DaveM

Remote Start

I have one other suggestion that may or may not help that I didnt think to do before.

You could also maybe (?) check with your local lincoln/mercury dealer for a quote since the milan is the same vehicle. Checking my local price with installation quote from mercuryaccessories.com, it shows a much lower price at my local mercury dealer of 424.06. (North Park Lincoln mercury, San antonio tx)

It surprised me they show as so much cheaper, but maybe because they have the car prices inflated they want people to be happier with options/installation fees.

I'm thinking of buying a remote starter...

Does the remote starter from Ford, comes with programmable function... like, automatic start every 3 , 5 ,10 etc... hours or minutes...

I really need this function.. specially winter time...

I have one other suggestion that may or may not help that I didnt think to do before.

You could also maybe (?) check with your local lincoln/mercury dealer for a quote since the milan is the same vehicle. Checking my local price with installation quote from mercuryaccessories.com, it shows a much lower price at my local mercury dealer of 424.06. (North Park Lincoln mercury, San antonio tx)

It surprised me they show as so much cheaper, but maybe because they have the car prices inflated they want people to be happier with options/installation fees.

Great idea!

I'm thinking of buying a remote starter...

Does the remote starter from Ford, comes with programmable function... like, automatic start every 3 , 5 ,10 etc... hours or minutes...

I really need this function.. specially winter time...

I found this but it did not mention the features you need. See attachment below or...

Tech Documents

Use the pulldowns to select owner's guides and then electronics and then there will be a pdf of the owner's guide.

2_Way__Remote_Start_System_Owner_Guide_1_.pdf

So far all the responses on the bi model seem pretty favorable. Good range, consistent performance. $500 is a pretty good deal at least to the first quote I got from the local dealer of ~$700. I plan to call a few more in the area and see if I can get some competitive juices flowing!! :cheerleader:

How do you know exactly which remote start system you will receive? I did a factory order on my vehicle and ordered the remote start, but have not received the vehicle to check and see what model was installed... It just says "PowerCode Remote Start." Can anyone else that ordered the factory installed option let me know which model you received?

Here are the possibilities I can find from the Ford documentation:

1.) 7L3Z-19G364-AA-7-2T.jpg

2.) 2W7Z-19G364-CA-Sport%20Trac-2T.jpg

3.) 7L3Z-19G364-AA-6-2T.jpg

4.) 9G1Z-19G364-A-2T.jpg

If you select "Price and Build" on the FFH website, the image shown for the system is #1, but the description says it only has "one button" like #3. If you go to Ford's accessory website, it shows a selection between #3 or #4, which is confirmed by the installation documentation for the remote start interface.

To me, #3 has the worst offering of features and is the cheapest. #4 claims to have the longest range, and is bi-directional (it responds when the car turns on). However, if you check the installation instructions for #1, it can be connected in such a way that you can remotely activate your headlights and rear defroster. #2 seems to be a watered-down version of #1.

Do you think there is a way that the dealer can be convinced to install a certain model? I don't want to be paying for a more expensive model, but then receive a cheap one.

I included the installation instructions for each model as an attachment (#4 is included in the previous post).

Sorry for the long drawn-out post, I just want to be sure I'm getting my money's worth...

1.pdf

2.pdf

3.pdf

Mine came with Number 3. I was a little let down. I was expecting the option Number 4 that you have shown above. The unit works really well, however you don't know for sure if the car is started or not based on just the remote alone. If you watch the car the head lights turn on (at least on mine) when you hit the button. Hope this helps.

Mine came with Number 3. I was a little let down I was expecting the option number 4 that you have shown above. The unit works really well however you don't know for sure if the car is started or not based on just the remote alone. If you watch the car the head lights turn on on mine when I hit the button. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try and see if I can convince them to install #4 instead. On the Ford accessory website it's not really that much of a price difference between the two.

In fact, I would be willing to pay the difference (I'm an engineer--gotta have the features!)

I ordered my FFH with Remote Start and mine is like # 3. Don't know that you have the option of getting anything else when ordering the car. I assume that a remote start can be installed at the dealer after it arrives or later on, but I chose to order my car with it. It would be nice to have the two way communication of # 4.

I second that. Why does ford not tell you about the multiple versions when you order at the dealership. I like my auto start but would love if it had bidirectional so that in the cases I tried to far away, I knew to try again.

I second that. Why does ford not tell you about the multiple versions when you order at the dealership. I like my auto start but would love if it had bidirectional so that in the cases I tried to far away, I knew to try again.

It seems like there are Not "multiple versions" when you order factory-installed. The multiple versions are only if you have it installed aftermarket from the dealer. (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong here).

Anyways, I got lucky as I did not know of the multiple versions when I bought my car. Dealer ordered the remote start, then I found out there were two versions when my car was in to have it installed. Dealer then refused to tell me which version they had (?) until I picked it up.

