coach81

2013 Hybrid MPG Results

If this is your first hybrid, it takes a bit to learn to go easy on the gas pedal to keep it on electric more. Also once you get it to 40-50 MPH ease up on the gas and it should revert to electric if the ICE is not needed for 1) propulsion 2) charging 3) keeping the engine warm.

28MPG doesn't sound very good, even for the break-in period for a new car, but that is also a factor that will cause MPG to be lower at first.

Try avoiding EV when significant power is required like in acceleration.

Another thing is to anticipate the red lights ahead and be a bit smoother in slowing sooner and restarting from 10MPH instead of quickly getting to a red light and starting again from 0MPH. The same applies for all cars or course, but the more you take advantage of a 3,500lb chunk of metal already moving rather than trying to get back up to speed will also improve the MPG. Of course be sensible when doing this and don't be a big impediment for other drivers behind you... I normally try to plan way ahead like that as long as there are no cars behind me, and I believe it improves MPG and has also enabled me to still have my original brake pads at 140,000 miles, just pulled the wheels again last weekend and still about 1/4 of the pads remain.

Some good imformation here. I may be picking up a 2013 FFH on Friday. My current 2010 FFH is getting about 38 overall, it was getting over 40 during the summer, but the colder weather has set in, so the ICE needs to run a bit more. On my initial test drive, it was short, and dark, and did not know how to setup the dash, so no clue what the MPG is. However I did test drive a Cmax today, and got the dash setup, and the short 3 mile trip at 55 MPH and down saw 38.5 MPG and climbing. If anything a good indicator of what its potential is.

What I noticed is it has a lot more power than the 2010, and is also very sensitive to throttle input. Since I am used to the power indicators being on the right side, it will take some getting used to the left hand display. I also noticed that highway speeds will take some relearning on my part, it switches between ICE and EV instead of using both to maintain speed, so on ICE its 20 MPG, and ~ on EV, then combined to get average MPG. So IOW if you have a heavy foot, you will use more ICe than EV and get poor MPG.

The one I have lined up is loaded with park assist, adaptive cruise, Nav, Sunroof, etc. and I have yet to fully see it in daylight.

The rear seats fold! My planes should fit in it, at least my Kadet LT40 will, the 4*120, not so sure yet.

Well, I have to agree, there is something not quite right with the new Fusion Hybrid. It may just need more miles on it before it starts getting good, but I just cant see it getting 47 right now. My 2010 gets me good MPG, right around 38 in the cold, 40 when its warm, and on the same roads, driving the same way, the new one barely eeks out 35. The weekend temps were right around 60, and I thought good, this is the best weather for getting high MPG, NOT, still barely eeked out 35. Every bar is maxed out too, cant do much better than that.

What I wonder about are the tires, Goodyear Eagles on a hybrid? Shouldnt they have been LRR Michelins?