hybridbear

600 mile club

Hmmm ok so I'm in the 600 mpg club, but only if you define it as "how far you went since you last put gas in the tank" (which seems to me like a fair way to define it). Over the last few tanks, for some reason I've been able to consistently get a bit more gas into the tank on every fill. I use the lowest latch on the pump, and fill 1 gallon at a time before stopping, pulling the pump out of the tube halfway and waiting 30 seconds before putting in the next gallon. It takes a while, but at my last fill up, I was at 10 DTE and I got 13.94 gallons into the tank, which was a record. I just wanted to see how much I could actually get in there, since I'll never be able to do much more than 42-43 MPG here in Atlanta. I'll try to record a video to document my next fillup so that folks don't think I'm full of s#$t on this.

600 Mile Tank

I use the lowest latch on the pump, and fill 1 gallon at a time before stopping, pulling the pump out of the tube halfway and waiting 30 seconds before putting in the next gallon.

Note to self - Do not pull into the gas station behind Larry Riley Jr! ;)

New 600 miler, requesting permission to join the club. Next up, the 1,000 mile club - not 1,000 miles per tank of course, but 1,000+ miles travelled while maintaining 50+ MPG.

post-5477-0-26691300-1413315012_thumb.jpg

Like most things, it's a trade-off. Me? I like spending less of my time at gas stations. My previous car had me there every 4-5 days. Now, it's more like every 8-10.

600 mile tanks have been the norm for me since May.

Do we think I am fine rolling on past 0 to get that 600? My lifetime average right now if it makes any difference is sitting at 45.9.

You are risking damage to your car and the inconvenience of being stranded with an empty gas tank. You can find all kinds of information on-line about damage that may result when you run the gas tank dry. This is a choice you have to make and should not be a collective decision from the members of this forum.

Here is what your owner's manual says about running out of fuel:

RUNNING OUT OF FUEL

Avoid running out of fuel because this situation may have an adverse effect on vehicle components.

Your vehicle is equipped with various emission control components and a catalytic converter that will enable your vehicle to comply with applicable exhaust emission standards. To make sure that the catalytic converter and other emission control components continue to work properly:

• Use only the specified fuel listed.

• Avoid running out of fuel.

I only ask because at 11.5 gallons for each fill up that supposedly leaves me with 2 gallons left in the tank.

Seems like there are a few possible explanations why our FFHs are leaving around 2 gallons of reserve in the tank:

1. To leave enough fuel in the tank for lubrication/cooling of the fuel pump inside the tank. You can find lots of discussion about this within this forum and elsewhere on-line.
  2. To provide a buffer to save the motorist that ignores the DTE.
  3. To provide a margin for error in the trip computer's MPG calculations and DTE calculations. Most of us experience around 2-4 MPG inflation in the trip computer's MPG calculation so we know it is not 100% accurate.

If the goal of achieving 600 miles on a single tank of gas is very important to you, then the choice is yours. The risk of damaging my FFH or being stranded would not be worth it to me but that is only me.

Calculate how many miles you actually get, and use that as a buffer zone when hitting 0 DTE. If you use 11.5 gallons, and get 45 MPG, then you have a 90 mile buffer, split that to be safe. IOW, you can go about 45 miles past DTE before filling is a must. My car routinely gets to 0 DTE at 10.5-11 gallons, and using the buffer of 44 MPG, I usually get about that much more depending on when the car yells, Fill ME.

I wouldn't go past 1 gallon though, the accuracy of the gauge and trip is always questionable, and could be off as much as a half gallon. If my trip reads 11.5 used, max I would go is 40 miles. Even at that my nerves are on edge since there are too many variables at play. Beyond that and you put your car at risk like Texasota says. To date I have never put more than 12 gallons in the car. And that is a LOT of fills over the past 35400 miles.

I chickened out with the DTE showing 1 lol. I pretty much knew I had more gas on there as I over filled it on the last fill-up.

attachicon.gif1103141037.jpg

Oh so close -- my rule of thumb is that I take the number of gallons the display says I've used on that tank and add 1 gallon as a fudge factor and use that as my threshold to how much gas I should have left.

I didn't go for an exact fill-up, but put in $35 which gave me 11.2 gallons and was most of the way full. About 95% I would say.

For a guy who's tracking his fuel economy, that doesn't make any sense!