coach81

2013 Hybrid MPG Results

Your probably right but why would a company knowing this still advertise the 47/47/47 number. Ford talking to the EPA about changing the test proves they knew it was flawed. They should have never reported those numbers and instead gave it something like 40/40/40. 40/40/40 is more reasonable since as an estimate some will get more and some will get less based on driving habit and conditions. But NO ONE is get 47 period. They took that risk to try to be the "prius slayer" and youll see the value of the model nose dive.

If Ford had rated the car with those numbers, then the mileage I was getting would have fallen right where I expected it to be, however, I would not have purchased the car then. Why would I spend the extra on the car when I can get a 2012 that does the same thing and costs several thousand less? Good points here in all respects.

In City driving, mine did hit the 47 mark, but I dont do much city driving, mainly rural highways, where the 2010-12 model excels, the 2013 does not, and they overshot the mark there, and really should have been much more realistic even if the car can do that on the EPA tests. I saw how they do it, you have to drive the car to mimic the EPA test, but who really drives like that? Who wants to take that chance driving like that and have Bubba in his 4X4 running you off the road? A more realistic rating would have been what they rated the Gen I at, maybe 41/47/43? That is what we are seeing now.

I don't understand why you have to be so negative. I still don't see what Ford has done wrong. They built an excellent hybrid, they tested it on the EPA cycle and got 47/47/47, they have published those numbers on the window sticker and in their advertising complete with the "your mileage will vary" disclaimer. What did Ford do wrong? Just because you can't get 47 MPG right now doesn't mean Ford did something wrong. Think about the differences between your driving and the EPA cycles. You are using winter blend gasoline, which also is likely 10% ethanol. That right there explains about 2 MPG in difference. You're also driving in colder temperatures. The EPA tests are done at 60 degrees or above. Every 10 degree temperature drop explains another 2 MPG in your difference. You are also using the heat, radio, lights, carrying extra weight in the car of cargo or passengers and doing a lot of other things that make you circumstances different from the EPA tests.

By this reasoning, my 2010 would be getting 28 MPG instead of 37 in this cold weather with winter blend gas, am I right? In summer it gets 43, in winter roughly 34 on average, but this morning, 37, in 24* temps. The other day 39 in the same temps, yesterday 34, but it was also 9*. So why is it the Gen I Ford hybrid is doing so much better than the Gen II? Then again, those who are getting over 40, how many miles at 55 are you doing vs 35-40? That right there makes a huge difference. The new FFH does not do well at all at highway speeds, and that is where the biggest beef is. It has been noted quite a bit how quickly MPG drops off over 62 MPH in these cars. In fact the non hybrids aren't fairing so well in this department either, very few owners are seeing highway EPA, or even close to it.

In city driving mine did very well, never had a complaint about the city driving, but I do very little city, at least 80% is at 55 MPH, and that is why the MPG is so dang low, it sucks at highway speeds.

The truth will come out: ACDII works for Toyota. :hysterical3:

Ha Ha Ha vewy funny!!!!!

Just for that I should go Achmed on your ass! :)

achmed_the_dead_terrorist_by_kalesta.jpg

My gripe isn't with the Fusion, its with Ford. The new Fusion is a really nice car, one of the best they have made in quite some time. One of the best FWD cars I have ever driven in snow. The way Ford has been treating me over my issue with the car is what has me all upset and why I no longer want to drive the car. The sooner its gone the sooner I can move on. I do miss driving it, but I dont miss obsessing on trying to get better then 35 MPG, nor having cold feet by the time I get to work.

We love our 2010 Fusion Hybrid, great car, very good gas mileage, and have I ever griped about it? Nope. I griped at myself for busting it that one time though.

my daily commute is 14 miles each way, in the morning i get about 34 mpg and in the evening i get 39 mpg granted the temps have been between 20 - 30 here daily, but next week its suppose to be in mid 30 - mid 40 so i should see a better mpg, either way its better than what i used to get on my 07 corolla which would only get me 30 mpg in the city and my 00 jeep which that one is 11-13 mpg

If you are in NYC then the first 5 (approx based on temp, of course) miles will have poor MPG while the cabin is being heated and engine warms up... when you have days where the mornings are in the mid 60s or 70 it will not take nearly as long for the warmup(s) and hopefully your MPG will increase nicely, commensurate with the better outside temps!

Edited by jeff_h