hybridbear

600 mile club

New 600 miler, requesting permission to join the club. Next up, the 1,000 mile club - not 1,000 miles per tank of course, but 1,000+ miles travelled while maintaining 50+ MPG.

post-5477-0-26691300-1413315012_thumb.jpg

Calculate how many miles you actually get, and use that as a buffer zone when hitting 0 DTE. If you use 11.5 gallons, and get 45 MPG, then you have a 90 mile buffer, split that to be safe. IOW, you can go about 45 miles past DTE before filling is a must. My car routinely gets to 0 DTE at 10.5-11 gallons, and using the buffer of 44 MPG, I usually get about that much more depending on when the car yells, Fill ME.

I wouldn't go past 1 gallon though, the accuracy of the gauge and trip is always questionable, and could be off as much as a half gallon. If my trip reads 11.5 used, max I would go is 40 miles. Even at that my nerves are on edge since there are too many variables at play. Beyond that and you put your car at risk like Texasota says. To date I have never put more than 12 gallons in the car. And that is a LOT of fills over the past 35400 miles.

I chickened out with the DTE showing 1 lol. I pretty much knew I had more gas on there as I over filled it on the last fill-up.

attachicon.gif1103141037.jpg

Oh so close -- my rule of thumb is that I take the number of gallons the display says I've used on that tank and add 1 gallon as a fudge factor and use that as my threshold to how much gas I should have left.