hybridbear

After the PCM software update/recalibration - observations by Hybridbear

Sometimes I wish I had more city driving to see how I do there. Beyond my commute back and forth to work, which is mostly highway miles, I don't drive very much.

I think that falls into the category of not asking a question you might not like the answer to. I get lower mileage on the street than

at 75mph

I tend to average around 63 mpg when doing non-highway driving. Since I don't live in a major metropolitan area, I don't have long strings of badly timed traffic lights to force me to constantly start and stop.

Had mine done over the weekend. Trip in today was about normal, I generally vary between 50- 62MPG coming downhill to work (about 2500 foot drop in elevation), I got 55. I did notice very different behavior with much more EV mode, but then it would kick in to ICE to recharge when SOC fell below half. Usually see 36-42 on the uphill return trip.

Clearly, the changes will require some adjustments on my driving habits as I learn the nuances of the new algorithms.

Ok, A full week with the update and it seems that given my 95%+ highway driving, about 50% of which is 75MPH, and 20% deals with congestion, I am seeing little improvement.

I started using Trip counters to look at round trip, I am getting high 50's downhill (to work), and around 40 uphill. RT is high 40s. Prior to the update, uphill was 2-3 MPG lower, but downhill same or slightly better. So, I am not convinced it is a net benefit. Too bad you cannot switch modes on the fly...

All in all, I can't complain, update was free and it is not costing me anything in lost MPG. And the FFH is cutting my fuel cost by 60% over the Audi I used to drive.

I wish I could leave everything alone and manually lower the EV point back to 62mph. I find on extended highway rides I get better gas milage at 70mph once the battery charges than I do at 65mph with the ev mode going on and off. I guess in a short exit to exit jump on the interstate this could be of benefit.

Fold down the right rear seat back.

Open the access panel.

That is the HVB disconnect.

Just be careful that the car doesn't figure out what you are doing or you might be hearing "I'm sorry Dave but I can't allow you to do that."

I don't understand how this helps being the battery meter works on a voltage reading not a static up and down calculated by use

Did you have ac on during that trip and what were outside temps? I'll consider doing it depending on conditions and all. I don't remember if my 43mpg was before or after the update

Did you have ac on during that trip and what were outside temps? I'll consider doing it depending on conditions and all. I don't remember if my 43mpg was before or after the update