Newlist

What is your current MPG

A lot has to do with how you trained the car. If you were a Hybrid driver prior to getting the car, chances are you would have trained the car to use battery more from a dead stop, where if you were a non hybrid driver, your training would have preferred more ICE to go from a stop. With mine I can easily accelerate to 25-30 MPH on battery alone. The only time I can't is if its cold outside. This morning 8-12*, and the slightest touch puts it on ICE. Normally I can lightly press the pedal and get up to 25 MPH dead silent.

These cars have a learning curve, and react by how you drive them the first few hundred miles, and once trained, they tend to stay that way even after you changed your driving habits, unless you wipe the memory and start over, or wait several thousand miles for it to gradually relearn new curves.

Thats quite normal, and how it should operate. For those who have a full SOC and can't accelerate on pure EV, its a training issue. You trained it well :)

Since my mpg has dropped at least 1mpg over the last 2 months, should I reset it and try again? What would it hurt? What in entailed in a reset and how do I do it? How long does it take for the retraining. This is my first hybrid.

Driving up/dn the mountain is a problem. I only have about 3800 miles and this is the first winter. It was around 50 last night when I noticed the starting from the light I posted about.

Thanks for all the answers.

I reset trip 1 at every tank and use trip 2 for my vehicle lifetime tracking.

Retraining is a complex procedure. You have to disconnect both the 12V and the HVB, let the car rest for at least 30 minutes, then plug it all back in. The Key though is to be able to train it on normal roads. Since you travel up and down a mountain, I think you would be back where you are now.

I noticed an interesting phenomenon the other day! I had just filled up and NEVER top off the tank and very shortly noticed that there was a small gap on the fuel gauge. I only had 8.4 miles since the gas station.

I decided to get gas again the next day and, again, just allowed the pump to shut itself off. The receipt showed 1 gallon more fuel dispensed than the car indicated had been consumed.

So, every conversation / statement regarding fuel economy is related to yet one more variable; The fuel pump!

Edited because I can't spell

Just saying,

I noticed this first with my C-Max. Now I fill up till the pump shuts itself off and squeeze the handle one last time till it shuts off again. More consistent fills on both my C-Max and Fusion by using this technique.

Edited by darrelld

I have come to use the same pump for every fill so at least I know that when it clicks off it will be the same as the last fill and the one before that. However, here is something to note, which goes back a ways to what I had originally stated after reading the PDF on how the systems function. If you run well past the DTE based on fuel consumed, when it says DTE 0 at 10.5 gallons, and you drive another 40-60 miles past, then fill it up and put in a bit more than the trip says you used, after a few tanks like this, DTE gets to be closer to reality than previously. Mine used to go red at 10.5 gallons and this last tank with 6 miles past DTE 0 it said I used 12.4 gallons, and I put in just a little more than that at first click. Yeah! Getting to be more accurate.

I have come to use the same pump for every fill so at least I know that when it clicks off it will be the same as the last fill and the one before that.

Or so you think... I mean, it's a good theory...

Curious to me that the car's computer showed a bit more divergence from actual mpg, not less.

That's fairly typical. My dash numbers are routinely 2-4 MPGs over calculated. It can vary wildly from tank to tank, based on the volume pumped. Even over the long run, my dash is 3.3 MPGs higher than calculated.