coach81

2013 Hybrid MPG Results

Here is my 2 cents: I think you have a defective sensor causing the computer to generate late ignition timing.

Me too, however, their fancy expensive computer is telling them that the fuel delivery is spot on.

Were the people in that line of cars behind me angry when I dropped below 50 mph crossing the Berry’s Creek Bridge? Maybe, but I was too deep in the “hypermiling” zone to worry. Coasting into the tunnel under the Hudson River I reached a peak of 56 mpg on the trip computer.

After the long climb back to street level I had 53 mpg in hand. The reading was 52 mpg when I reached my destination a few blocks away at 54th Street.

I wonder what the temps were. This is pretty much how mine has to be driven to GET 40 MPG.

Air filter restrictions don't affect anything. The mass airflow sensor accounts for the air intake changes due to temperature and altitude. You might lose a little power.

Well, I picked mine up from the dealer after I discovered how little I was getting for it, and I hypermiled to the gas station, which is about 15 miles, and got 40.6, then hypermiled to my house after filling up and again got 40.6. Temps mid 30's. On the trip home from work in my 2010, just driving like I always do, 41.8 MPG. I would really like to know just what the heck is causing it to use so much gas. If I had more time to play with it, I would try blocking off everything and seeing if the temps are the problem.

Fynack: So you're going to spend about $10k more so that you can increase your mileage by about 7 mpg? Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. Isn't getting good mileage about saving money? Your decision seems to be based only on principle. If you read the Toyota forums, they are also getting less than EPA in this colder weather. One poster who came close to getting the FFH but got a great deal on a TCH was a little shocked when his mileage was around 26 mpg the first three weeks he had it.

I disagree, I test drove both a Camry and an Avalon Hybrid in 20* temps, and both of them got 40 MPG. I can drive the 2010 Fusion and get 40 MPG in the cold. None of them have their grills covered. None of them require Pulse and Glide to get 40 MPG, but if you do P&G you can get much higher results. The Fusion is the ONLY hybrid I have not been able to hit EPA in on a test drive, regardless of the temps.

I have to agree with Fynack on this though, the tank is way too small, and has to be filled twice as often as the one in our 2010. When you consider that it is getting about what a 2.5L Fusion gets, that is 10K right there! We already know not to drive over 62 MPH or there is a huge MPG hit, add in the cold temps and it is even worse. This is the only Hybrid I have had that has taken such a HUGE cold temp hit. 17% acceptable, 30% is not. Never has any of the hybrids I owned dropped this much in cold weather. When you consider that the 2010-12 FFH has a combined of 39, and it gets it, and in the very cold weather drops to maybe 34, that is only a 5 MPG penalty. When the 13 FFH rated at 47, gets 34, that's a 13 MPG penalty. Neither the Prius, Camry or older Fusion dropped that much, not even when I was goofing off and wasting gas! Majority of my trips are at least 30 miles, so I dont count in short runs where I know it wont get above 30 in any of them, but the daily drive is 34 miles each way, mostly highway @ 55MPH, and the new Fusion just does not cut it, not when I can get into any other hybrid and get at or very near the EPA in them.

Using my graph You are getting the mileage you should be getting at that temp. Add 8mpg and you are right where you should be.

So you are saying that the new 2013 Fusion Hybrid is far less efficient than the 2010-12 Fusion hybrids? Maybe Ford shouldn't be selling these where it gets below 50*, then they wont have so many complaints.

IOW that is a bag of BS. Ford has the only Hybrid, the Fusion/Cmax that gets punched down 30% or more when its cold, while all the others have 17% or less cold temp affects? Please tell me more, I really am interested how I was able to get 41.8 MPG in my 2010 yesterday in 38* weather, which BTW is rated at 41 City, 36 Highway, and 80% of the drive was HIGHWAY. Why then does it take extreme driving techniques to squeak 40 MPG out of a car rated 47 MPG, when those same techniques can get 90 out of a Prius?

Ford screwed up big time on these, the new one is not as efficient as the first generation, Especially not on the highway! Regardless of the EPA ratings, they aren't even getting what the previous generation can get! I have BOTH cars, and I can easily get EPA in the 2010, and better even when its 20* outside, yet the new one can barely crack 30.

That crap might pass for a newbie hybrid owner, but that BS stops at my door, it holds as much water as a sieve. Remember I said the 2010 is rated 36/41/39? It can do much better than that on the interstate.

563189_510085279033611_986596045_n.jpg