Newlist

What is your current MPG

If you have the AC on full blast, that will kill MPG. There are some threads here that describe ways to work around the AC drain and improve MPG in hot climates.

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid that we bought at the end of 2013. Me and my wife have put nearly 50,000 miles on it since then and our lifetime average is barely 34 MPG. I really thought we would get better than this especially from all the great numbers I've sen on here. We live in Oklahoma so we get fairly hot summers, pretty cold winters, and fairly nice spring/fall temperatures. We don't hot rod it but then we don't drive like grandmas either. I have noticed that if we only drive in town, we can get a little over 40 MPG sometimes, but the majority of our driving is split highway/city. Usually, we average about 32-34 MPG on the highway (70-80MPH) I'm beginning to think we could have actually done as well if not better with an ecoboost fusion? I really like our fusion, but a little disappointed in the gas mileage.

We have less than 10,000 miles on it, bought around Dec 2013 I think.

Just wondering... Why did you buy a hybrid? At that rate, I'm not sure you'll ever see a return on the monetary investment. Was your motivation just to be greener? Curious.

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid that we bought at the end of 2013. Me and my wife have put nearly 50,000 miles on it since then and our lifetime average is barely 34 MPG.

There's no doubt in my mind that you really need to learn to drive these cars to maximize efficiency, and you will quite likely have to make some compromises to achieve even the EPA numbers. Bottom line is these cars are much more sensitive to a heavy foot. You've got to be willing to back off the speed and acceleration a bit. You will not get EPA results at 70-80 MPH.

Do you really ever see a return on any car? You can drive a piece of junk for a couple thousand or drive a nice comfortable car and save some money on Gas with a Fusion Hybrid.

There are many many cars that cost a lot more, like cadys and Lincolns and infinity's, does anybody ever see a return?

I'm talking specifically about recouping the additional money spent for the hybrid option. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I remember calculating the projected savings over time based on using less gas, in order to justify the additional cost. My ballpark was that it would take about 3 years to recoup, based on my commute and the price of gas at the time.

Then gas dropped, but it could have gone up to $4.00 also, its a chance you take.

Exactly! And I whined about no longer being able to save as much $$$. ;) No worries, though, as I'm sitting a hair over 48 MPGs lifetime, which sure made me feel a little guilty when Ford sent that check (not really), thereby reducing the amount of time it'll take to recoup my investment!

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid that we bought at the end of 2013. Me and my wife have put nearly 50,000 miles on it since then and our lifetime average is barely 34 MPG. I really thought we would get better than this especially from all the great numbers I've sen on here. We live in Oklahoma so we get fairly hot summers, pretty cold winters, and fairly nice spring/fall temperatures. We don't hot rod it but then we don't drive like grandmas either. I have noticed that if we only drive in town, we can get a little over 40 MPG sometimes, but the majority of our driving is split highway/city. Usually, we average about 32-34 MPG on the highway (70-80MPH) I'm beginning to think we could have actually done as well if not better with an ecoboost fusion? I really like our fusion, but a little disappointed in the gas mileage.

I thought all 2014's did not show the lifetime average. I know my 2014 doesn't.

Is there a lot of hills where you drive? Flat roads definitely gives me better mpg's.

Have you used your coach screen that shows braking, acceleration and cruising? That helps me quite a bit.

I thought all 2014's did not show the lifetime average. I know my 2014 doesn't.

The 2014-2016 model years don't have the actual Lifetime Summary screen, but there are a couple of ways to track the lifetime MPG average.

1) Use one of the Trip gauges, such as Trip 1 or Trip 2, and never reset that trip meter.

2) Use the "Avg Fuel Economy" MPG display, which is available in the Engage, Empower, and MyView displays, and never reset that MPG value.

I personally use both methods; my Trip 2 and the my "Avg Fuel Economy" values have never been reset.

Edited by Hybrider