hybridbear

600 mile club

What's the point?

If it happens in case of emergency ok maybe but there are more important things in life I wanna know before I have a desire to know if my car holds 12 or 13.5 or 13.9 gal of gas.

Agreed. Especially when our FFH owners manual states that running out of gas will likely damage the car. I just don't understand the thrill or personal challenge involved with this.

The Owners Manual says 13.5gal so I think around 13.9-14gal. I'm going to try to find out next Tuesday when I'm going to borrow dealer FFH and run it out of gas. Finally get the answer and have my gas can ready if I can't EV it to a gas station. I'm amassed that no one on this forum hasn't run out of gas in two years that the car has been out. :shift: :)

Paul

Why are you borrowing a dealer FFH to perform this stunt? Why not do it with your own car?

The owner's manual also states this about running out of fuel:

Your vehicle is equipped with various emission control components and a catalytic converter that will enable your vehicle to comply with applicable exhaust
emission standards. To make sure that the catalytic converter and other emission control components continue to work properly:
• Use only the specified fuel listed.
• Avoid running out of fuel.

If you are so confident that the owner's manual is incorrect, then why are you only performing this test on a borrowed car instead of your own?

BTW you go into EV mode when you run out of gas, I went a 1/4mile to the gas station I was planing on stopping at. The car starts right up when you put gas in it.

That sounds all well and good, but what happens when the station is farther away than what the remaining charge in the HVB can take you? The car does not have a traditional starter motor, so with a depleted HVB, wouldn't you be screwed?

The bear goes over the mountain to see what he can see...

Ol' PT is an explorer and funding for explorers is hard to come by so he innovates. ;)

GrySql, you have a gift with words. ;)

I can't help but wonder what the reaction would be if the roles were reversed. Assume that Ted, a Ford technician, is also an "innovative explorer" and is performing a reprogramming of the PCM on PT's FFH. Ted thinks that steps 7-13 in the service manual are only legalize even though the manual warns that skipping steps 7-13 may result in intermittent yellow wrench displays and damage to the emission control components. Ted wants to “test and learn” so he circumvents steps 7-13. Two days later the car is back in the shop because of the yellow wrench being intermittently displayed. Ted explains to PT that he skipped steps 7-13 on his car because he wanted to "test and learn".

Seems like PT might have two possible reactions upon learning that his car was used for experiments in this manner:

1. I'm fine with the technician experimenting to increase his knowledge. We all benefit from the experiment on my car.

OR

2. I’m enraged that you would perform this experiment on my car.

The initial point of post #178 (http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6964-600-mile-club/?p=90686) was to learn what happens when driving past a DTE of zero but, in my opinion, that interesting discussion is largely overshadowed by the ethics issue.

Well let's figure this out. You used 11.7gal. and the tank holds 14.1gal. so you had approx. 2.4gal left and at 51.36mpg on your tank= 724mi. you could have gone. Good Job! :)

Paul

That's very likely false. What it can hold (according to your one-time run-it-out-of-gas experiment) and what his held at any given time are likely different, maybe very different. Published capacity is 13.5, but either way, I suspect fill-ups may vary wildly, from pump to pump, angle of the car, and the tendency of the person to overfill or top-off their tank.

After tracking 21 tanks the trip display MPG as compared to my hand calculated MPG varies from +4.46 (over reporting) to -3.6 (under reporting) which is a range of 8.06. I don't think this variance is caused by randomness in the fuel metering componentry of the car. It is much more likely caused by exactly the reasons md13ffhguy listed (and especially the angle of the car when refueling).

I think this wide range in trip vs hand calculated MPG suggests that there is almost always a variance (sometimes significant and maybe wildly) when refueling just as md13ffhguy suggested.

OK Gang, I've made the big league. Barely squeaked it out but did anyway. At least I now know I can make it. Hopefully things will improve

once the weather warms up a bit.attachicon.gif600 miles.jpg

Wow that's very good not only for the weather not being really warm yet, but also with less than 2k miles on the car... you will probably be getting even better when the car has about 5k miles... congrats!