elle

MPG Happy Talk

Here what I got for this tank's mpg. It wouldd have been higher, at or above 55, but the having to run it with ICE to check the oil killed it.

post-11711-0-73876700-1401810587_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sleddog

I do know that I barely ever use the service brakes, there is rust on all 4 rotors. :)

I have been wondering about the service brakes lately. Would it be a wise driving practice to do a firm stop at least once on each drive to keep those service brakes in good working order? Seems like the MPG impact for one firm stop would be negligible and may have a big benefit if it keeps the brakes in good working order. Thoughts?

It's almost impossible not to use the service brakes. I'm pretty sure I use them at least once on my commute by a changing traffic light or some "careful" lane changes by others.

Refueled and here's my tank average for the trip home. I'm hoping this tank will be over 55mpg.

post-11711-0-74097500-1401832801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sleddog

I've never seen anything like this before. Usually if I make a run solely on EV I'll see MPG 99.9. But 137 MPG is startling. It makes me wonder if something has gone wrong with the display or the computer.attachicon.gifIMG_1075.JPG

You only drove 1.4 miles, probably in EV mode the whole way. I usually end up over 100mpg when I drive home from the gas station - the engine is already warmed up, there is only 1 traffic light, and it's usually green, and I go into EV+ mode about .5 mile from the house. How was your mileage for the rest of your driving?

Great city trip today. Outbound was 55 MPG and home was high enough to get a round trip average of 58+. Here's the pic of the trip home:

CA23DBD0-C19C-43B0-B395-617039566D7B_zps

The outside temp was about 76 and I had the windows down & the sunroof open.

Great city trip today. Outbound was 55 MPG and home was high enough to get a round trip average of 58+.

That looks like strong evidence that you don't need to switch to 17" wheels/tires.

This makes me happy. may look pitiful compared to everything else posted, but considering its from a 365HP twin turbo V6, Not bad at all.

10380145_727736113935192_200057527766486

With temperature being in the upper 70's the past 2 weeks, I've consistently been getting 50-52 round trip on my commute to work. I'm flirting with a 47-48 mpg tank of gas, the only other time I did that was when I tried ethanol free.

I was at 47.7 over 460 miles on the tank when I left for work this morning. I'll probably need to fill up either tonight or tomorrow depending on where the evening takes me tonight, so I'll know for sure then.

after a week of not driving her she surprised me on the commute in to work this morning

20140606_054320.jpg

temp in the low 60's going the speed limits 45 - 65 mph

especially after driving these gas guzzlers

20140529_055816.jpg

avg is at 23 mpg

20140515_201437.jpg

avg is 21 mpg

Edited by Da0ne

With temperature being in the upper 70's the past 2 weeks, I've consistently been getting 50-52 round trip on my commute to work. I'm flirting with a 47-48 mpg tank of gas, the only other time I did that was when I tried ethanol free.

I was at 47.7 over 460 miles on the tank when I left for work this morning. I'll probably need to fill up either tonight or tomorrow depending on where the evening takes me tonight, so I'll know for sure then.

Filled the tank at 516.6 miles (300.8 EV) with the computer reading 47.8. I put 10.95 gallons in which works out to 47.1. That is my best tank ever!

Most recent tank. City driving in the summer really helps MPG. This tank would have been around 55 MPG in the black FFH with 17-inch tires. I could have made 600+ miles but we needed to fill up before going on a long drive tomorrow.

A50CE487-3B24-4E86-B4A0-C089487AF756_zps

Edited by hybridbear

Most recent tank. City driving in the summer really helps MPG. This tank would have pushed 60 MPG in the black FFH with 17-inch tires. I could have made 600+ miles but we needed to fill up before going on a long drive tomorrow.

HB, do you think the difference between your previous black FFH's mileage (would have pushed 60 MPG) and the 50.4 MPG of this one is mostly due to the wheel/tire difference? Seems like there must be other factors coming into play also.

HB, do you think the difference between your previous black FFH's mileage (would have pushed 60 MPG) and the 50.4 MPG of this one is mostly due to the wheel/tire difference? Seems like there must be other factors coming into play also.

I went back and edited my post to say 55 MPG instead of 60. As I thought back on this tank more I think that 55 would have been realistic in the black FFH based on its history.

