Upstream

Daytime Running Lights and Automatic Headlights

I found during the day with the headlights on, the dash lights were a bit dim even turned full bright, so you're right about that. Go with DRL. Just try to talk them into charging you maybe 30 minutes labor instead of a full hour, if they charge you at all. Depends on the dealer, I guess. Doesn't take that long for them to do.

Don't forget you might be entitled to an insurance discount for DRLs. You don't get a discount for covering the light sensor. ;)

We've been down that road already and we'll just have to agree to disagree (again). I realize there are some statistics that say there is a small measurable drop in accident rates but it's very small and I question the validity because there are so many other factors involved.

I also believe that people who pull out in front of other people just forget to look at all so DRLs won't help there. If you actually look and you can't see another car (motorcycles are a different story) in broad daylight then you shouldn't be driving.

Turning on headlamps automatically at dusk and when using the wipers (rain) is a real safety improvement. Make that mandatory instead of DRLs.

Statistics aside.

When passing a slower moving vehicle (or a line of holiday trailers/motorhomes) going in the same direction, on a two lane highway, I find DRLs a great benefit in seeing oncoming traffic.

Drivers wake up real quickly when seeing oncoming lights in "their" lane.

Regards from Canada.

They've been implemented in most countries, but the thing holding them back in the US seems to be some concerns about glare. According to wikipedia anyway :)

That's funny, considering all the poorly aimed lights, (Love driving in light rain at night and seeing how many cars have their searchlights aimed at the sky for the bomber formations.) blinding HID's, people who flick the high-beams on probably not knowing what they are and deciding they can see better and will just leave them on.........

I think Akirby was asking why you didn't select the autoheadlight option when selecting your Fusion. You can buy a Fusion with or without autoheadlights. Seems strange that someone who thinks it is important would select a Fusion without.

Not if you're picking one off the lot... Isn't that standard on SEL? Maybe he doesn't like leather or something. I don't recall seeing auto lights thrown on as an option in any cars in the dealers lot.

Edit: LOL! Drocpsu posted already while I was typing and sort of confirmed my thought!

PS Drocpsu, one dealer tried to charge me 1 hour labor for the DRL enable, but another did it for 30 minutes labor charge. Negotiate!

Edited by xmech2k

Not if you're picking one off the lot... Isn't that standard on SEL? Maybe he doesn't like leather or something. I don't recall seeing auto lights thrown on as an option in any cars in the dealers lot.

Edit: LOL! Drocpsu posted already while I was typing and sort of confirmed my thought!

PS Drocpsu, one dealer tried to charge me 1 hour labor for the DRL enable, but another did it for 30 minutes labor charge. Negotiate!

I have a great dealer. Mine did a free activation.

Edited by FFHdriver