hybridbear

Software Updates from Ford to improve MPGs

However, I have to believe that the extra fuel used to charge the battery is more than offset by periods of ICE free highway driving.

This is what I was getting at in the other thread when I posted the basic graph that is based on the numbers on the spreadsheet -- I think that the slower speeds with the more EV periods yield a bit better MPG, while others will maintain that keeping a steady higher speed with the ICE running at a lighter load does the more efficient job. I've always said take a repeatable course (like the daily commute) and sample with various speeds... I've done that and found that the steady slower speed where the EV kicks in more tends to do better for my particular course/terrain, but that might not hold true for everyone's, which is why the term 'YMMV' exists.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7404-a-hypothesis-75mph-is-the-highway-mpg-sweet-spot/page-3

I think the unspoken consensus on the MPG TSB is that overall, it makes very little difference really either way.

At least that's my feeling.

And if you're new to owning a hybrid and wherever you live, it's gotten 10,20,30 degrees colder in the

past few weeks, you're mileage will go down. Don't expect that through the winter you're going to get

the same as you did during the summer. I'd think that would be very obvious to most, but I doubt

it is to some.

My 2010 FFH went down at least 5-6 MPG in the coldest part of the winter and there isn't much that

can be done about it.

I think the unspoken consensus on the MPG TSB is that overall, it makes very little difference really either way.

I believe it's made a small change, for my car was an improvement of maybe 3-5% or so -- however you're right, the much bigger factor is the change in weather, be it really hot or really cold.