hybridbear

After the PCM software update/recalibration - observations by Hybridbear

I do really good "going" to a customer site, but for some reason I also do crappy coming back. 50's there, 45 back. Must be the car saying, i dont want to go back to work!

I just started to think about this, maybe ford locked ev at 62mph to try to force us at that speed to get close to that 47mpg.. Maybe eh?

@no1fordman

After getting the famous calibration and driving on the highway to work as I always do I seen no change. I went back and talked to the service manager and he contacted a tech in Detroit who then came back with the reply after I explained the issue of not going over 62mph with out it going to gas. He said that this quoted speed from 62 to 85 mph is when you are driving at a speed above 62 and you slow down, it will go into hybrid. they said this didn't happen before the calibration. I told them I could do 65mph before and take the cruise off and it would go to hybrid before this update. plus you have to have the air off to get that bigger mph. I don't see this helped and so far from what I'm seeing from others, they aren't happy either. I also saw where C-Max owners would get a one time compensation of 350.00 and leases would get 325.00 because of this. both vehicles have the same motor and stated 47/47 so why aren't the Fusion owners offered the same.

Well the update has worked in mine. My last fill is up by at least 2 MPG.

Today I was able to get 43.5 MPG round trip to and from work. Totally trip distance of 39.6 miles. On the way to work I go driving 70-80 mph. On the way home not so fast. Also on the way home I hit traffic and then was in EV alot. But happy with the results. I have not done the upgrade calibration yet. Heck my car has only 1440 miles on it so far. I can't see how others are getting up in the 50's MPG?

We just had the calibration done and are seeing less mpg in short around town trips. It seems the engine runs more and the battery always seems low. any suggestions?

3.03?

Good God. I looked on gasbuddy.com and the lowest I saw was in the $3.10 range in South Carolina. Either way, that hurts.

Must be nice to fill your tank for $30 instead of $40!

I've been averaging $3.62/gal according to Fuelly. Since I figure I'll be driving about 20,000 miles a year, every bit of extra MPG I can get will add up.

Great show. With all the NSA stuff in the news lately the Person of Interest theme becomes more real.

I was thinking more along the lines of Fahrenheit 451. Seriously, though, I think it is time to start electing people who will take work to reign in these types of erosion of civil liberties.

Don't worry about keeping it below 62 mph. It's not advantageous to use EV at highway speeds.

I strongly disagree with this. My daily commute is 97mi round trip, and most of it is at highway speeds. For my last tank of gas I averaged 53mpg, which is around 2mpg better than what I was getting just prior to the PCM update. Also on my last tank of gas I was in EV mode almost 50% of the time. Here are my last set of numbers, which are on Fuelly:

Date Miles Gal. MPG Price City % Notes

8/22/13 579.9 10.95 53.0 3.649 15% 288.4mi EV

Edited by MaineFusion

I'd have to agree 2-3mpg hwy gain tops. City I seem to be getting decently more. I also suspect during fall and spring we will do better with the lowered warmup points.

Hybridbear,

I'd agree that there isn't much in the way of change for "city" driving, but I don't think that is what this PCM update targeted. The improvements seemed most targeted towards highway speeds. It was good to see how the wind speeds affected your MPG and it is inline with what I would have expected. Aerodynamic drag can have a huge impact on how much energy is required to move forward -- just ask any bicycle racer.

I'd love to have a pitot tube to measure air speed vs ground speed to help figure out exactly how much winds affect fuel economy. Heck, we should just turn our cars into moving laboratories that record every data point possible. We could then rent supercomputer time to process all the data to figure out the absolute perfect driving technique to get the absolute best MPG possible to save the most money on gas. :drool:

Oh wait...

All the money we'd spend creating our rolling laboratories and processing the data would wipe out any savings from figuring out the absolute perfect driving technique by a factor of like 10,000 to 1. Scratch that idea.

Found that hills seem to be better managed by the update. Going up it gives elec assist at 70mph to help keep milage up than going downhill on the other side it it coasts with the ICE off and charging.