Sign in to follow this  
Zacher

Snow is here

Well here in Saskatchewan we finally got our first snowfall (that's going to stay). Three weeks ago I exchanged my all season Michelin's for 4 16inch Nokian Hakkapeliitta R Winter tires in preparation for the winter. Anyways its amazing some of the questions I've been getting:

How does it drive in the snow, does it act like a normal car.

Am I surprised at this question? No I'm not, it has all the safety features of any regular car these days and in some cases more. (ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control). It runs great like any other front wheel drive in the snow. I will personally say I was surprised to see the Traction Control work while in EV Mode. Good work Ford!

What are batts like in severe cold:

That I'm waiting to see. Here in Saskatchewan it can literally (no BS here) be -10C one day and -35C the next day. Will the batteries loose holding power? We'll have to wait and see.

How well does the car start in the cold?

Starts just as good as any other car I've owned. Ordered with Block Heater so it can be plugged in once cold enough.

Anyways I encourage you to update your feedback on winter driving. Since the cold weather my AVG Gas consumption has increased from 6.3L/100KM to 7.5L/100KM.

PS.. When will Ford come out w/ moulded splash guards for 2010 Fusion :(

Anyways I encourage you to update your feedback on winter driving. Since the cold weather my AVG Gas consumption has increased from 6.3L/100KM to 7.5L/100KM.

Zacher,

Thanks for your feedback. We haven't seen any snow-shovel worthy snow and may not this year as has been the case for Knoxville, Tennessee for the last 10 winters. However since the solar flare activity remains around zero still, we may get some this year.

My conversion gives 37.4 and 31.4 mpg for your two data points. That seems pretty good to me since my mpg seems to drop just with steady rain.

mpg=1/(L/100km)*253.47

Well here in Saskatchewan we finally got our first snowfall (that's going to stay). Three weeks ago I exchanged my all season Michelin's for 4 16inch Nokian Hakkapeliitta R Winter tires in preparation for the winter.

Is anyone else planning on changing their tires if it snows? Curious to know which ones people will use? I'm in Kentucky and we normally just go to the gas guzzling trail blazer when it snows. But might need both vehicles this year.

My conversion gives 37.4 and 31.4 mpg for your two data points. That seems pretty good to me since my mpg seems to drop just with steady rain.

mpg=1/(L/100km)*253.47

Hey VonoreTn,

Your conversion is correct if using US Gallons. Here in Canada we use Imp Gallons which is why in Canada the 2010 Fusion Hybrid is rated 61mpg City and 51mpg Highway.

1 l/100km = 282.481053 miles per Imperial gallon

Imperial Conversion = 44.8 and 38.2mpg

Cold weather the last few weeks has been avg -5C (23F), which is above normal for end of November.

Zacher,

Thanks for your feedback. We haven't seen any snow-shovel worthy snow and may not this year as has been the case for Knoxville, Tennessee for the last 10 winters. However since the solar flare activity remains around zero still, we may get some this year.

mpg=1/(L/100km)*253.47

During El-nino years, storms during the winter tend to track far through the south in a relatively straight line from southern california across the gulf coast states. It is likely going to be a colder than average winter, but the track of the storms this winter will dictate precipitation. You may very well be far enough south to get some of that, although I would be worried about the possibility of getting a lot of ice.

I am kind of hoping for a lot of snow, but the farmers almanac I believe is predicting that things will be drier than usual this winter. This of course being because of the typical storm track of an El-nino year winter.

During El-nino years, storms during the winter tend to track far through the south in a relatively straight line from southern California across the gulf coast states. It is likely going to be a colder than average winter, but the track of the storms this winter will dictate precipitation. You may very well be far enough south to get some of that, although I would be worried about the possibility of getting a lot of ice.

I am kind of hoping for a lot of snow, but the farmers almanac I believe is predicting that things will be drier than usual this winter. This of course being because of the typical storm track of an El-nino year winter.

