mainesail55

2013 FFH real world fuel economy

DING! I believe we hit the nail on the head here. Sal, you say your meeting EPA, correct? And Ric, you are seeing 35 MPG? Now we need Dole to chime in on the tires, if he has Goodyears, then problem resolved, The Goodyears are the reason for the crappy MPG.

Here is the OE tire that is listed for the 2013 FFH, and the only tire. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+Saver+A%2FS&partnum=35HR7ESAS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Fusion&autoModClar=Hybrid

Why do you have 18s on your car? Perhaps that is the reason, the normal hybrid wheels are 17s.

Ah, now that you mention it, mine has the premium painted wheels too, so that may very well be the key here. Would be interesting to be able to compare the two different types of wheel/tire combos side by side to see if the Goodyears out perform the Michelins in handling and traction, the Energy Savers on my 2010 are horrible when it comes to both, so wonder if the hit in economy is worth the trade off.

Since I'm still waiting on my 2013, I can only assume that it may follow the pattern of the 2010? On that, the first number is the MPG for the trip that's just finished, and the second number is the long-term MPG -- which you should be able to reset to start a new baseline and check from that point onward.

I don't believe Ford would offer an optional wheel/tire size for the FFH if it affected the mpg.

Yep, they would, its that case of buyer beware, but what Ford has failed to do, which can bite then in the arse, is not have a disclaimer regarding the sport tires not returning high MPG.

Case in point, the EPA ratings on the F150 Ecoboost. The truck "can" get those numbers, provided it is setup identical to the model that was tested, Same gearing, same features, same weight. When you take that base model, add Max tow package, different wheels, etc. the MPG will drop, and you will not get the claimed EPA, but will fall into the range disclaimer.

I need to see if the 2013 wheels fit the 2010 so I can do a wheel swap, I can confirm it 100% if it is the tires or not. But all indicators point to it being the 18" Goodyears. I have been able to get trips in the high 40's and 50's, but they were for the most part down hill returning from lunch with a warm car.

Well got the update, NPF!

The road test using the adaptive cruise control returned 43 MPG. According to Ford, if it gets in the 40's using ACC, it passes, so they wont do jack about it. I also heard that the other guy who just got his FFH is getting 37, his has the 17" Michelins. He started using the ACC and is getting in the 40's with it.

Apparently you cant drive faster then 55 MPH if you want to get in the 40's. You also have to use ACC, the car is too sensitive to the pedal otherwise. Anything above 60, you will be in the 30's.

On Monday I drove to Mount Prospect, a 21 mile drive, 35-45 MPH roads, and returned 45. While not bad, the 2010 would get that too, and I usually get better than that on those roads, especially when I get the lights timed just right. Ford wouldn't even authorize to have the alignment checked.

I guess its time to break out the video camera and record it all, comparing the two cars and how they act different as far as coasting, and MPG readout on the same roads. This morning I got 39 MPG in my 2010 going to work, Monday I in the 2013, I also got 39, but it was 10* warmer too.

I was just quoting what the Ford rep told me. I asked the service manager to clarify, did they say Adaptive cruise? He said, yes, so I said, so those owners who dont have the ACC are basically screwed, and he just gave me a confused look. Pretty sure they mean the Eco Cruise.

Tonight I bested the EC, I had it set for 55 for a short period and saw it was getting junk for FE, so I reset the meter while it was at 55, then shut it off and went manual, and went from 37 MPG to 45 MPG. Of course I was not maintaining a steady 55 MPH, but keeping it between 50 and 55 depending on the road. My trip home though, I only got up to 35 MPG. Could have been the wet roads, but seemed like all I was doing was driving uphill.