mainesail55

2013 FFH real world fuel economy

Well cold is going to kill the mpg since it needs to run the motor to keep it warm as well as the heater. Now in the summer running the ac will lower your mpg too.

This is not news, as there have been many threads and dozens of posts about it over the past few months. We have a user (actually more than one but I'm referring to acdii) that is on his third hybrid and getting around 35MPG in the 2013 FFH but 40MPG in the 2010 FFH (I also had a 2010 FFH and mine easily gets better MPG)... so while it's true for some that "they just need to learn how to drive a hybrid" it's probably not fitting to paint with too broad of a brush since I've noticed several on here going from one hybrid to another. I'm getting great MPG, but not everyone is so we're interested to learn the details and the outcomes, and I think the posts about how/when the ICE needs to run have already started to pile up next to the dead horse.

Stick>meet horse>xeyexeye

:)

DeeCee, we didn't mean it that way. I for one am glad that others are getting good MPG, more fodder that there IS a problem with a few that Ford is ignoring. It is just painful to be told by Ford, your car is fine, when in fact it is not. The dealer service department can only do what Ford tells them, otherwise they dont get paid for the warranty work. Nick is pissed at Ford same as me as they basically told him the same thing they told me.

When spark plugs foul and the customer had a previous complaint about poor fuel economy in WARM weather, and still has poor fuel economy even after the plugs were replaced, means something is not functioning correctly. Some parameter is off, whether its a MAF, O2 sensor, temp sensor, any one of those could be sending a false signal, triggering a larger injector dwell so more fuel is injected than needed. The fact it appears that cars made in the same week are all experiencing poor mileage is also a key indicator.

Regardless of outside temp, when on the interstate, doing 65, the engine is running, no more EV at that point, so the ICE true fuel economy will show at that point. When a car that is 3 years older, can exceed its highway EPA rating on cruise control at 65 MPH driven in the same ambient temps, and a new car can barely touch that, and be 11 MPG below its highway rating tells me something is not right with it. If the ICE is inefficient at that speed, it will be poor at all speeds, so it will affect overall MPG. I never expected to see 47 MPG highway, that is a pipe dream, but I did expect to see 40 at the very least doing 65 MPH, and the best I saw ever was 38.8. This was down in Florida in 78* temps. When I took a trip on city roads no faster than 45 I did see up to 50 MPG, so no complaints on the hybrid side, only on the interstate side. Majority of my drive is highway of 55 MPH, and getting 47 MPG highway would be wonderful, but I dont think I will ever come close to it in this car. I can see up to 44 in the 2010, which is 3 MPG over city and 8 over highway, 5 over combined, which means, yeah I can drive a Hybrid.

This week I have been doing just drive and dont give a crap about MPG, and it shows too, 34 MPG is about it, I can do better in my 10 driving the same way. Range is also becoming an issue, I can only go 3 days before filling up again, same as it was in my Flex and F150, though only adding less than 9 gallons this time. I can go all week in the other car and have some left over for the weekend.

EDIT: I am seeing 40 and up even in 20* weather in the 2010.

Edited by acdii

I got 31 MPG eco cruise set at 65 over a 50 mile drive. The trip out got 36, but I had a tail wind. Waiting for the plugs to foul again so Ford can tell me nothing is wrong once again after they replace them. I talked to my SM who has been dealing with Ford on this from the start, he has sent them nasty grams telling them there is no way this car can get EPA, he had to drive it no faster then 45 and drive it slow to get the results he got. As far as driving 65 and getting crappy MPG, its outside of Fords test parameters, so it doesn't count.

Some like me got no coupon, some got a coupon which excluded hybrids and some got coupons which did not exclude AND were used to buy FFHs. I would really like to understand why as a 32 month owner of a '10 FFH I was not eligible for the $750 private offer.

Same here - was ordering my 4th Ford and for my loyalty and keen interest on the "offer I didn't expect", I didn't expect to get the shaft! Below is a link to the pic of the brochure that I received in the mail, I think it's identical to what Terry received.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51770-ford-750-coupon/page-2&do=findComment&comment=818602

Found out how easy it is to get to the plugs and checked one out. 4 bolts and the cover lifts off, one bolt holding the COP, and remove the plug. Also discovered some oil residue on the throttle body.

Right now I am done trying to get anything decent out of this car. It just wont happen, not my car, not when I see others doing well without trying. Not when I drive it like my other Hybrid and cant get what it gets even though it is rated 6 to 11 MPG higher.

Just going to drive it like I drove my Sport, fewer EV miles means more ICE running which means plugs will foul sooner, so I get to have it visit the dealer more often.

As soon as it is in for service #4, I am calling a lawyer and filing lemon law on it. Since Ford has not been very helpful to get it resolved, and CS is basically ignoring me.

So the real question then, have them replace the car, or walk away and go elsewhere?