DaveM

Remote Start

Has anyone forked over the bucks for the remote start on their Hybrid? If so are you happy with it? Does it start the engine in the summer for air conditioning or does the air run off the electric motor as I heard? I would guess in the winter it would start engine in order to warm up car. Is it a pain in the ass having a different remote beside the one on the key?

Has anyone forked over the bucks for the remote start on their Hybrid? If so are you happy with it? Does it start the engine in the summer for air conditioning or does the air run off the electric motor as I heard? I would guess in the winter it would start engine in order to warm up car. Is it a pain in the ass having a different remote beside the one on the key?

Bought it with mine but won't get the car until next week (hopefully) and will let ya know what I think. Does it matter if it runs the ac off the engine or the electric? If it uses the engine it will use gas, if it uses the battery it will need to use the engine to recharge that energy lost.

I have it, the remote start controller is small and square, the normal remote functions are actually embedded on the ignition key so the remote start would be the only "remote", per se. When I bought the car, the salesman showed me how it works, the car doors need to be locked for it to start the car, and if your AC or heat was on when you left the car, it will turn back on. So when the ignition turns on, it's just like normal operation so the ICE would run if needed for charging the HV battery, but if not the AC would run by electric.

I actually don't carry that remote with me just yet, we have covered parking at my job so the car doesn't sit in the sun and get a zillion degrees, so I haven't needed it yet. I will use it once it gets colder, so I can turn the car on when I am upstairs getting dressed in the morning and give it 3-5 minutes to warm up before I go outside and get in...

Bought it with mine but won't get the car until next week (hopefully) and will let ya know what I think. Does it matter if it runs the ac off the engine or the electric? If it uses the engine it will use gas, if it uses the battery it will need to use the engine to recharge that energy lost.

Thanks will wait for your reply. I just don't understand why it isn't standard on the car like on most GM cars. Here is a case on the hybrid where they give you a power passenger seat which for most of us will hardly ever be used. The money they spent on that could have went to a remote start.

Thank goodness no remote start standard (pretty much useless here in Tx) but the power passenger seat is much wanted IMO, good move Ford !

Thank goodness no remote start standard (pretty much useless here in Tx)

Useless? I think the biggest thing I can't wait for is having it to start the AC before I get in the car to cool it down.

I live in an area where the moonroof can remain in the vent position even when I'm not around thus the car cools down in ~45 sec or so - as for winter (if you could call it that) I'll have to find a way to survive...

Useless? I think the biggest thing I can't wait for is having it to start the AC before I get in the car to cool it down.

Thats kind of what I thought. I live in MI. and we get lots of 90's and we have it in both of our GM cars and it is great in Summer and Winter. When the inside is 120 and I get in it after about 15 min. it sure does feel good with the air pumping out cold. Of course maybe to much of the Tx heat this summer has effected his thinking. :hysterical2:

I live in an area where the moonroof can remain in the vent position even when I'm not around thus the car cools down in ~45 sec or so - as for winter (if you could call it that) I'll have to find a way to survive...

So it is 110 out which seems about right where you live so the inside is at least that even with the roof open. Wouldn't it be nice to get out of that office building and jump into that same 75 degrees without ruining your clothes from all the sweat. 45 sec. is kind of fast to cool down the car, maybe 10 min. if you're lucky.

Ordered mine with Remote Start and absolutely love it. It's very nice to get in with the a/c already going and it's cool in the car. The heat will be really nice in the winter time. Can't wait.

Nick

Love it, a native Texan that relocated, kinda like Tom Delay who did nothing wrong but moved anyway so glad remote start is a option cause I don't want or need it.

I have also thought about the remote start addition. Is it true there are two models to choose from? Seems I have seen a regular separate transmitter model and then one I was considering which was the separate transmitter bi-directional model. The claim on the bi-direct one is 1000ft range which means I could start the car while walking down the stairs of the office building and have it warming up a couple minutes before I get there.

I would only use it when its super cold. Guess getting in a hot car does not bother me. Now if it would simply roll down the windows and moonroof then I would use it every scorching day!!

A couple searches on the bi-directional one turns up some dealer installation prices of about $500-$850 including the remote. It looks like a couple sites have it listed for sale for as cheap as $234 but not sure if it comes with the install kit or not.

I looked over the install instructions PDF and it looks pretty involved to the point where some trim pieces are being removed and reinstalled and several wiring connections etc... Some 30 or 40 steps in total plus programming.

