DaveM

Remote Start

Yea, the accessory site is very buggy and only really works in Internet Explorer, although I have gotten it to work with Google Chrome.

The prices from Ford seem much better than those from the dealer, so if it actually works, I would highly recommend this method. Like you said, try to find a dealer in your area that says "Order Online" so you don't have to deal directly with the dealer for payment.

Well it's on order through the dealer directly and should arrive in 7-10 days. Interestingly it comes from the "vendor" as they call it so takes awhile longer.

So do I understand from reading these posts that although the Fusion brochure shows as an available accessary a Bi-directional remote start system and you order the car from the factory with the $300 remote start option, you only get the one way system ? Is that correct ?

Thanks for any reply.

So do I understand from reading these posts that although the Fusion brochure shows as an available accessary a Bi-directional remote start system and you order the car from the factory with the $300 remote start option, you only get the one way system ? Is that correct ?

Thanks for any reply.

Yes. The official Fusion website shows a six button model, the brochure shows a bi-directional model, but the actual factory-installed model is a single button, single feature fob.

However, the bi-directional model can be installed as an accessory by the dealer, but at a much higher price.

Yes. The official Fusion website shows a six button model, the brochure shows a bi-directional model, but the actual factory-installed model is a single button, single feature fob.

However, the bi-directional model can be installed as an accessory by the dealer, but at a much higher price.

I think the quoted reply answers my question, but just to be sure, I'm asking anyway. Does the factory installed model use the normal key fob? I don't want to have to carry two fobs, so if there is a way to get the remote start integrated with the key and door lock/unlock, that's the option I'd like. I'm just not sure if that is possible.

I think the quoted reply answers my question, but just to be sure, I'm asking anyway. Does the factory installed model use the normal key fob? I don't want to have to carry two fobs, so if there is a way to get the remote start integrated with the key and door lock/unlock, that's the option I'd like. I'm just not sure if that is possible.

The answer is NO, if you want remote start get used to two of them. I see no big deal as Ive owned GM cars for years and you get a key and remote on their cars. I just put my FFH remote and key in my pant pocket and I don't even know its there. A woman carries a big enough purse she'll never know it's there.

Edited by DaveM

...Ive owned GM cars for years and you get a key and remote on their cars...

Pontiac G5 and full-sized Chevy pickup I had, had remote start on the same FOB.

I find my Fusion simply amazing. It is incredible the major technology that it has, and incredible for the little things that it doesn't have.

The remote start isn't made by Ford. It is a "Ford Approved" accessory. When I purchased my Ford Expedition they told me I would have two keyfobs if I got the remote start. I got the model # and talked to an aftermarket installer. They said that the exact part # from Ford is an Audiovox programmable unit and they could install it and set it up differently than the default settings. They set it up so that I had lock, unlock, and start on the single keyfob. By default it doesn't work that way.

I'm assuming the Fusion is the same way. I'm just going to go aftermarket with the correct "Ford Approved" unit and have them program it to work the locks and the start.

The funny thing is that the Ford dealer that was going to sell me the remote start actually used the aftermarket place to do the installation. The factory techs don't like doing it. So I payed less, got more, and the work was from the same place.

Jon

Pontiac G5 and full-sized Chevy pickup I had, had remote start on the same FOB.

I find my Fusion simply amazing. It is incredible the major technology that it has, and incredible for the little things that it doesn't have.

For something completely different, after getting my new Milan Hybrid last week, I had Best Buy put in the remote start that works with the iPhone. It is not cheap ($500 for remote, plus another $120 for additional wiring needed), but they did an EXCELLENT job. It took just about a full day. The result is fantastic, in that I can now remote start the car from anywhere with my iPhone (as long as I have wifi or cell connection). I can also open/lock doors, open trunk, but I find that I use the iPhone to remote start, then just use the regular key fob to open or lock the doors. I'm totally happy with this solution.

For something completely different, after getting my new Milan Hybrid last week, I had Best Buy put in the remote start that works with the iPhone. It is not cheap ($500 for remote, plus another $120 for additional wiring needed), but they did an EXCELLENT job. It took just about a full day. The result is fantastic, in that I can now remote start the car from anywhere with my iPhone (as long as I have wifi or cell connection). I can also open/lock doors, open trunk, but I find that I use the iPhone to remote start, then just use the regular key fob to open or lock the doors. I'm totally happy with this solution.

I guess I don't quite understand how it works. You push a button on the Iphone and it starts your car. So I'm 500 feet away and next to Wifi but how does it talk to the car? I know BB installed some kind of box but in order to talk to the phone wouldn't it need its own cellphone?

