Howie411

2014 FFH Titanium 1 Week Review

Congrats! One thing that people tend to overlook regard the Active Park Assist feature, is the ability to use the front sensors full time.

This is great for just garage parking or close quarters parking in general. Since you're in the Northern VA area, I'm sure you're familiar with close quarters parking and tight garage parking spaces.

I did like that feature, but not when in traffic as it would go off all the time, even when there was plenty of space in front. Whats strange is my Flex has APA, but no front sensors.

Two things go against this car from the very start. Short trips(under 7 miles) and speeds above 65 MPH. Either one of these will kill gas mileage. This is especially true for one that hasn't even broken in yet. One of the most important things we discovered here on the forum is that you need to "train" the car to get good MPG. GrySql did just that after a hard reset. His car was acting just like yours did, and he has been getting much better results after his training session.

Every car has a sweet spot, and the FFH is right around 65 MPH for best interstate MPG. Highway MPG is right around 50 MPH. City I find if you can cruise around 40 MPH, you can exceed EPA.

Note that there are actually 3 different types of driving, City, highway and interstate. EPA only tests for city and highway. In the EPA definition of highway, they are referring to rural highways of 55 MPH. When driven on these roads, your average MPH does come out to roughly 45 MPH as their tests indicate. This is part of the reason why most of us dont see EPA at "highway" speeds in this car. If you drive them at EPA highway, the car can get 47 MPG, I have done it myself when conditions were perfect for it many times. Add in wind, hills, and temps above and below the "sweet" spot, and YMMV.

Some may argue that I am wrong with the 3 types, but think about it, other than a major city, where do you see an Interstate under 65 MPH? Where do you see a rural highway over 55 MPH? I am pretty certain that if the EPA changes its highway to be more realistic to Interstate speeds, then you will be seeing much lower highway numbers across the board.

acdii: I'm sure you're sick of me by now ;)

Nope, I was much more vocal here when I was having issues with my first FFH. I'm surprised I didn't get lynched by fellow members. Now I just am hoping I can pass along what I found with my first one to help others with what I learned. My first one had issues, but Ford wouldn't acknowledge them. When all 4 spark plugs foul, at 4500 miles, and the car has always gotten lousy gas mileage, something isnt right with it, but they patted me on the head, now run along son, nothing wrong here, and sent me on my way. That just ticked me off further. I even offered for them to take the car to one of their test facilities and find out why it does so bad, even if it took them a month or two, but they wanted nothing of it. Thankfully my dealer understood my frustration and helped me out greatly. They gave me a fair deal on replacing it, and now the one I have I LOVE! It is getting exactly what I expected it would get summer and winter, and is a joy to drive. The only thing that I am not in love with are the seats, but I can change that at some point with a softer seat cushion from an SE Luxury model if I come across a wrecked one.

I for one DO understand your frustration, I have been there and done that. It sours you to the car, and though the first one was a joy to drive and very comfortable, the fact that Ford gave me the shaft without a smile or lube, made me hate the car. Now I can throw it back in their face and say SEE I TOLD YOU SO, but since it would serve no purpose, why bother, they wont reimburse me the money I lost.