DaveM

Most Worthless Thing on your Fusion

Ok, I've had my FFH now since Oct. and of all the technology on this car including the Nav the thing I find the most worthless is the Calendar. I see no reason for even having it. I had a Toronado once that when you first started it up would greet me on screen with Good Morning/Afternoon/evening (name) depending on the time and say today is Jan. 16, 2010. This all scrolled across the screen. I'd rather see the computer room used for something like this but I have to look at the Sony Logo instead. So what do you think is the most worthless option or whatever on your Fusion.

Another thing I think wasn't well thought out is the little plastic hooks in the trunk for plastic grocery bags. They are almost on the floor. Why didn't they put them up about a foot or so?

The oil dipstick flap which when left up cracks the engine cover when you close the hood. I hear that's been removed.

Yeah, that Sony logo is annoying, especially when you have already started backing out of your garage, and you need the rear view camera. Things I find useful but hard to find, are the altitude, (on the where-are-you screen under info), but so small you can hardly read it, and the ability to mark as an address point, where you are. I did it the other day but then couldn't remember how I did it next time I needed to do it. And I can't figure out how to put in a longitude latitude location.

I find the altitude useful to often explain why the mileage is higher or lower than expected, knowing if you are going up or downhill, which you often are even if it appears that you are traveling level.

The oil dipstick flap which when left up cracks the engine cover when you close the hood. I hear that's been removed.

Yes it has as I have one without it. They changed the shape of the opening to completly round now but it looks like the cover is missing which it isn't as the picture of the old hole is different.

Yeah, that Sony logo is annoying, especially when you have already started backing out of your garage, and you need the rear view camera. Things I find useful but hard to find, are the altitude, (on the where-are-you screen under info), but so small you can hardly read it, and the ability to mark as an address point, where you are. I did it the other day but then couldn't remember how I did it next time I needed to do it. And I can't figure out how to put in a longitude latitude location.

I find the altitude useful to often explain why the mileage is higher or lower than expected, knowing if you are going up or downhill, which you often are even if it appears that you are traveling level.

I'll have to check that out, I didn't know we had altitude as this is the first Nav car (4) I've had that had that option. I too think this is great.

Since someone already picked the useless grocery hooks, I'll vote for the auto door locks. I've got them turned off - at least they can be disabled.

...So what do you think is the most worthless option or whatever on your Fusion.

The most USELESS WHATEVER has to be the MICROSOFT tag on my console. I'm almost surprised that there isn't some sort of OS sticker stuck in the middle of the radio for Sync.

The auto-on interior lights. I'll turn the friggin things on when I like. Getting on my soapbox again, but like I mentioned before, you park somewhere at night, turn off the car, and (as I finally noticed) when you take the keys out of the ignition, the lights come on themselves and anyone can see, 'oh that pretty young lady is all by herself'. Not in my case, as I'm not a lady or young, or pretty for that matter, but you get my point. And then, in the AM when I'm getting all my crap together to go into work, and the auto light goes out before I open the door, I turn on a map light to get my stuff, forget it's not the auto-light, and find the map light's still on when I'm leaving work... :cry: Hasn't killed the battery yet.

One thing that I would appreciate is some kind of light and/or indicator, that would let you know if your headlights are "on" in the daytime when you have it in the "auto" position. Here is the gray NW I like to have my headlights on when the visibility is not good (raining, misting, foggy) and it is hard to tell if my headlamps are on. I usually turn them on "manually" just to be sure, but would be nice to know without doing that. On other cars, you could usually tell if the headlamps were on by the dash lights changing to a dimmer setting when they were on, but not so with the FFH. The NAV sometimes changes brightness, but not sure if the headlamps or "on" or "off".

Haven't got my FFH yet, so can't say for sure. On my Ford Escape, I can tell the headlights are on by seeing that the foglight indicator is on. Does that work on the Fusion?

Haven't got my FFH yet, so can't say for sure. On my Ford Escape, I can tell the headlights are on by seeing that the foglight indicator is on. Does that work on the Fusion?

That don't sound worthless to me. On my FFH it doesn't matter as the headlights come on when needed and when they aren't on I have the daytime running lights on that I had turned on when I bought it.

Edited by DaveM

On my Ford Escape, I can tell the headlights are on by seeing that the foglight indicator is on. Does that work on the Fusion?

Yes. Sometimes that's the only way I can tell that they are on too.

The sunglasses holder that is too small to hold sunglasses. Brilliant idea Ford! I put my garage opener in it so I guess its not completely useless.

Things I don't use/care for:

Calendar - Check

Grocery Bag Hooks - Wasn't even aware... ha

Oil Flap - Check (specially when gas attendant dudes can't find dipstick but says CHECK ENGINE OIL right here)

Flash to Pass - never use, but on any vehicle I've purchased.

Yes, there is a fog light indicator (hadn't noticed it because of the angle from the driver's line of sight...can be seen better straight on) that would indicate that the headlights are on if you have your fog light switch on.

Well, that's something. I always have my fog lights on (when the headlights are on - not possible to have fog lights only without doing some rewiring), so I guess that'll be my headlights on indicator - like on my Escape.

I got a ticket once for not having my headlights on in the rain. My Escape is normally very good with the automatic headlights function, but in this case it was pretty bright out, even though it was raining heavily. So I have the same concern as you. The ticket did a pretty good job of training my to manually turn on the lights when it rains during the day.

Hi seamus. :D When the Fusion headlamp switch is set to "Autolamp", the headlights (and tail lights etc.) will illuminate automatically when the windshield wipers are turned on (there is short delay in case a person is using them to briefly clean the windshield).

Nice! Thanks for the info. I almost put that down in my last post as a wish.

Drivers door keypad. I never use it and probably never will.

Hi seamus. :D When the Fusion headlamp switch is set to "Autolamp", the headlights (and tail lights etc.) will illuminate automatically when the windshield wipers are turned on (there is short delay in case a person is using them to briefly clean the windshield).

This information is in the Owners Manual ( I realize you do not have one yet). From the 2007 Manual:

Windshield wiper features (if equipped with Autolamp feature)

The exterior lamps will turn on with the ignition on, headlamp control in

the Autolamp position and the windshield wipers are turned on (for a

fixed period of time).

While this does not give you the headlight indicator light you want, as long as you use your wipers in the rain you will not need to worry about a ticket for driving with no headlights.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I use the remote to lock and unlick the doors. Why push buttons?

Why not? That's one of the best features that Ford ever came up with. Perhaps you misunderstand how it's used?