coach81

2013 Hybrid MPG Results

I am ticked off at Ford right now, and I'm sure others will be once they learn that the tires are the reason for crappy MPG on some cars. I dont understand why they decided to use non Hybrid tires on the premium wheels. To replace them with the corret type of tire will run at least $1200.

Thanks Ford.

I am ticked off at Ford right now, and I'm sure others will be once they learn that the tires are the reason for crappy MPG on some cars. I dont understand why they decided to use non Hybrid tires on the premium wheels. To replace them with the corret type of tire will run at least $1200.

You may be correct in your analysis on the cause of the lower MPG, but after a couple of responses from those with the 18" wheels do you think that is a large enough sample to make the conclusion?

I've had 3 sets of tires on my 2010, first was the OEM and then the "fuelmax" (will not get those again), and now normal goodyear assurance comfortred (I like these) -- I've not experienced a sizable difference when using any of these three sets. I would guess that on the 2013 hybrids maybe there is a difference between having the 17" and 18" rims and types of OEM tires that come along with them, but seems like the OP is experiencing about 8-10MPG lower than what he expected? That seems like quite a large difference that seems odd since my 3 sets of tires had very little difference -- it's definitely possible since this is a new model and different size/type of tire, but just seems odd to have such a large swing.

One thing that comes to mind for me that has nothing to do with the tires is regarding the different type of HV battery now that it's changed to Lithium Ion -- I wonder if we will find that these are more susceptible to degraded performance in the colder (or hotter) weather? I have no idea, just thinking about other major changes from the previous model that could be a factor.

I am getting exactly the same results as the OP, with the exact same tires. Today I drove it like I stole it, did no hypermiling, no hybrid cruising, or any of the other tricks, and got 35 MPG. It appears the car is going to get 35 MPG whether I drive it normally, or hypermile it. Considering the tires on it are very similar to the ones I had on my 2010 Fusion Sport, and that car was difficult to get good MPG in it(when I tried), leads me to believe that the tires are the root cause of not getting at least 43 MPG. I want to find out if the 2010 rims will fit the 2013, and to a tire swap, calculating the MPG via GPS since the speedometer will be off a bit.

I did some pricing, it will cost $1200 to replace the tires with the correct type.

I just noticed your Sig, you get the same MPG in your 2010 as I do.

Hi acdii. You've been around these forums some time so you're well informed and experienced with hybrids. I would only expect a few mpg difference between tires so this is all very puzzling as some posters are reporting good 2013 mpg. As I recall, Ford touted the fifteen spoke design of the 2010 wheels as an aerodynamic low drag feature. I think I read that the 2013 has fairings under the whole car instead of just the front like the 2010. It seems unlikely that a aerodynamic mismatch with the 18" performance tires would be that large. If you swap the wheels for a test, do it to both cars. Do the 2013 dash displays give you all the information of the 2010 plus coaching scores? How do steady state instantaneous mpg. compare?

Now that its in the 30's outside in only getting about 29 MPG city with the climate on auto (68 degrees) and a braking score between 88-94...

So it's significantly worse than before, right? I raised the above thought as I wondered if declaring the difference in tires (which may still be a factor to X degree) being the culprit might be premature, given the small sample set. Now with you getting even lower MPG, you haven't put on different tires but the weather got even colder, so I wonder if the new type of battery might be more susceptible to "mood swings" as the temperature also swings?

But with your pitiful MPG, it is probably worth a trip back to the dealer so they can put it on their whiz-bang analyzer(s) to make sure that it doesn't need some type of software adjustments, hopefully that wouldn't take long unless it needs to sit there for an extended period so they can assess cold vs warm engine settings, etc.

Question to all drivers, how quickly does your car slow down when you lift your foot off the gas? Seems like there is a lot more drag in the new car vs the old one. The biggest factor of drag, is of course the tires on these cars, since the COD is 0.027(or close to it). On stretches of road in the 2010 where I lift my foot to coast, and pretty much stay at speed, when I do it in the 13, the car slows down, quickly too.

Also of note, when on ICE, the instant readout is in the 30's and never goes above 40. When I try to feather it, it either slows down, or transitions to EV and slows down. When on Ecocruise, it pretty much stays on ICE too. Rarely does it go into EV. I have to P&G just to get it near 40.

Question to all drivers, how quickly does your car slow down when you lift your foot off the gas? Seems like there is a lot more drag in the new car vs the old one. The biggest factor of drag, is of course the tires on these cars, since the COD is 0.027(or close to it). On stretches of road in the 2010 where I lift my foot to coast, and pretty much stay at speed, when I do it in the 13, the car slows down, quickly too.

Also of note, when on ICE, the instant readout is in the 30's and never goes above 40. When I try to feather it, it either slows down, or transitions to EV and slows down. When on Ecocruise, it pretty much stays on ICE too. Rarely does it go into EV. I have to P&G just to get it near 40.

You are not inadvertently in "L" are you? It was easy to do in the FFH gen 1 as there was little detent between D and L.

HAH no, been there, done that in the 10! In L the ICE is running, and quite noticeable when I do it.

However, that is the feeling I get when I let off the pedal, as if its in L, and I look to make sure I didn't stick it low, but its in D.