It seems like there are Not "multiple versions" when you order factory-installed. The multiple versions are only if you have it installed aftermarket from the dealer. (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong here).

Anyways, I got lucky as I did not know of the multiple versions when I bought my car. Dealer ordered the remote start, then I found out there were two versions when my car was in to have it installed. Dealer then refused to tell me which version they had (?) until I picked it up.

If I had a dealer who was a Ahole like that I'd tell him he got the last of my business and the last time I would ever buy another car from him even if I didn't mean it as he don't know that.

Ford made this a bit complex...

There is no actual remote start factory option for the car. There is a factory option for the remote start pre-wiring. If you get this option then it is much simpler (and a bit cheaper) to install the remote start. Unfortunately the order lists "remote start".

When the car comes in you can then have the dealer (or more likely an outside vendor) install one of the 2 available remote start units. It is one part# if you got the remote start pre-wire factory option and two part#s if the car did not come with the option.

Some dealers seem to be better at figuring this out than others. Both kits are supposed to work with the factory pre-wire but somewhere out there is information that says that the 2-way kit only works with the factory pre-wire. This may be why you did not get an option. I don't know which is true but I am very interested because I want to get the 2-way and I did not get a car with the factory pre-wire option.

Jon

There is no actual remote start factory option for the car. There is a factory option for the remote start pre-wiring. If you get this option then it is much simpler (and a bit cheaper) to install the remote start. Unfortunately the order lists "remote start".

When the car comes in you can then have the dealer (or more likely an outside vendor) install one of the 2 available remote start units. It is one part# if you got the remote start pre-wire factory option and two part#s if the car did not come with the option.

Some dealers seem to be better at figuring this out than others. Both kits are supposed to work with the factory pre-wire but somewhere out there is information that says that the 2-way kit only works with the factory pre-wire. This may be why you did not get an option. I don't know which is true but I am very interested because I want to get the 2-way and I did not get a car with the factory pre-wire option.

Jon

No I bought the car off the lot, it did not have a remote start installed. Paid for remote start up front on the bill of sale though but dealer had to order/install it. When it came in it took ~1week for them to install it they wouldnt tell me the problem when I called..

[rest is off-topic but responds to Davem's quote/reply about them not telling me which remote start it was when I called in while the car was in for the installation]

found out afterwards one of the parts was bad and they had to wait for a new one to be sent. They also "forgot" to tell me to bring both key fobs, so I had to have someone make an extra trip ~30mi+ across town to deliver that. Anyways I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt for the miscommunication/poor communication and fill out the survey favorably as they had worked through it and I am still happy overall.... but I did get po'd about a week ago and havent decided how I will report the new problem. (This is all off topic though from the thread...), I went in for the 5k tire rotation and was approached and offered "a free tank of gas" if I brought in the survey unfilled to them instead of filling it out myself because they "knew there had initially been some problems" and "anything except a 5 each survey question is Failing". I'm going to have to find another dealer for any service related things now as now I am upset with them. I'll also have to find out where best to report their bribing/attempt to cheat the customer satisfaction survey to ford. It was insulting to be approached with the bribe, it insinuates that I would have such low moral standards as to accept it, as well as assuming I had no sense of value as a tank of gas was only around $30-$45 and the car was over $30000.

Jon

I'm in the same situation where no factory remote start but want the 2 way. I would go with it in a heartbeat but I am kinda concerned with all the work needed to install. Many steps and pretty involved running wires, removing panels, etc... Not typically a big deal but I get a little paranoid they will screw something up and create some issue like panel fit or squeaking that will drive me crazy.

One Ford service advisor quoted a install price then promptly recommended I go to a local shop and have them do it. Did not say why though.

If you go out and search for aftermarket remote starters you will find some pretty fancy ones even with displays. Pricing with install is comparable to dealer but the aftermarket ones have a ton more features. More to go wrong though and maybe some concern in flawless hybrid vehicle system interaction.

I'm in the same situation where no factory remote start but want the 2 way. I would go with it in a heartbeat but I am kinda concerned with all the work needed to install. Many steps and pretty involved running wires, removing panels, etc... Not typically a big deal but I get a little paranoid they will screw something up and create some issue like panel fit or squeaking that will drive me crazy.

One Ford service advisor quoted a install price then promptly recommended I go to a local shop and have them do it. Did not say why though.

If you go out and search for aftermarket remote starters you will find some pretty fancy ones even with displays. Pricing with install is comparable to dealer but the aftermarket ones have a ton more features. More to go wrong though and maybe some concern in flawless hybrid vehicle system interaction.

I just ordered one to have installed on my Hybrid as being a Hybrid I don't want to take any chances having some pimpled face kid messing with it. Should be here tomorrow or Monday.

If you look at the earlier posts you will see that there is no factory installed remote start system - rather a factory installed remote start harness. The dealer has to install the system itself once the car arrives. It is easier and cleaner to have the harness installed at the factory. It can be installed at the dealer if you did not get the factory option but it is two parts and you have to have a good tech do it because there are lots of panels to pull and harnesses to tap. Now since you have the 1-way system you can simply have them remove the current interface from the harness and have them put in the 2-way (I think this requires the antenna to be re-run as well). This is unless of course Ford has changed something since the car was first available.

