Ric

Daytime Running lights?

More likely the lawyers are just trying to be safe. DRLs have a lot of legal connotations, some versions are legal in some places but not in others. For example the LED DRLs on the current Titanium Escape are standard in the US and Canada, but they do not meet the light output requirements for the DRL laws in Canada, so Escape's in Canada have both the LED and the fog lamps come on as DRLs.

Because the design of the modules allows different sorts of DRLs to be activated (fog lamps, park lamps, headlamps etc), Ford can never be sure that a dealer will activate them correctly so that they meet any legal requirements that might apply to where the vehicle is being used. Thus they have to officially recommend that dealer's do not activate them.

Now with the 2015s, Ford can be sure at the factory that each vehicle is setup so that the DRLs meet the requirements of where they will be sold.

It's not Ford being stupid, it's too many stupid lawsuits over time.

Good points.

As for having DRL and forgetting to turn on the regular lights, happened to me last night. I had the car in for service a couple weeks ago, and have not driven at night since, until last night. I noticed no highbeams and got concerned something broke when they did the update. Then I noticed the lights looked a bit dim, and thought ohoh something is wrong. Then looking at the dash, realized that my lights were off. DOH They tech turned the auto lamps off. All is fine now.

Long way to go for an oil change though, unless the one doing the massage is REALLY good looking female type.