elle

MPG Happy Talk

Driving like an ass I am still seeing 45 MPG. Of course this is with near bald tires. :)

The energy required to move vehicles goes up as at least the square of the speed; four times the energy to go 60mph as 30mph. Conventional cars mileage peaked around 30-40 mph as the ICE became inefficient below those speeds and the lower speed effect vanished. Hybrids pretty much solve that problem. If you aren't eager to "close the gap" in traffic as mentioned above, your mpg soars above 60 mpg.

It's been mentioned a lot about how changing your driving habits to suit a hybrid is a very relaxing change. I still get a little annoyed when somebody scoots around me to stop in front of me at the next light but I'm coping better. There's a poster on CleanMPG.com named "RightLaneCruiser" that personifies this change of driving habits.

Man, those are good numbers. I am happy with mine since it falls right in where I estimated it. I expected the peak for my daily drives to be right around 43 MPG, and that is right where it is.