elle

MPG Happy Talk

OK you win but I thought you never got good mileage.

That was downhill on EV from the gas station to my office. About the only time I got anything decent! I do have plenty of shots in the 40's, but when I went to fill the tank, those numbers didn't correlate with what I put in the tank. It was very deceiving.

However, with that being said, it may not be a Hybrid, but it is happy MPG! So far on the first tank, seeing over 20 MPG, and hoping that the fill correlates with the dash on this one. Once I get a couple tanks in and on Fuelly, then I will have a better idea if its close or off. Its better than the old one was, thats for sure. Not bad for a 4600# brick with 365 HP and AWD that seats 7 and tows 4500#. I wonder what it will get towing a trailer.

532026_529693640406108_343724495_n.jpg

OK, people want a little love, according to the OP. Fine, "I'd love to justify buying a FFH." How's that? We are seriously car shopping, and mileage is a very important criterion for us. To get such information, I have to rely on credible reports.

And now that we have that out of the way, I'm finding it very difficult to track the basis for people reporting mileage in this thread.

Here are a few of my artifacts to consider.

1 - You should be able to click the fuelly icon below and get an ACTUAL gallons/miles calculation of my MPG, for the 9,000 miles that I've owned my car. I am currently on 5 miles DTE so getting another fill-up this evening. But a clear disclaimer - this is my 3rd hybrid and now after driving over 280k miles in a hybrid I definitely drive gently and my wife says I drive like a grandpa. So to get really good numbers it takes a behavioral change that some do not want to undergo... and of course some do strive for the best MPG and still fall short due to weather or something being wrong with their cars, who knows. So bottom line is that in most cases, it takes effort to achieve really good results and thinking otherwise is kinda like buying great running shoes and expecting great 100-yard dash times simply due to the great shoes.

If you can't click the below fuelly logo and get to the page, https://www.fuelly.com/driver/jeffh/fusion-2 should probably also get there.

2 - Below is my photobucket library where I took a snapshot and posted 99% of my trips for a 2-month period.. I figure that was about enough, lifetime MPG on the display is now 47.0 (so the lifetime MPG on the display is about 1.5 MPG optimistic as compared to the actual calculations shown in the fuelly link). You can look at as many trip summary pics as you like and piece them together with the odometer readings and see that there are very few gaps, maybe a time or two where I ran to a lunchtime drive-thru from work and didn't get a snapshot of it.. but in some cases I think I did.

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/jeff_h_fusion/library/

In the above, disregard the pic about EV chargers, that's in reference to the Energi that we're about to get for my wife, I guess I will have to split that bucket into separate libraries as I go forth.

3 - Over a 30-day period (to couple with the pics in the photobucket) I logged my morning commute MPG and the outside temp at the time, and also the afternoon commute MPG and the temp at the time (cold temps are big factors, as are hot temps) - I can PM these to you (or to others) if interested, but the reader's digest version is that I got about 5 MPG better on the afternoon commute (52.1 vs 45.7) when it was around 30 degrees in the morning and 60 degrees in the afternoon. And then when we had a bit of a heat wave last week, I found that the results flip-flopped and I got about 5 MPG better on the morning commute (53.5 vs 48.9) when it was around 60 degrees and 90+ degrees in the afternoon.

So hopefully there is a little more to chew on, if you want more info let me know and we can email until the cows come home.

Edited by jeff_h

OK, people want a little love, according to the OP. Fine, "I'd love to justify buying a FFH." How's that? We are seriously car shopping, and mileage is a very important criterion for us. To get such information, I have to rely on credible reports.

And now that we have that out of the way, I'm finding it very difficult to track the basis for people reporting mileage in this thread. There seem to be a few who are taking more comprehensive mileage readings, but some who just take 10 mile, 5 mile, or even 1 mile readings that (if I may be excused for saying so) just aren't that informative as to what someone might expect from an overall mileage experience driving any car.

I'm not saying everyone needs to run out and buy a Scan Gauge for $140....just the traditional way of reporting fuel usage by the tankful would be great:

1. When filling up, I record the mileage traveled for that tank on the little paper slip disgorged by the gas pump.

2. I divide the number of gallons purchased into the mileage traveled.

3. Voila! Miles per gallon for that tank, including all types of driving.

If someone wants to annotate, that's fine. "I drove this whole tankful on short trips to and from work in the middle of Winter in Manitoba." The previous statement would help explain abysmally poor mileage for that tank. "I drove this whole tank on a 7% downhill grade with a 40 mph tailwind." is also useful information. However, just taking an instantaneous reading of a 3 mile trip to the convenience store is about as enlightening as "I was given a mileage boost by a spell from the wand of Glinda, Good Witch of the North."

Hi rico, this is a bragging thread, nothing more. There were a couple threads where some of us, :baby: and me were complaining and being A$$holes, so they started this thread to show the good MPG they were getting. As others stated, the Fuelly badges show the true MPG readings the cars are getting. A lot depends on traffic, speed, driving habits, weather and temps. As others and EPA says, Your Mileage May Vary. The New Fusion Overall is showing remarkable fuel economy for most owners, not so much for a few only because of their short trips and roads. There may be a small sample of Fusions with an actual problem, I had one, and no matter what I tried to do, I just could not match what my 2010 was doing on the same roads, so Please do not look at the posts I made and use that towards your decision, I am convinced mine was broke after seeing what the vast majority here are getting.

Even if it does only get 38 MPG, it still cant be beat by any other Sedan on the road unless you want to spend a Huge amount more on an Avalon, and yet they still only get around 40. :rockon: