hybridbear

After the PCM software update/recalibration - observations by Hybridbear

Had mine done over the weekend. Trip in today was about normal, I generally vary between 50- 62MPG coming downhill to work (about 2500 foot drop in elevation), I got 55. I did notice very different behavior with much more EV mode, but then it would kick in to ICE to recharge when SOC fell below half. Usually see 36-42 on the uphill return trip.

Clearly, the changes will require some adjustments on my driving habits as I learn the nuances of the new algorithms.

Lately, I've been pretty reliably getting right around 53mpg +/- on my commute to and from work. Before the PCM update the best I could reliably get was 50-51mpg.

I just got a 2013 Fusion Hybrid yesterday. Is there a way to tell if I have the update? Sorry if this has been answered.

I just got a 2013 Fusion Hybrid yesterday. Is there a way to tell if I have the update? Sorry if this has been answered.

See if you can get it to go into EV mode at or above 65mph. If you can, you have the patch.

Just picked up my new 2013 FFH yesterday as well.

been reading in this form for over a week now, and its what drove me to purchase this over other fuel saving cars. So far been very happy with it.

Now to get some plastic dip to darken up those wheels.

Edited by EddieWinslow

Oh if only I didnt have so many hills to climb every day. Unless I move, I will never get the impressive numbers some of you get, but still doing pretty danged good considering! When I do get to drive where I am not going up and down hills, and stay around 45 MPH, I see mid 50's too. That is just too cool for a car this big.

I just got mine done. here are my observations-

- Car f feels a bit more torquey from a stop.

- the r engine keeps kicking in a lot more in the city.

- ev mode is a bit more reluctant. I believe it's because the electric motor is behaving more as a torque assist mode now than before.

- my mpg has dropped in city by few and gained in hwy by few its too early to tell exactly by how much.

this means I'll have to re learn how to drive this car efficiently.

without much know how on how the various motors and charge levels behave it's going to be a daunting task to crack how this baby works.

any inside information welcome.

I just got mine done. here are my observations-

- Car f feels a bit more torquey from a stop.

- the r engine keeps kicking in a lot more in the city.

- ev mode is a bit more reluctant. I believe it's because the electric motor is behaving more as a torque assist mode now than before.

- my mpg has dropped in city by few and gained in hwy by few its too early to tell exactly by how much.

this means I'll have to re learn how to drive this car efficiently.

without much know how on how the various motors and charge levels behave it's going to be a daunting task to crack how this baby works.

any inside information welcome.

You will notice within about a week things will get better. It restarts a learning process and will get alot better city.

Once its used to the way you drive you will fine with a full battery it was try to keep the ICE off and you have to give it a little more to get it to kick on,

That would be nice if things improved with driven miles but I'm a little dubious.

Since the PCM update I've driven about 500 miles and am averaging 30mpg.

I had a long phone conversation with my Dealer's Service Dept today (and backed it up with a comprehensive email so they could remember what I said on the phone).

My Service Advisor noticed the serious tone of the conversation and supposedly is looking for an answer for me, going to have the software Tech call Ford Engineering too.

Was also told that there are constant revisions to the PCM recalibration software and mine may not be the very, very, very latest.

I wonder if I could have it just put back to the way I received it last December, I was doing much better before any TSB updates.

I also asked them to run the HVB diagnostic software on my Li-on pack, they admitted to having that capability.

On my last visit I noticed they were replacing a Lincoln Hybrid's Li-on HVB pack, the car had been there a month before they got to that point in the repair.

Next week sometime I'll let them try to troubleshoot this problem. (Still waiting for the Fuel Module part for the Recall)

Im guessing your battery life sucked and it barely lasted when it was showing a full charge?

Also did they get the redesigned fuel module part yet? I thought they were still just putting the defective ones and didnt have a redesign yet.

GrySql, my numbers are usually just above 50's try to use max 2kw while accelerating. And my favorite screen is empower. Gives you an idea about battery threshold with the blue boundary.

Avoid braking and if you do, regen the best you can. Keep an eye for hills and dips to use them to your advantage.

My ev ratio to the distance travelled is about 60% which is important since the gas engine during the charging only gives just above 20 mpg.

I did get a letter from Ford stating there was another enhancement, now to the SYNC system. It is for software version 3.6, which I may have already. Have to check. I would rather not bring it in again to the dealer. The letter said future updates will also be available via download by using a USB drive.

Not sure if I want it, and my phones work great already. In fact, we were on a call when we got into the car, and the car just picked up the call and put it thru SYNC automatically! Pretty impressive.

I got the same letter, but I think I did the update myself a couple of weeks ago, but I can't be sure, because Ford's Sync My Ride website was down for maintenance the other day when I tried it.