Edit: I want to clarify that when I say the octane rating is the same for all the grades, I mean that even though it may be advertised as 87/89/91 octane, they may take a sample, test them all, and the results show actual octane measurement at 92/92/92.

That wouldnt be the case. The octane is derived from the additives (isooctane is one) to the gasoline and is measured in such a way that no matter what the other additives are the "may" increase octane, the proportional amount of octane boost is reduced, so the final product is what they say it is. Another thing about octane, it isnt about the amount of power it can produce, but more along the lines of how much compression the engine has. The higher the compression, the higher the auto-ignition temp is, so you use higher octane to prevent pre-ignition/detonation. This allows you to get the most power out of the fuel as well, its slows its burn rate. This is why running premium in a low compression engine has negative benefits, it uses more fuel because more fuel is actually wasted by not completing its burn cycle. Faster burning fuel is good for a low compression engine.

Its too complicated to go over all of it, and can get very confusing too.

Hometown prices today range $4.539 - $4.299 and rising.

Yikes - I just got back from filling up - $3.259, a whole buck per gallon difference? Wow

Your state has 22¢ per gallon more tax than mine, the rest of it is a lot of fluff to make up!

http://www.virginiagasprices.com/USA_Tax_Map.aspx

Looks like the high prices hit Wisconsin too. Filled up at my usual place, $4.09 for 87. The cost saver in Harvard, if you buy something and scan the receipt at the pump you save 7 cents a gallon for 25 gallons, and their regular is 89 octane, so I topped off the Flex and got 5 gallons for the JD tractor. That made it a few cents cheaper then Wisconsin and is 6 miles closer, and not as rough on the MPG.

I will see if this second tank in the Fusion nets about the same, if it drops I will get it from the cost savers instead, since I believe they filled the tank there.

As a BSG fan, I get a laugh when I hear them Fracking.

Anyhow, on the news, Chicago once again has the highest gas prices in the country, with the average price being $4.48.

I've seen 3.29 as the low around here this week. I have a 40 cent/gallon discount coupon at one of the grocery chains, so I'm hoping to see a 2 as the first number in my gas price for the first time in a long time next time I fill up.

I read an interesting article last week about states that use a gas tax. Apparently some law makers want to start adding additional fees to owners of hybrid and electric vehicles to recoup the taxes "lost" in gasoline purchases that their owners are not making. Perhaps that has been discussed here, I didn't search, just thought it was interesting.