There is a cellular type receiver in the SmartStart interface unit. The iPhone app contacts the server which sends a signal out to your car, where ever it is. As far as I understand it the system is two-way as it can tell you if your alarm went off - but it won't tell you anything else like the temperature inside the car.

After 1 year you have to pay an annual subscription fee.

Jon

I guess I don't quite understand how it works. You push a button on the Iphone and it starts your car. So I'm 500 feet away and next to Wifi but how does it talk to the car? I know BB installed some kind of box but in order to talk to the phone wouldn't it need its own cellphone?

Has anyone forked over the bucks for the remote start on their Hybrid? If so are you happy with it? Does it start the engine in the summer for air conditioning or does the air run off the electric motor as I heard? I would guess in the winter it would start engine in order to warm up car. Is it a pain in the ass having a different remote beside the one on the key?

Just had my remote start installed a couple weeks ago. So far I have only used it when the temp is between 0F and 20F. It does hit your mileage a bit and the 4cyl takes a little while longer to warm up than a big V8. You have to remember to leave the climate on auto or at least blower on and heat. If you have the climate off then the car engine does not actually start. At least mine does not unless heat is called for. Also if you remote start and the car is already warm then you may also find the engine not running unless enough heat is removed that it then starts to warm back up. In that aspect it helps gas mileage, only running when needed for the 10 minute max remote start time.

I fully agree that it would have been better to adopt a design like GM and have remote start on one FOB. I have the bi-directional model so its probably more difficult to integrate that into one.

I am happy with it as it lets me start the car while leaving the office cube and about 5 minutes later I am in the car and on those 0F days the quicker to warmth the better.

Hi there ... I've been reading this thread and I'm a bit confused over what key and remote start fobs for the Fusion HEV would look like.

Is this what the standard key fob looks like that comes with the Fusion HEV ..

And if I get the bi-directional Remote Start I would have a 2nd fob that looks like this.

And there's no easy way to have just one fob that will control door locks, trunk and remote start.

Can someone clarify .. tx. :burnout:

post-5599-126791358803_thumb.jpg

post-5599-126791382261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sailorman

Sailorman: I just installed mine and it looks exactly as in the photo you supplied. The bi-directional remote start shown gets added by a ring to the Ford key that came with the car. Unfortunately, like others have pointed out, Ford is a little behind on the technology when it comes to remote starts. For example, all of my previous GM cars/trucks came with the remote start already built in to the same key fob which operates the doors/trunk/hatch/panic switches on the vehicle. GM's remote starts are also standard equipment on most of their vehicles. Only recently has Ford decided to offer them and they are extra cost items.

Alternately, if you want everything on the same key fob, you need to purchase a remote start system from another company that sells their own remote start and alarm systems. Unlike Ford, they are able to replace the key fob which came with your vehicle with one of their own which operates the doors, trunk or hatch, panic and of course, the remote start features.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thnnks for the info .. I'm still a bit confused on the your last point. Since the key for the Fusion seems to have the door, trunk and panic buttons integrated into the key itself (vs in a separate fob), not sure there is any advantage having a remote fob with all of these included since you still need the integrated key. Or am I missing something.

Alternately, if you want everything on the same key fob, you need to purchase a remote start system from another company that sells their own remote start and alarm systems. Unlike Ford, they are able to replace the key fob which came with your vehicle with one of their own which operates the doors, trunk or hatch, panic and of course, the remote start features.

Absolutely correct. I have had other vehicles with aftermarket remote start/alarm systems installed. DEI/Viper on a Durango, Audiovox on an Explorer.

In both cases, the remote start had an extended range. (The Audiovox was good to almost a mile, and was bi-directional.)

However, the 2 way remote was able to unlock and remote start because the alarm system was controlling this function on its own, not through the car's system.

Ford's current system needs a separate remote for the start function because the transmission frequencies are different to gain range. My Fusion Factory installed remote start works as far as a quarter mile, yet the integrated key door function only works when I am pretty close. Notice the external antenna on the remote start that is installed on the windshield?

They need to have the remote start built into the car, not as an add-on, and then change the remote door unlock to use the same transmission frequencies.

I was talking to my dealer tonight about adding the bi-directional Remote Start below and they said that they have had a lot of problems with the batteries on the fob running down. So they have stopped selling it.

Anyone else heard about this or had problems with it???

post-5599-126826975272_thumb.jpg

I was talking to my dealer tonight about adding the bi-directional Remote Start below and they said that they have had a lot of problems with the batteries on the fob running down. So they have stopped selling it.

Anyone else heard about this or had problems with it???

Got mine last Oct. 5th and got 2 remotes and both are still on the original batteries, but then again it would be hard to compare as each use the remote different amounts.