coach81

2013 Hybrid MPG Results

I dont know if something is wrong with my car...

I DO drive many short <10 miles in cold weather (City Driving to me is usually short trips, and I live in Northern Michigan)

I have the radio on, and the Climate set to Auto 68 degrees (Really dont think that qaulifies as "Everything Running"

I am trying extermely hard to get good gas milage!! I do not mash my pedal ever

Having the climate control on auto runs the ICE till it's warm enough to heat the cabin. It will not go into EV and that kills your short cold driving mpg. But don't freeze. This is a comfortable car, just realize it takes a lot of gasoline to do this in cold weather. It 's using the same extra amount of gas as any car but what was a 2 mpg. hit in your old F-150 getting 15 mpg. is now a 6 mpg. loss in your 45 mpg FFH 2. This angst happens to every new hybrid driver that buys their car in the fall in the North. These cars also have a 2 mpg. loss for every 10ºF decrease. If they did the tests at 60ºF, at 20ºF you will lose 8 mpg ( At 90ºF you will gain 6 mpg ). There will be wild variations in short trips in all seasons but more so in winter. Make sure you reset counters to give you up to date tank mileages. Display the bars at the longest interval.

acdii, I don't understand why the FFH-2 should have more coasting drag than the FFH-1.

Does anyone else feel like the Battery drains pretty quick... 2 miles on EV at 25 MPH and I kill half the battery charge???

Two miles is a lot. They're not designed for more. My 2010 FFH does 1/2 mile EV then 1/2 mile ICE at 30 mph. All that's necessary is that it cycle. The distance is unimportant. Don't coax EV unless the HVB is higher than average or you're nearing the end of the trip ( which the 2013 learns ).

Does anyone else feel like the Battery drains pretty quick... 2 miles on EV at 25 MPH and I kill half the battery charge???

Go take a long road trip, get out of town, and get some miles put on it, Once you do that. you may be seeing more hybrid like MPG.

When I get back from my trip, if I still feel drag I will have the dealer take a look at the brakes, and alignment. I pumped my tires to 45 PSI to see if that helps.

I had to take a 120 (145ish total miles) mile highway trip two ways so one way I drove exactly 62 MPH and on the return trip I drove 75 MPH. @62MPH I got 37.2 MPG @75 MPH I got 31.5 MPG... I knew there would be a big differance and sure enough it was 6 MPG.. It only worked out to be a differance of about 1 gallon of gas and it saved me about 25 minutes drive time

What was the temperature?

My 2010 FFH gets 45 mpg. at 50 mph. and 60º F. The 2010 FFH's EPA highway rating is 36 mpg. Mileage reduces 0.2 mpg for every 1.0º F. drop and 0.6 mpg. for every 1.0 mph increase. The 2013 FFH on the highway should get over 56 ( 45 + ( 47-36 ) mpg. at 50 mph. and 60º F. Let's do the math. At 62 mph that's -7.2 mpg and 30º F. -6 mpg = -13 mpg. That's 56-13= 43 mpg. You got 37.2 mpg. At 75 mph the numbers are -15 and -13 for -28 mpg. for a net of 28 mpg and you got 31.5. The computed average is 35.5 mpg and you got 34.3 mpg average. I think there is nothing wrong with the car as this little math exercise shows only 1.2 mpg difference. My estimates can easily be off that much and are for smooth, straight sea level roads. It looks like you had a tailwind on the faster trip and a headwind on the slow one. There are many other effects also. Enjoy the car and wait for spring. The numbers go over The EPA over 60º F up to about 95º F. when it levels off due to AC load.

Turn off the AC compressor when you don't need it. It usually runs too much at lower temps.

Edited by lolder

That's strange, I drove a 75mph route a couple days ago and got over 40, I think 45 or so.

All modern cars including hybrids do better at higher altitudes.

When you cant get in the 40's, when the temps are in the 70's, with Climate turned off, drafting a Semi @ 60 MPH, what does that tell you? When I had a Prius, I did the draft @ 1.5 seconds behind a flatbed truck and got 75 MPG. On this trip barely touched 40, all the rest of the trip, whether I used Cruise, hyper mile, P&G, Drafting, 60 MPH 70 MPH, all it got was around 36 MPG. Pretty crappy mileage.