Ric

Daytime Running lights?

Okay. I have some good news to share.

I first took my FFE to the Ford dealer where I bought the car from. They told me that it would be illegal for them to turn on DRLs for me in California. They stated that turning on DRLs would be considered as modifying lighting equipment. This sounds like a BS to me....

So I took my FFE to a Ford dealer near my work one afternoon. The service writer had to go in to talk to a few folks. He came out and told me that it is not standard work they do but if I pay them $75, they would gladly do it for me. But he told me that I had to make an appointment to perform the service.

So on my way home, I stopped by the Ford dealer near my house. The service writer asked me why I wanted to turn on DRLs. I told him that DRLs may avoid crashes and I feel safer with them on. He told me that he is a certified master technician and he can direct a technician to do that for me. I, with good intention, informed him that it might be against Ford's policy. He politely replied and told me that he cared more about what customers want.

So they turned on my DRLs free of charge. I also got a free car wash. Nice folks!

This is what matters most! This is what my dealer is like, Customer comes first.

Regarding the DRL turning off when a turn signal is activated. I came across this interesting Federal tidbit.

Steady burning.Automatically activated as determined by the vehicle manufacturer and automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any “on” position. Each DRL optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated. See S7.10.10.1© for additional activation requirements when mounted close to, or combined with, a turn signal lamp

Could also mean in the same housing as some of these are. I know there are some that you cannot see the turn signal if the headlights are on.

As with anything Government related, Vague, incomprehensible, needs a team of lawyers to break it down.