DaveM

Most Worthless Thing on your Fusion

Just as I suspected.

1. If you lock your keys in the car accidentally you can unlock it (if you know the code)

2. You can allow others to enter your car without giving them the key. Works great for kids.

3. You can leave your keys in the car when swimming, hiking or going to an amusement park or doing anything where you don't want to have keys in your pocket.

4. You can lock (and unlock) the door while leaving the keys in the ignition and the car running

Number 4 is against the law in most places plus if a thief breaks the window and drives away your insurance won't pay.

Useless is on my non nav 2010 the words "Ford Fusion Hybrid" are displayed on the radio each time the car is started (it clears pretty quick so not a big problem) - I LIKE the key pad feature but have the key ready when you use it cause the factory alarm will go off if the car doesn't see a key within 8 seconds or so (i.e. don't send someone out to the locked car with nothing but the code for the door)

I can always tell when my lights are on because my dash dims way down. Sometimes if I am in a "grey zone" of weather the lights will go off/on 3 or 4 times during my commute.

Jon

Hi seamus. :D When the Fusion headlamp switch is set to "Autolamp", the headlights (and tail lights etc.) will illuminate automatically when the windshield wipers are turned on (there is short delay in case a person is using them to briefly clean the windshield).

This information is in the Owners Manual ( I realize you do not have one yet). From the 2007 Manual:

Windshield wiper features (if equipped with Autolamp feature)

The exterior lamps will turn on with the ignition on, headlamp control in

the Autolamp position and the windshield wipers are turned on (for a

fixed period of time).

While this does not give you the headlight indicator light you want, as long as you use your wipers in the rain you will not need to worry about a ticket for driving with no headlights.

Good luck. :beerchug:

That's not correct. Unlocking the doors with the keypad disables the alarm. You don't need a key. If yours is going off after opening with the keypad then it's not working correctly.

You are correct. The only thing that causes the alarm to go off is opening the door with the key (NOT using the remote transmitter). Then you have 12 seconds to put the key in the ignition and start the car.

Ok I was wrong about the drivers door keypad so here I go again, really like the auto dimming mirror

The auto-dimming mirror works great for me. My wife's van has dimming side mirrors too - I wish the Fusion had them.

The colored interior lights are the most useless thing for me... I would prefer something whiter and brighter to actually light the interior floors when needed.

I'll also add the LOUD simulated turn signal clicker to the list. I actually LOOK at my dash regularly and therefore don't leave my signals on. Give me an option to turn that darn thing off.

I'll second the vote for the sunglass holder. Don't bother putting one in if nothing fits in it.

Jon

Ok I was wrong about the drivers door keypad so here I go again, really like the auto dimming mirror

Hands down, the capless gas tank filler. So special that they have to put a funnel in the trunk and zip tie it to something. The first time you use it (such as when you dump the left-over lawn mower gas in the tank in the fall), the zip tie is trash and the funnel flies around in the truck for the next 100,000 miles. Unless you lose it. In which case you are REALLY screwed if you need it because you're not getting fuel in there otherwise.

And the trunk interior flap that "covers" it doesn't. It falls down on the floor of the trunk so that the funnel can be seen, along with the insulation on its backing which can be destroyed by suitcases, groceries, or dead bodies that you put in the trunk. Whatever! They had to spend major bucks on that development, and why? So that you don't leave your cap at the station? Put a zip tie on it like they've done for years. $.04 and it works.

Bob

I think the cap-less filler may be an attempt to reduce the incidence of the "Service Engine Soon" light that is most frequently caused by a loose or ill fitting gas cap. My funnel is safely stowed in the jack compartment. I think Ford may be standardizing on the cap-less system. They may figure it's more reliable than a cap. We shall see. The fuel and fuel vapor control system is very elaborate in an attempt to reduce emissions. The "Service Engine Soon" type light appearance is probably the most common cause for a trip to the dealer.

Lee

Help. Can't find the altitude...I see the longitude and latitude, but no altitude. Can you point the direction?

I agree with you about "the ability to mark as an address point, where you are". Is that possible? Have not figured that one out yet.

One thing that I would appreciate is some kind of light and/or indicator, that would let you know if your headlights are "on" in the daytime when you have it in the "auto" position. Here is the gray NW I like to have my headlights on when the visibility is not good (raining, misting, foggy) and it is hard to tell if my headlamps are on. I usually turn them on "manually" just to be sure, but would be nice to know without doing that. On other cars, you could usually tell if the headlamps were on by the dash lights changing to a dimmer setting when they were on, but not so with the FFH. The NAV sometimes changes brightness, but not sure if the headlamps or "on" or "off".

For altitude, hit the "I" button in the middle for Info. The top left screen button on that menu is "where you are". After pushing that, you will find the altitude roughly in the middle of the screen. It is so small you have to really look hard, maybe you shouldn't be driving while trying to see it.

I wear Oakley half jackets and they fit in the holder.

So do the Flak Jackets...but my garage door opener occupies it since I don't have home link like on my truck.

I can always tell when my lights are on because my dash dims way down. Sometimes if I am in a "grey zone" of weather the lights will go off/on 3 or 4 times during my commute.

Jon

Your dash lights should also dim if you are going underneath an overpass during daylight; this is due to the low light received during that traversal.

Wasn't looking for it while I was driving.

Finally figured it out...the altitude is not on J1 FFH cars (see Navigation System Supplement 1st printing). My FFH is was built APR 2010 so it does not have the altitude on it. The J2 cars do have it (see Navigation System Supplement 2nd printing) on the NAV "Where am I" page.

The altitude can be found on J1 cars by pressing and holding "3" & "6" radio buttons for the diagnostic info, then press GPS Info. Altitude is shown there. And, by the way, you can't be driving the car (moving) when getting the info this way.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :drop:

I've been wondering how to access the diagnostics for various bits of information - even posted a request some time ago. There are several parameters of minor interest, but the GPS monitor is cool. :happy feet:

Your dash lights should also dim if you are going underneath an overpass during daylight; this is due to the low light received during that traversal.

Won't activate that fast.

Won't activate that fast.

If you get stopped at the light underneath it, they do...(I think that's what he was referring to)

If you get stopped at the light underneath it, they do...(I think that's what he was referring to)

You're right.

Your dash lights don't dim because of the low light - your headlights turn on because of the low light and your dash dims when the headlights go on. The point is that when the dash dims your lights are on, which is how I know the lights are on. Interestingly enough if the lights go on because of the wipers then the dash lights don't dim - that is unless the headlights were on already for another reason. Isn't this fun?

Jon

You're right.

Well I don't own a Fusion, still debating, but I wanted to comment about a useless feature I have on my Camry. Reclining rear seats. Wow, what a waste.

First, I'm never in the back seat.

Second I seldom have anybody in the back seat.

Third, if I do, I'm not going to bother trying to explain to them how it works.

Fourth, it reclines less than a coach seat on United Airlines. It would be generous to say it moves 3 inches.

Fifth, and worst of all, having the reclining back seats means that they don't fold down to increase cargo space.

So not only are they worthless, they are actually a negative.

One thing that I find annoying on the FFH is the pause before the last wiper swipe when you are washing the windshield.