hybridbear

600 mile club

The gage in the FFH lies. That is because Ford lied to keep the truth from coming out, but it did in the end no matter what. Actual mileage is worse than advertised. Yes, you can drive in the city like a grandma and hypermile with air conditioning off in the summer and you will get high numbers. But the highway numbers are way off, no if or buts about that. I am reaching 8,000 miles now and kept a close tally on this. Had taken my car in many times to get everything checked out before, and all I saw was protecting the lie. Now it's in the public, I am taking it back so I can get a check from Ford. 42mpg is still way optimistic for normal highway driving, but closer to the truth. Hope they recalibrate the gage as well. I never have been able to put more than 11.5 gallons in the car either. No clue why it keeps that much apparent reserve.

This has been covered in many threads. The fuel gauge is computer driven based on averages. If your first fill is 10 gallons, the 2nd and 3rd fills are 10 gallons, the computer will set your DTE based on 10 gallons. The first tank is very conservative on DTE to prevent you from running out of gas. If you drive it until you have used 12 gallons, then do that for the next few tanks, your DTE will start to show as longer miles until empty. According to what I read in a PDF that explains the system there is no direct link between the float in the tank and the fuel gauge on the dash, the computer is between them. It also does not know your tank capacity, just how many gallons have been used.