Jon

I have the Powercode Remote Start System on my FFH that came from the factory.

I have been wondering if I were to purchase the Bi-Directional Remote Start (Ford part # 9G1Z-19G364-A) if any of the parts are the same as the factory remote start so that only some parts would have to be replaced?

Anyone have an educated guess? Would like to have the benefits of the bi-directional unit.

Thanks will wait for your reply. I just don't understand why it isn't standard on the car like on most GM cars. Here is a case on the hybrid where they give you a power passenger seat which for most of us will hardly ever be used. The money they spent on that could have went to a remote start.

Hybrid car is very good for human being it save enverment. it is best car which make by ford. remote start option save time of peopel .

================================

khemchand

SEO

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try and see if I can convince them to install #4 instead. On the Ford accessory website it's not really that much of a price difference between the two.

In fact, I would be willing to pay the difference (I'm an engineer--gotta have the features!)

Well, I tried and failed. The dealer claimed complete ignorance and said that mine was the first car he had ever got remote start for and he didn't know how it worked. As well, he said that their dealership really wasn't an accessory installation dealership and that they only have one guy that can install stuff like that. He claimed to have talked to the person that would install it, but I don't think he really did. I explained why the bidirectional model was important to me, but he didn't see what the difference was. When I finally picked up the vehicle, he went on and on about how it would have been $1000 more for the bidirectional model. I just gave up... Oh well...

The good news is that the one button remote start fob is actually quite small. From the pictures, I thought that it was about the size of the old Ford keyless entry fobs, but the remote start fobs are thin and about half that size. I would say maybe 1'' by 0.5'' and only about 0.25'' thick, if that.

Well, I tried and failed. The dealer claimed complete ignorance and said that mine was the first car he had ever got remote start for and he didn't know how it worked. As well, he said that their dealership really wasn't an accessory installation dealership and that they only have one guy that can install stuff like that. He claimed to have talked to the person that would install it, but I don't think he really did. I explained why the bidirectional model was important to me, but he didn't see what the difference was. When I finally picked up the vehicle, he went on and on about how it would have been $1000 more for the bidirectional model. I just gave up... Oh well...

The good news is that the one button remote start fob is actually quite small. From the pictures, I thought that it was about the size of the old Ford keyless entry fobs, but the remote start fobs are thin and about half that size. I would say maybe 1'' by 0.5'' and only about 0.25'' thick, if that.

I got the bi-directional for $535 which included the 2nd remote which was $50. A long way from $1000 more. I'd tell that dealer that there is no way in H--l you'd ever buy another car from him and if there was another Ford dealer around I'd tell him don't bother looking for me to ever do business with you and I'll tell everybody I know just what kind of dealer he is. We need to weed out these dealers. I'd also file a complaint with Ford too.

I think I finally got the Ford accessory site to show prices for part and installation. At least I think so. I had been adding the bi-directional remote to the cart and then putting in a zipcode near where I worked. Every dealer had a button labeled "Request Quote". Well today I put in a zip code closer to home and one dealer line item showed a button "Order Online". I clicked that and it returned to the main page showing cost of part plus installation!! And boy it seems too good to be true. $404 for part plus installation. I am gonna call the dealer directly because that is far below some of the quotes when I called dealers near where I work.

I got the bi-directional for $535 which included the 2nd remote which was $50. A long way from $1000 more. I'd tell that dealer that there is no way in H--l you'd ever buy another car from him and if there was another Ford dealer around I'd tell him don't bother looking for me to ever do business with you and I'll tell everybody I know just what kind of dealer he is. We need to weed out these dealers. I'd also file a complaint with Ford too.

Yea, I can't say that I'm really happy with this dealer, but he did give me the best price. I don't want to fail him on the survey and make him never want to deal with bargain-hunters again, but at the same time, he wasn't all "5 stars" either.

I guess I'll see when I finally get the survey from Ford.

I think I finally got the Ford accessory site to show prices for part and installation. At least I think so. I had been adding the bi-directional remote to the cart and then putting in a zipcode near where I worked. Every dealer had a button labeled "Request Quote". Well today I put in a zip code closer to home and one dealer line item showed a button "Order Online". I clicked that and it returned to the main page showing cost of part plus installation!! And boy it seems too good to be true. $404 for part plus installation. I am gonna call the dealer directly because that is far below some of the quotes when I called dealers near where I work.

Yea, the accessory site is very buggy and only really works in Internet Explorer, although I have gotten it to work with Google Chrome.

The prices from Ford seem much better than those from the dealer, so if it actually works, I would highly recommend this method. Like you said, try to find a dealer in your area that says "Order Online" so you don't have to deal directly with the dealer for payment.