I am mainly interested in anyone who has the bi model and gets this super long range. I can see my car from the office building stairs and I would need about 500-750ft of range if activated while I am walking down.

I have also thought about the remote start addition. Is it true there are two models to choose from? Seems I have seen a regular separate transmitter model and then one I was considering which was the separate transmitter bi-directional model. The claim on the bi-direct one is 1000ft range which means I could start the car while walking down the stairs of the office building and have it warming up a couple minutes before I get there.

I would only use it when its super cold. Guess getting in a hot car does not bother me. Now if it would simply roll down the windows and moonroof then I would use it every scorching day!!

A couple searches on the bi-directional one turns up some dealer installation prices of about $500-$850 including the remote. It looks like a couple sites have it listed for sale for as cheap as $234 but not sure if it comes with the install kit or not.

I looked over the install instructions PDF and it looks pretty involved to the point where some trim pieces are being removed and reinstalled and several wiring connections etc... Some 30 or 40 steps in total plus programming.

I am mainly interested in anyone who has the bi model and gets this super long range. I can see my car from the office building stairs and I would need about 500-750ft of range if activated while I am walking down.

well I don't have a shorter range one to compare it to... I usually start the car from my office (3rd floor, middle/other side of building), and it works fine even if I'm parked in the middle or far-side of the parking lot :). (There's one across a street I parked at a few times... still started it from hallway near that side of the building. :) ). I've found some quirks where it won't always blink green in response or once in a while where it will beep but the car hasnt started... but that's only happened a few times. I'm thinking it's possible sometimes that I'm at the edge of the range and the car's receiving the start command but the key fob doesn't recognize the response signal. It's also sometimes a pain to get it to hand-off from remote start to "drive" without pushing the key past the on position to the start position -- I'd think it'd been able to have it where it could detect if the key was on the on position and hand it over automatically without needing to send another command from the fob.

They charged me $500 at time of purchase for the remote start, in with the X plan pricing for the leather/nav with tri-coat paint, and between $100-200 for tint, minus $500 college grad rebate. Check the dealer-installed (at your dealer) price at http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/ -- its was lower than $500 when I saw it there the day after I bought my car (although now it seems it's listed around $600 for parts+install).

Ok, so clearly I am doing something wrong or read somethign wrong in the booklet.... When i press and hold the remote start key I just get the flashing red light while pressing the button... not a green light. should I be getting a green light to confirm it worked? The car does start after holding down the button for ~2 seconds while the red light is quickly flashing.

I have the bi-directional model and it works great. I can be in the gym where I work out and hit the button from inside the locker room and my car is probably 300 to 400 ft away and it works everytime. I use it in hte summer and when its cold. I am confident it will go over 1000ft. in open spaces. So far it hase never not worked.

Ok, so clearly I am doing something wrong or read somethign wrong in the booklet.... When i press and hold the remote start key I just get the flashing red light while pressing the button... not a green light. should I be getting a green light to confirm it worked? The car does start after holding down the button for ~2 seconds while the red light is quickly flashing.

You have the bi-directional model? is it factory installed or dealer? mine was dealer-installed and looks like this:

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb...0~9G1Z_19G364_A

for this model, you have to press it twice within 3 seconds to start it... and then ... (well I'll just paste from manual for mine)

"Starting Your Vehicle:

The remote control start function is activated by pressing the button two times within 3 seconds on the remote control transmitter. If you are within the operating range of the system, your transmitter will respond with one single beep and one flash of the green LED behind the button. This response indicates that the signal to start was received by the system. Once the vehicle starts (3-5 seconds later), your transmitter will respond with 2 beeps and 2 flashes of the green LED. During the 10 minute (default) or 15 minute (optional) run time cycle, the green LED will

continue to flash every few seconds indicating the vehicle is still running on remote start."

I don't "always" get the continued blinks after the first beep/blink, and once in a while (when I'm further away/behind more building/metal), I don't get the first beep/blink, and only see the two pulses of the red light showing that the fob accepted my start command and is transmitting. Using google earth to estimate, office is about 200 feet horizontally from where I usually park, and I'm on third floor so it's probably about 300 feet total, and there's several walls and floor/etc between me and the car.