There are a couple differences:

• Last summer when we had 55 MPG tanks in the black FFH it had 10,000+ miles on it. I had one tank before our Canadian road trip @ 54.6 MPG Fuelly and tanks after the road trip at 55.3 & 55.9 at the pump MPG. The white FFH just turned 5000 miles today. So there could still be some tire break in and engine break in that is lowering my MPG.
  • The white FFH has more features: BLIS, LKA, ACC, MFT, etc. Additional features add weight so the white FFH is likely heavier, but I have no idea how much heavier.
  • The white FFH has 18-inch Goodyear tires instead of 17-inch Michelin tires.

I don't know how those three differences interact, but they likely all play a role.

I hope to be able to do some testing with Larryh this summer to determine rolling resistance differences between the 17-inch Michelin tires & the 18-inch Goodyear tires.

Went from Toronto to Niagara Falls and back before I shipped my car.

About 300 km total, with an average of 6.0 L/100km, not the best I know. A/C was running (hot day), as was navigation. Also traffic was really bad at the last stage, and I stayed stuck long enough for the battery to completely deplete and the engine to start idling. Otherwise I might've gotten 5.0 L/100 km.

I got back from Iowa in my MKT and I am impressed with how well it does. 22-23 MPG at 72 MPH. Would have done better but hit rain on the last part of the trip which dropped it from 24 to 22.

Has anyone tried to get their Fusion Hybrid reset BACK to the original factory setting of prior to the "recalibration?" I've seen a significant drop in MPG and a major change in the way the car drives since the "recalibration" in September 2013. Prior to the "recal" I would have true hybrid performance with the EV and ICE running together. Now it's either running on the ICE or on EV. And the slightest acceleration or push on the accelerator and the engine kicks in, dropping the instantaneous MPG to 20. Most times the instantaneous MPG reading is 20 or all EV at 60.

Once the re calibration is done, I don't think there is anyway to reset it to the original version. You may want to do a search on this subject, it's been covered before.

You only drove 1.4 miles, probably in EV mode the whole way. I usually end up over 100mpg when I drive home from the gas station - the engine is already warmed up, there is only 1 traffic light, and it's usually green, and I go into EV+ mode about .5 mile from the house. How was your mileage for the rest of your driving?

Actually that was the entire trip. But overall, I've seen a significant drop in MPG and a major change in the way the car drives since the "recalibration" in September 2013. Prior to the "recal" I would have true hybrid performance with the EV and ICE running together. Now it's either running on the ICE or on EV. And the slightest acceleration or push on the accelerator and the engine kicks in, dropping the instantaneous MPG to 20. Most times the instantaneous MPG reading is 20 or all EV at 60. On a short trip of a give or take a mile or two, I might get in the 20s. On longer drives of five miles or more, I'll get in the upper 30s or mid 40s. I do live in metro Atlanta where it is a bit hilly. But overall, my total history since April is around 40 mpg. Before the recalibration I was getting around 47. I truly believe the "recalibration" degraded the car's performance.

Consistency is great. I found her sweet spot on rural Highways. Full battery charge, and light throttle to maintain speed and easily sits at upper 40's or 50 on the instant. All time high this morning for my long trip of dropping off the kids which has a lot of hills to climb. Last tank was 47.1, wondering if I can repeat it this tank.

1907767_733781709997299_4012331231595074

Consistency is great. I found her sweet spot on rural Highways. Full battery charge, and light throttle to maintain speed and easily sits at upper 40's or 50 on the instant. All time high this morning for my long trip of dropping off the kids which has a lot of hills to climb. Last tank was 47.1, wondering if I can repeat it this tank.

All those great numbers on individual trips and tanks just as Ford lowered the ratings. Your car must read the news... ;)

And again, almost exactly 100 miles later. Back to 100 miles a day trips now that the keeds are out of skrool.

10497444_734291183279685_189992285266391

Oh and just for kicks.

10256598_734291229946347_341528233960730

Here's the mileage from my trip to work today...

Going in.

post-11711-0-40752500-1403130542_thumb.jpg

And coming home.

post-11711-0-15560800-1403130491_thumb.jpg

I had a better brake score going in. I made most of the lights. But had better mileage coming home. That includes a couple of fast started and going 65 to pass some slow pokes.

Edited by Sleddog