hybridbear

600 mile club

The gage in the FFH lies. That is because Ford lied to keep the truth from coming out, but it did in the end no matter what. Actual mileage is worse than advertised. Yes, you can drive in the city like a grandma and hypermile with air conditioning off in the summer and you will get high numbers. But the highway numbers are way off, no if or buts about that. I am reaching 8,000 miles now and kept a close tally on this. Had taken my car in many times to get everything checked out before, and all I saw was protecting the lie. Now it's in the public, I am taking it back so I can get a check from Ford. 42mpg is still way optimistic for normal highway driving, but closer to the truth. Hope they recalibrate the gage as well. I never have been able to put more than 11.5 gallons in the car either. No clue why it keeps that much apparent reserve.

The gage in the FFH lies. That is because Ford lied to keep the truth from coming out, but it did in the end no matter what. Actual mileage is worse than advertised. Yes, you can drive in the city like a grandma and hypermile with air conditioning off in the summer and you will get high numbers. But the highway numbers are way off, no if or buts about that. I am reaching 8,000 miles now and kept a close tally on this. Had taken my car in many times to get everything checked out before, and all I saw was protecting the lie. Now it's in the public, I am taking it back so I can get a check from Ford. 42mpg is still way optimistic for normal highway driving, but closer to the truth. Hope they recalibrate the gage as well. I never have been able to put more than 11.5 gallons in the car either. No clue why it keeps that much apparent reserve.

This has been covered in many threads. The fuel gauge is computer driven based on averages. If your first fill is 10 gallons, the 2nd and 3rd fills are 10 gallons, the computer will set your DTE based on 10 gallons. The first tank is very conservative on DTE to prevent you from running out of gas. If you drive it until you have used 12 gallons, then do that for the next few tanks, your DTE will start to show as longer miles until empty. According to what I read in a PDF that explains the system there is no direct link between the float in the tank and the fuel gauge on the dash, the computer is between them. It also does not know your tank capacity, just how many gallons have been used.

That only works if there is a return suction line wihi

How many gallons did the Smart Gauge say you used? :)

Paul

ch most pumps don't have outside Metro Areas. I thought there was a thread wear someone ran out of gas and put 13.5gals in. Seems odd that the tank wouldn't be bigger than that. IMO CMAX is 13.9-14gallon tank depending how level the car is. :)

Paul

If I don't fill past first click, the amount of gas the pump says I put in and the amount the car thinks I used will usually be less than 1/2 gallon. When I fill up gets dictated by my commute. It is 100mi round trip and a prefer to fill up at on station near my home. Thus if DTE is less than 100 mi near home and I have to commute the next day I will fill up. If I'm at work and DTE is over 50mi then I'll wait to get home to fill up.

So, I was pretty excited on my last tank, where I hit 618, but decided not to post it because there was a pump malfunction when I filled up afterwards and it said I put 14.25 gallons in. Even though I spent the last 20 miles below 0 DTE, I will never know exactly how my first 600 mile tank really stacked up. (I decided to estimate my fill on Fuelly as 13.25 to be conservative.)
But *day-um*. I know how I did this time.

20140623 184425

The crazy awesome is that I actually was only able to stuff (with my normal 2 extra clicks) 11.86 gallons into the tank. Actual mileage: 54.8. I didn't even get a fuel warning until about 625.

I'm beginning to love summertime...

I find that the first click of the pump is usually about 1 gallon less than what the trip computer says I've used. If I wait a 10-15 seconds before turning the pump back on then it will not click off again until it has surpassed the amount the trip computer says I've used.

How much do you typically put in your tank?

If I drive to 0 DTE and put 13.3 gallons in, I can get ~580s when I get back to 0 DTE. Of course, this has been a rare occurrence (meaning one time). I'm happy with the mileage, so I don't feel a need to repeat.

I had traveled 8 miles below 0 DTE. With my 2010 Fusion 3.0 I was able to travel 25 to 30 miles after 0 DTE I did this often and my low gas warning would always come on at 50 miles to empty.

What is DTE?