"Entering the Vehicle While it is Running via Remote Start:

1. Enter the vehicle. Do not press the brake pedal. 2. Insert the key into the ignition and turn to the ON position. 3. Press the brake pedal. The remote starter disengages, the transmitter will beep twice and the vehicle will operate normally. Note: If the vehicle stalls after attempting this procedure, make sure the key was turned all the way forward in the ignition switch."

is the part that's confusing. Unless by "on" position it means flip it past on to where it flips back from when you would classically "start" an engine. I could have sworn that when I read the manual before it had said to press and hold the button after putting in the key..... if I just put in the key without pushing it forward to the ignition part (where it cycles the lcd), then it always turns off if I press the break. If I press and hold the button after putting in the key, it will usually make the key beep and then allow me to use the car without cycling the lcds/air/etc.

-- sorry :D I think I finally figured out I must've been only turning the key to position 2 instead of position 3. hands over from remote start with no problem with key turned to position 3.

When I purchased the power code remote with the car I was not aware there were different models sold by ford. Mine doe not look like yours so I assume it is not bi directional. Oh well.

well I don't have a shorter range one to compare it to... I usually start the car from my office (3rd floor, middle/other side of building), and it works fine even if I'm parked in the middle or far-side of the parking lot :). (There's one across a street I parked at a few times... still started it from hallway near that side of the building. :) ). I've found some quirks where it won't always blink green in response or once in a while where it will beep but the car hasnt started... but that's only happened a few times. I'm thinking it's possible sometimes that I'm at the edge of the range and the car's receiving the start command but the key fob doesn't recognize the response signal. It's also sometimes a pain to get it to hand-off from remote start to "drive" without pushing the key past the on position to the start position -- I'd think it'd been able to have it where it could detect if the key was on the on position and hand it over automatically without needing to send another command from the fob.

They charged me $500 at time of purchase for the remote start, in with the X plan pricing for the leather/nav with tri-coat paint, and between $100-200 for tint, minus $500 college grad rebate. Check the dealer-installed (at your dealer) price at http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/ -- its was lower than $500 when I saw it there the day after I bought my car (although now it seems it's listed around $600 for parts+install).

So far all the responses on the bi model seem pretty favorable. Good range, consistent performance. $500 is a pretty good deal at least to the first quote I got from the local dealer of ~$700. I plan to call a few more in the area and see if I can get some competitive juices flowing!! :cheerleader:

So far all the responses on the bi model seem pretty favorable. Good range, consistent performance. $500 is a pretty good deal at least to the first quote I got from the local dealer of ~$700. I plan to call a few more in the area and see if I can get some competitive juices flowing!! :cheerleader:

If you go to the ford accessories site that I linked, and go to the remote start for the fusion, it will also show a quote showing parts+labor for the dealer to install it at a particular dealer, so you could also go compare the prices of your area dealers on that site first.

If you go to the ford accessories site that I linked, and go to the remote start for the fusion, it will also show a quote showing parts+labor for the dealer to install it at a particular dealer, so you could also go compare the prices of your area dealers on that site first.

Well I tried what you suggested but I must be doing something wrong. I brought up the remote start and hit 'add to cart'. It proceeded to pop up a window where I can enter my zip and then choose local dealers. On that final popup I only had a choice to select the 'request quote' button. As soon as I hit that request quote button it then went right back to the remote start picture and instead of 'quote' the add to cart button was now 'add to list'. Unfortunately hitting add to list did not do much. Unfortunately I never saw anything but the price of the part only, no labor costs shown. Maybe I have to figure out how to login or something.

Well I tried what you suggested but I must be doing something wrong. I brought up the remote start and hit 'add to cart'. It proceeded to pop up a window where I can enter my zip and then choose local dealers. On that final popup I only had a choice to select the 'request quote' button. As soon as I hit that request quote button it then went right back to the remote start picture and instead of 'quote' the add to cart button was now 'add to list'. Unfortunately hitting add to list did not do much. Unfortunately I never saw anything but the price of the part only, no labor costs shown. Maybe I have to figure out how to login or something.

Maybe it just doesnt give labor quotes for every dealer. After clicking request quote from selected dealer on the popup list, the button changed to "Add to list" for me, and then where it showed the accessory details (just above it, no clicking), it has:

Remote Start Bi-Directional 100 Series

Part Number: 9G1Z-19G364-A

Part w/ installation: $558.39

So, maybe it just doesnt have quotes for every dealer, sorry if that's the case. It showed me quotes for the 2 dealers I tried