elle

MPG Happy Talk

It's a real problem. When people see my car they want to know how much it cost. When I tell them less than 30 grand they don't believe me.

Better yet, hand then a card from your dealer. If they get a sale off it, you may get a kickback. Mine does that.

50* is freezing? I LOL, it was 11* here this morning, now that is FREEZING! :) Oh how I long for a 50* day or two here!

Yeah, windy here too and the drive home was right into it. Didnt bother looking, knew it was well under what I normally get.

Amazing how 20* can knock 4 off. Past two days have been 11* in the morning, went from near 40MPG down to 36MPG both days. BRRRR When will this cold end, Where the hell is spring!

ice ice baby sux sux baby!! My horses are tearing apart their stalls, literally. They have been stuck inside now since early Jan due to ice. The ice is so bad I cant move the barn doors, and all the fields are layered in ice. Even if I could get the door open, its way to risky to let them loose, I know what they would do the moment I open their stall door, and that is race outside, hit that ice and go flying and possibly break something. Oh bring on the warm weather PLEASE!!!

The wind makes a huge difference on highway mileage. Crosswinds are bad too, although not as bad as driving head first into the wind.

Actually, the crosswinds are worse. Vehicles are designed to have the lowest drag only for head on winds. A given wind velocity 20 º off center is likely to cause more drag. The vehicle's speed draws the relative wind vector closer to head on. There have been discussions about cocking vehicles 5 º or so into this vector on highways by available technologies like four wheel steering to reduce drag. All that would be needed additionally would be a wind direction sensor and software.

I don't work for Ford and I read about that on another site that I don't remember. The gains for such technologies are small but even a 1 % gain in highway mileage is a huge amount of fuel reduction in a nation per year. There was comment that there would be a lot of horn honking initially about other drivers worried your were seriously out of alignment. There are few all-wheel-steering vehicles out there but it is a mature technology. It's probably not cost effective yet. Self driving cars will yield much larger gains in safety and economy.

Wow, great info! You sound like you work for Ford!!! Very suspicious indeed. :-)

I don't know, how do we know he is NOT Mel Torme' ?