I thought there must be more going on than sunspots, thank for the climatology insights. Cincinnati? I was born there and got my engineering degree there, 1962-67 at UC. I love the town with it's magnificent parks with great views. But those hills were treacherous for driving in the winter, and we had a lot of snow back then. How about those Bearcats this year? :beerchug:

Nice to see a fellow Bearcat here. I got my BA at UC in Economics. I am currently back in school and working on my masters at Miami University in Oxford. Because I live in Cincinnati, I make 92-94mile round trip commute to school and back 3 days a week(down from 5 days a week). I recently quit my job, but I was literally driving 130-150 miles per day.

To be honest, Cincinnati is very quickly turning into the next Detroit. You are right that these hills are treacherous, but they are more so because of the asshats who drive and don't know their limitations. What you will see in Cincinnati now is that a good part of the city is a frickin dump with high crime rates, massive urban decay, piss poor school systems, roads that often look like offroad trails, and so on. I find it amazing that the morons in charge can't seem to understand why people don't want to live in this city. Noone wants to be in a city that is quickly becoming the next Detroit.

That isn't to say that there is some nice stuff going on in the city with your nice neighborhoods and culture, but the trend isn't positive.

As far as sunspots go, there is indeed significant correlation with solar activity and how it affects climate. However, I just don't think we really know enough yet of what goes on to create the changes in the weather. Everyone seems to think they know with certainty, but there are literally hundreds of variables that affect climate, and it is likely impossible to determine the various effects of each variable since filtering out the effects of the other variables is virtually impossible. We especially see some interesting correlation with regards to sunspot activity and the various shifts in climate such as during the Medieval warm period and the following little ice age.

I thought there must be more going on than sunspots, thank for the climatology insights. Cincinnati? I was born there and got my engineering degree there, 1962-67 at UC. I love the town with it's magnificent parks with great views. But those hills were treacherous for driving in the winter, and we had a lot of snow back then. How about those Bearcats this year? :beerchug:

In case you wanted to know, sunspots are monitored here:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

The nit I have to pick with cold weather and the Fusion is cabin air recirculate on the climate control will turn itself off after a certain interval. When it is on, the cabin warms up pretty quick. It also has to be manually turned on each time I start the car. I guess they want me to have fresh air but really, the car computer knows how many people are sitting in the seats and I think that recirculate is cycling based on four people in the cabin. Just 2 cents worth...

In case you wanted to know, sunspots are monitored here:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

The nit I have to pick with cold weather and the Fusion is cabin air recirculate on the climate control will turn itself off after a certain interval. When it is on, the cabin warms up pretty quick. It also has to be manually turned on each time I start the car. I guess they want me to have fresh air but really, the car computer knows how many people are sitting in the seats and I think that recirculate is cycling based on four people in the cabin. Just 2 cents worth...

I have noticed that too and would suspect that they are trying to keep interior windshield/window fogging to a minimum with this strategy. What we have to remember is that the air outside is going to be very cold, and thus your windows and windscreen are getting pounded with cold temperatures as you continue to drive. What happens is that as you heat your interior, the warmer air inside your vehicle has no more moisture when it comes into the car and is warmed by the heater core. The air has extremely low relative humidity and can take on a TON of moisture at the expense of the passengers who are exhaling and evaporating from themselves into the cabin air. If you continue to recirculate the air, the relative humidity of the air inside will continue to increase and as it hits the cold windscreen and windows, it will fog them up as it will condensate since the temperature of the windscreen/windows will be well below what the dewpoint of the increasingly moist cabin air is becoming.

I just did some winter driving here in British Columbia with the factory Michelin's that come with the car. Did a road trip through a mountain pass It handled decently and the traction control never came on. I don't think I'm going to do it again any time soon however though as I already got a chip in my windshield (less than 2 months old!!!!).

I'm glad to see this thread, as I had a situation a couple of days ago that I wondered whether it was a figment of my imagination or real. We all know that when we apply the brakes, the system begins regen. I'm assuming that the rear brakes have not yet been applied, at least under light braking. Well, we had some serious glare ice. I put the brakes on lightly to avoid lockup, and the system kicked in regen. I quickly lost traction on the front wheels and started sliding toward the curb. I released the brakes and moved toward the center of the relatively high crowned road. Again, applying the brakes lightly locked up the fronts! I finally got back up in the middle and CRAMED THEM ON as I was almost out of options (aside from hitting a stopped van in the rear). The ABS kicked in and the tires gripped some less compacted snow, stopping me with moderate drama. Having wrecked a car on ice last spring, I was pretty shaken for quite a while afterwards!!

