coach81

2013 Hybrid MPG Results

Aw man those are good number, from all of youse guys. :) Hybridbear, those were the numbers I was expecting to see when I drove to Florida, so you can understand my frustration. Thanks for sharing

It's sad that your car is defective.

I think part of the issue here is that the difference between 47 & 39 feels like a huge drop. But in reality that is a much smaller drop than if you went from 28 to 20 MPG. Another factor is that we all expect really high mileage because the car is a hybrid, so when it falls even a few MPGs short we are all disappointed.

How many of you would complain this loudly if you bought a truck that said 20 MPG combined EPA but only got 18 MPG? You most likely wouldn't complain at all. But that percentage difference is the same as what most of us who don't have defective cars are seeing. Our average of 42 MPG compared to 47 is about the same percentage difference as 18 versus 20. It just feels more significant because the numbers are so much higher

Umm (hand raised) :) When I got my F150 Ecoboost, the gas mileage was far below what Ford claimed, and after they checked it out, they said run premium in it if you want to get better gas mileage. They were right however as I did get 18 when I did that, and on the interstate it did get EPA as they claimed. The percentage is about right once I compared gearing weight and everything. I found its sweet spot was 1700 RPM or less which worked out to be about 67 MPH max, and that netted me 21-24 MPG on the interstate.

Drove on cruise 55 mph today from a cold start. 10 miles. Only got 36mpg. Turns out i was driving into a 12mph headwind, but at 55 it seemed to not want to go into ev at all. Temp was around 32 degrees. I also just discovered how to turn on the ecocruise, so I havent tried it yet.

Vehicle speed lowers mpg. 0.6 mpg per 1.0 mph speed increase and since aerodynamic drag is about half the resistance, wind alone should account for about a 0.3 mpg loss per 1.0 mph headwind. That wind cost you about 4 mpg. Tailwinds work the opposite. It's not linear but it's a good approximation that my observations confirm. I was on an interstate with my 2010 FFH some time ago and the bar graphs started to decline over a half hour from about 40 mpg to about 35 for no apparent reason other than a brief misty rain with little temperature change. When we got out of the car, we realized the wind had picked to about 20 mph on the nose. We had driven through a weather front and the car has so little air noise and handles so well at speed I didn't recognize the headwind buildup.

You've mentioned this Fla trip often enough but I can't recall if you mentioned the number of people in the car, luggage and total load the car was carrying.

Maybe the computer 'learned' your driving habits from that trip and is haunting you.

I'd try everything I could think of including a system 'Hard Reset', disconnect the car battery overnight, boil the thermostat, tear up sheets and throw the cat out.

It was just me and my mom, with two light suitcases. I kept it at 65 and under for most of the trip, also did the hard resets and everything. Left the cat home too. I started the trip with over 1000 miles on the car, and when I got back it had about 3600.

So I went to breakfast with wifey this morning in my FFH. When we got there, I expected the MPG to be in the high 40's but I only saw 43 so I wondered out loud to my demise "I guess the extra pounds really affects the MPG". I felt a burning sensation from the passenger side and saw my wife's "THE LOOK" that I haven't seen in years! I might have to sleep in my car tonight.

At least you will be comfortable.

Drove against a 30-40mph-gust snow storm from a cold start on my way to work yesterday, got 32mpg, worst Ive ever seen. Got this on the way back...

That's a 60 mph wind difference. The wind penalty is 0.3 mpg per wind mph = 18 mpg. Yours was 50-32=18.