coach81

2013 Hybrid MPG Results

Well, I dont know if y'all saw the video I posted in the 13 that shows how it is supposed to get 40 MPG, but just for the hell of it, going to do the same again in my 2010 showing how I normally drive it to get 38-40 MPG on the same roads. The scan gauge will be off a bit as it is not calibrated to the 2010.

Oh by the way, that dash computer, its a Feel Good Meter, it is normal to have a 10% variance on the plus side. The SM and Ford Engineer both said it read higher than their IDS and normally does. Dont take it for granted, trust but verify and dont be surprised if your actual is lower than computed, "it's Normal".

Where did you post the video?

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=506827049359434

I have 2 more I can link if you want, but one should be enough to get the idea.

Tonight test drove a used 2012 Camry hybrid, fully loaded, easily got 41.7 in it, then road tested an Avalon, got 40 in it. Each one was about a 30 minute drive from cold. The Camry had 14K on it, so it was broke in, and the Avalon had 335 miles on it. Cant afford the Avalon, but it sure was nice. We can afford the Camry, but still want to give the Ford one last chance, so going to a different Ford dealer who has a Hybrid built in December that I want to test drive, and see if it is easier to get 40 in, and if it does, will hit up my dealer one more time to look into a deal.

I really cant imagine this car being this hard to get good mileage in

So Ford ran the EPA test and got 47mpg but they knew that in the real world that wasnt going to be possible, yet they still marketed as 47mpg. Sounds like fraud to me. Yes, they can say ""EPA TESTED AT 47mpg"" in a lawsuit but people arent going to sit by and get 35-37mpg and go "no one ever gets epa estimates" and live with it. Especially when its 20 to 25% below the advertised EPA estimates. If I were getting 40.5 I wouldnt complain and thats still almost 9% lower then advertised epa. Also I am a first time hybrid driver but after 2500 miles ive learned how to squeeze every mile out of this thing. I also think the cold has an affect on MPG but this is ridiculous is the temperature alone is taking 20 to 25% of my MPGs. All i know is I need a partial refund or a complete buy back.

Also are all hybrid this painful to drive where you have to watch the speedometer , ev, and of course the road.

I think you noted somewhere that you have mostly short trips, right? If so, that's where your MPG is suffering - if one's driving is known to be short trips, and you really are interested in great MPG, then an Energi is the thing to buy... though most find that a bit cost-prohibitive to say the least.

Yes if someone wants to get the range of MPG possible in a hybrid, one's learned driving behavior has to change. Drive it like a conventional car and you will get conventional MPG.

How do you get your EV threshhold to go up so high on the Empower screen? I saw in the video that your EV threshhold was all the way up to 3 bars worth of power demand before the ICE would kick on. Ours is never that high. Even with a full battery or in EV+ mode it only ever gets up to about 2 or 2.5 bars for the maximum threshhold. Your battery was only about 75% full and you were still getting an EV threshhold that was really high!! Do you know why?

Engine temps! I was surprised to see that too when we went on our test drive, because like you, I never saw it that high. I think what happens is the very slow acceleration to 60 MPH heats the engine up quicker, so once it hits 170* then that bar goes up like that.

Then again, they COULD have found something, tweaked it, and didn't tell anyone. I wouldn't put it past them either.

Engine temps! I was surprised to see that too when we went on our test drive, because like you, I never saw it that high. I think what happens is the very slow acceleration to 60 MPH heats the engine up quicker, so once it hits 170* then that bar goes up like that.

I'm sure you showed your Service Mgr the pics that you've posted here... did you have that scangauge hooked up during your test drive with them, or was that not possible? I would think that a software glitch (I guess?) that is preventing the proper thermostat function and thus preventing proper operating temp would have been a valid complaint for which the dealer could actually do some verifiable work and adjustments...

According to them, if their $40,000 laptop doesn't see a problem, then it doesn't exist. They looked at the pics and everything and according to Ford, those are normal temps. The software is specifically designed to work with the Hybrid systems. So if there is a software glitch in the laptop that mirrors an issue with the car, then it would appear normal to them. They said it got up to 198*, but They also drove it for 4 hours and put 100 miles on the car. Yeah, I can drive it for 2 hours and get the temps up, doesnt help much when it takes an hour to warm up, and my drive is under an hour.

Whatever, I just need to stop messing with it and move on. This new Ford designed Hybrid system aint like the old one, so who the hell knows whats normal and whats not.

My guess is that Ford is not looking for a resolution because in their eyes there is no problem - they've already proved this to acdii. Because there are people getting the MPGs, those who don't are not driving the car correctly. Case closed.

Yep, you pretty much nailed it. This is basically what I was told. The Service Manager doesnt like this answer, but there isnt a thing he can do. As far as Ford is concerned this car is running perfectly. As for the EV bar, it never got that high in all the time I drove it, only when the SM drove it when I was with him did I see it go that high, and then when I drove it that same way, that is when I see it. I didn't drive it as well as he did, mainly because having an 18 Wheeler on my ass pushed me to keep it over 50.

AFAIC Ford built the car to ace EPA tests as a marketing strategy, and is relying on the Your Mileage May Vary clause. So if you cant achieve their EPA ratings, so what.

How did he drive it to get the EV threshhold that high?

Good question, but it does go up that high now, but only after I have been driving for at least an hour or more, and only after that does the engine temp stay at 180*. Only on Empower by itself, if you use the same screen as your myview though, it doesnt go that high.

Well like I said, I don't think its normal having to drive the car they way he showed me to get decent MPG like you get. Especially not when you can get into any other Hybrid and get at or very near their EPA numbers. The fact my EV screen is different than yours, makes it even more suspicious.

Doesn't really matter, soon it will be somebody else's problem. Going to be tough going without a car for two or more months, but gotta do what I gotta do.