So the question is, does the regen braking cause the front wheels to tend to lock under less braking since they're apparently doing ALL the work?

Bob

Most cars are tuned to have more braking power applied to the front brakes, and this may be more pronounced with the regen braking. Any time the ABS kicks in on the fronts though the system is supposed to be using the rears as well. The rears may be "more slippery" in bad weather because they don't see the same heating and cleaning you might otherwise get.

Jon

I'm glad to see this thread, as I had a situation a couple of days ago that I wondered whether it was a figment of my imagination or real. We all know that when we apply the brakes, the system begins regen. I'm assuming that the rear brakes have not yet been applied, at least under light braking. Well, we had some serious glare ice. I put the brakes on lightly to avoid lockup, and the system kicked in regen. I quickly lost traction on the front wheels and started sliding toward the curb. I released the brakes and moved toward the center of the relatively high crowned road. Again, applying the brakes lightly locked up the fronts! I finally got back up in the middle and CRAMED THEM ON as I was almost out of options (aside from hitting a stopped van in the rear). The ABS kicked in and the tires gripped some less compacted snow, stopping me with moderate drama. Having wrecked a car on ice last spring, I was pretty shaken for quite a while afterwards!!

So the question is, does the regen braking cause the front wheels to tend to lock under less braking since they're apparently doing ALL the work?

Bob

Is anyone else planning on changing their tires if it snows? Curious to know which ones people will use? I'm in Kentucky and we normally just go to the gas guzzling trail blazer when it snows. But might need both vehicles this year.

I just ordered 205/60R-16 Continental ExtremeWinterContact XL tires on 16x7.5 Elbrus I04 BDC ICE rims mounted and Hunter balanced with TPMS from Tire Rack for $1065 shipped. They are in transit. I live in Denver and we are having a winter, I am getting sick of driving my 4Runner all the time. The stock Michelin are next to worthless on anything frozen. Tire Rack recommended the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 but I wanted a more aggressive tire. The website warned me about a harsh ride with the Continentals due to them being overrated for the application. They weigh 2 pounds more than the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3s and are rated for a max load of 1565 lbs as opposed to 1389 lbs for the Michelins.

12/16 update:

Got them and have about a 1/2 tank of driving, milage is 38.5 and the ride is not noticeably harsh. TPMS relearn was not even required.

13341_1183609229551_1207843749_30441844_5924727_n.jpg

13341_1183609309553_1207843749_30441846_6534844_n.jpg

Edited by black70bird

Just last week we got about a foot of snow ( didn't get cleared for 2 days :S ) here in Edmonton, AB and I'm SOO surprised of how this car handles in the snow.

The stock tires are just fine for me and how / where I have to drive.

Just drove to Jasper on the weekend and this car was pushing through the snow like a champ.

Normal I would get 6L / 100km but using traction control and ABS all the time while pushing through the snow it was tipping the scale of 8L / 100 km

BUT I'm not complaining cause my other vehicle is that god dam Roush F-150 pushing close to 20L / 100 km hahah

Just last week we got about a foot of snow ( didn't get cleared for 2 days :S ) here in Edmonton, AB and I'm SOO surprised of how this car handles in the snow.

The stock tires are just fine for me and how / where I have to drive.

Just drove to Jasper on the weekend and this car was pushing through the snow like a champ.

Normal I would get 6L / 100km but using traction control and ABS all the time while pushing through the snow it was tipping the scale of 8L / 100 km

BUT I'm not complaining cause my other vehicle is that god dam Roush F-150 pushing close to 20L / 100 km hahah

I love that Roush F150. If money wasn't a concern for me to the point that I didn't care about fuel economy, I wouldn't mind that new Ford SVT Raptor with the optional 6.2litre V8. I bet that thing would be a monster in snow.

Some observations now that the cold is here <10F

I can let the ICE warm up. It modulates in idle sound, charging goes on and off, then a switch.

