taker52

miles per gallon

39.8 MPG over 117k miles, sticker is 41 City / 36 Mighway... I think I'm a bit better than sticker as 90% of my miles are on I-95.

Several of your warranties are probably still in force. That mod might invalidate them. The FFH is a very carefully balanced design that I would think more than twice about modifying.

Several of your warranties are probably still in force. That mod might invalidate them. The FFH is a very carefully balanced design that I would think more than twice about modifying.

I agree, seems like a big risk based on how much money you might save on gas (after the cost of the gizmo, that is)... if you do it, good luck and let us know how it goes, but I sure wouldn't.

For all the new hybrid drivers entering into the cold seasons, the biggest break in factor is you. There is a little improvement in the car but not much. The first generation FFH has a 0.2 mpg loss per degree F. fall of temperature. It gets about 45 mpg at 50 mph and 60 d.F. If the temperature drops 40 d. F. to 20 d. F., the mileage will drop 8 mpg ! I would expect the 2013 FFH to have the same characteristics. That cold weather loss doesn't even include heating the cabin which will kill short trip winter mileage. Your old non-hybrid was much worse only it didn't tell you most of the time. You northerners will not see much good mileage till spring when the weather warms and you get better at being a hybrid driver. Since new, my EPA 39 mpg 2010 has done 41 mpg. in FL. My hit is in the summer with AC but that is somewhat mitigated by the better warm weather mpg. The most economical outside temperature with AC on is about 90-95 d. F. Above that the AC becomes a hog. Don't worry about the winter.

If you avoid charging and discharging the HVB, ( there are arrows on the HVB gauge in the first gen. FFH ) during P & G, you will get maximum economy as you are avoiding the generate/charge/discharge/motor EV cycle. This has more loss than ICE direct mechanical drive mode. You'll probably get almost 30 % more mpg. that way. It is tedious doing that type of P & G and varying the speed and diverts your attention from the road. I can get 60-70 mpg. doing that at 25-35 mph in my 2010 FFH with no AC.

I hate hills, but even with them the lifetime average on my 2010 is holding pretty steady at 38 and change. I have only owned it sine last Spetember, so more winter than summer temps, but summer was pretty consistent at 40 and change. I do more rural 55 MPH driving than anything else, and its much different than driving on the highway. When I drive the tollway I get 45-50 MPG, and when I can drive in suburban areas where the average is 35-45 I easily get 45 MPG. Unfortunately the roads I take every day undulate, so trying to maintain a steady speed and good FE, not that easy. I know which stretches give me poor MPG, so I tend to drive a bit faster on them, and more conservative on the roads I know give me the best FE, so goo dmix and anywhere from 38 to 43 MPG depending on the temps.

Rain however kills the MPG, no matter what I try, if the roads are wet, its like having a parachute on the car. Need new tires soon, so that might help.

When I first got the car, it had sat in a garage for a year, and only had 850 miles on it. It took at least 3500 miles before the MPG started to come up, and it wasn't until it reached 13K that it became consistent. My only complaints on the car is the handling, and that wimpy growl from the engine. I've been trying to find aftermarket springs for it, but no luck.

Glad I founb this topic. I've had a 2010 FFH since April. I live in Massachusets. Through the middle of October, I was getting 41 mpg. Since then, it has been 35. I was worried something was drastically wrong. Can't wait for the spring to crack the 40 mpg again.

Yep, the MPG takes a hit in the colder weather, and also takes a hit in really hot weather... otherwise it's good.