I set cabin temp to 60F. This appears to turn the heat off, ICE comes to temperature rapidly.

External temperature reading is updated continuously. Seems different than in the Summer.

So, I wear a parka, gloves, hat when I get in in the morning. The commute is only 5 miles.

60F appears to turn the heat off and the ICE warms up about 1/4 into the trip. Once the temp.

gauge hits mid-point I can turn up to 65 and there is lots of hot air, and it doesn't seem to

affect engine temp or EV mode.

This morning it was about 12F when I pulled into work parking lot. Parking in the sun with the

sunroof shade open. External temp reading was 12F. After work, in the dark, I fire her up and

external temp reads 26F; I don't think anyone took her out for a joy ride. 26F never budged.

The outside temp was 26F.

Some observations now that the cold is here <10F

I can let the ICE warm up. It modulates in idle sound, charging goes on and off, then a switch.

I set cabin temp to 60F. This appears to turn the heat off, ICE comes to temperature rapidly.

External temperature reading is updated continuously. Seems different than in the Summer.

So, I wear a parka, gloves, hat when I get in in the morning. The commute is only 5 miles.

60F appears to turn the heat off and the ICE warms up about 1/4 into the trip. Once the temp.

gauge hits mid-point I can turn up to 65 and there is lots of hot air, and it doesn't seem to

affect engine temp or EV mode.

This morning it was about 12F when I pulled into work parking lot. Parking in the sun with the

sunroof shade open. External temp reading was 12F. After work, in the dark, I fire her up and

external temp reads 26F; I don't think anyone took her out for a joy ride. 26F never budged.

The outside temp was 26F.

Huge Snowstorm here in VA, unfortunately I will not be taking my FFH out to test out how it handles in the snow. :)

Huge Snowstorm here in VA, unfortunately I will not be taking my FFH out to test out how it handles in the snow. :)

We took it out last night to look at lights. Our daughter has never experienced Christmas lights with snow. Things were steady with mileage until we slowed too much to keep the ICE temp up. Ended up dropping from 39 to 31. Have to say the car handled well with the OEM tires. No traction issues even going up hills in some of the neighborhoods we visited. The lug of the Atkinson seemd to reduse any issues and when we used the traction motor in EV it was just as effective.

I would like to try better tires some time.......but more down the road.......can't justify spending another grand on tires to use in a rare event like this. Have a feeling we're gonna see more snow than normal this year but still not enough to warrant the outlay of cash.

I live in the DC Metro area and we just got hit by a moderate winter storm (a blizzard by the local standards) over the weekend. I just wanted to say that the FFH is an amazing vehicle in the snow. We had about 22 Inches over a 24 hour period and I was driving during the peak of the storm. There was about 3-6 inches of snow on the road at any given point and about 7-10 inches at intersections where the plows made mounds. While other cars…especially Hondas, small Toyotas, and all the RWD luxury branded vehicles were getting stuck at stoplights my FFH pulled right through without issue. The stability control works flawlessly when one side of the car hits deeper snow/slush. I doubted the all season tires that are stock as I am used to driving in central NY where snow tires are a necessity but they had ample grip. My only complaint was that my mileage for any trip that I took in the snow was in the mid 30’s instead of my usual mid 40’s range.

Greetings all,

Living in northern Michigan I felt the need for some dedicated snow's. I got the Michelin X-Ice 2's mounted on the OEM rims (I paid a little extra to get lifetime remounting). They ride a little better than OEM, but sometimes sound a little different too. Mileage has dropped about 3 MPG (probably due to cold, snow, slush, rain, new tires). Thus far no problem with any road condition. Traction control and ABS are great safety/control systems!

Merry Christmas to All!

In Southern New Hampshire we've had one serious storm so far, and I have to admit I had been a little worried about the FFH's performance in winter. My house sits on the slope of hill that I have to climb for a couple miles and cross over before heading down for another mile. Right in front of our house is the steepest decline - in a curve - and every winter there's at least one accident, mostly kids, hitting the snow banks, or worse.

The Ford (with snows) did well, I didn't feel unsafe for a second. It also helps, I assume, when you drive carefully.

And: happy holidays to ya all.

Edited by flavius