DodgerFan

Wiper bounce?

Anybody with a FFH (or 2010 Fusion) having issue with the wipers bouncing, and not gliding smoothly in rain? I checked the blades and they seem pliable, although they seem to bend better in one direction than the other. The bounce is much more intense in one direction, and got pretty violent in the last big rain storm.

I did put Rain-X on the windows right after I got the car home. I wonder if it is doing something? I have always used Rain-X as it seemed to help things on my old Accord.

Only had the car for a few days, but love it so far!

Anybody with a FFH (or 2010 Fusion) having issue with the wipers bouncing, and not gliding smoothly in rain? I checked the blades and they seem pliable, although they seem to bend better in one direction than the other. The bounce is much more intense in one direction, and got pretty violent in the last big rain storm.

I did put Rain-X on the windows right after I got the car home. I wonder if it is doing something? I have always used Rain-X as it seemed to help things on my old Accord.

Only had the car for a few days, but love it so far!

It's the Rain-X. My wipers were working perfectly until I put Rain-X on. It's worn off a bit now, so it's stopped bouncing. Thus I will only use Rain-X on the rear window only.

Yup, definitely the Rain-X, or at least that has been my experience with past vehicles. Go to an auto-parts store, Wal-Mart, etc., and purchase Stoner's Invisible Glass. This stuff is great in keeping oils, waxes, and other mess off the glass. Cleans the glass wonderfully.

Speaking of wipers, had anybody swapped to another brand? I have used similar to these on a past

car and love them. Stoners is a great product and that also make a spray product with rain repellent

in it - which I also have used, just not on the FFH yet. Very easy to use.

These are the top rated from consumer reports

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-900-24-1B-Ulti...;qid=1249401750

Stoners - excellent product

http://www.properautocare.com/stinglwirare.html

Front wipers on the FFH are 24"/19"

Yup, definitely the Rain-X, or at least that has been my experience with past vehicles. Go to an auto-parts store, Wal-Mart, etc., and purchase Stoner's Invisible Glass. This stuff is great in keeping oils, waxes, and other mess off the glass. Cleans the glass wonderfully.

Thanks for all the input. Any ideas on how to remove the Rain-X?

Very hard to do, you basically have to let it wear off. Rubbing alcohol helps alot.

But something like lighter fluid (naptha) will break the bond to the windshield. Use

very sparingly when you apply. Goof off, something similar. Test a small area in

the corner. Wash it good when done, may have to do it several times.

Use at your on discretion! I am not sure this will not etch or haze you window (I

highly doubt it) - but will damage your paint if not careful.

Whatever you do, don't use anything every a little abrasive.

I've put that type stuff on several times and it's great when it rains, but the rest of the

time, I regret it.

http://www.goof-off.com/ -- great stuff

As mentioned in my message, use Stoner's Invisible Glass.

Rain-X doesn't last very long on windshields (at most about three months even if it doesn't rain) so don't worry about trying to get it off as it will wear itself off fast enough.

Interestingly, I was having trouble with the wipers "bouncing" when using them with the windshield washers so I put on Rain-X to stop it from doing that and it worked. Go figure.

I have used Rain-X for about ten years now and have never had that problem. The other glass products mentioned in this post sound intriguing though so I plan to try them.

I changed mine the day after getting the car to Trico Neoform Beam Blades. I had this type OEM wiper blades on previous two cars and they wiped great. So far it hasn't rained to give them a try, but they worked fine using the windshield washer.

I've noticed that mine will bounce if there's not enough water on the windshield...like running them on too high a setting when it's sprinkling. I put rain-x on the windshield, and hardly use them now. I also use the invisible glass...good stuff

I changed mine the day after getting the car to Trico Neoform Beam Blades. I had this type OEM wiper blades on previous two cars and they wiped great. So far it hasn't rained to give them a try, but they worked fine using the windshield washer.

It rained "cats and dogs" yesterday and the new blades wiped fine with no bouncing or skipping.

Well, in my case at least, it is pretty clear the problem was due to the RainX. The wipers are functioning just fine now. Guess I will check out the invisible glass product. Thanks for all the input.

Well, in my case at least, it is pretty clear the problem was due to the RainX. The wipers are functioning just fine now. Guess I will check out the invisible glass product. Thanks for all the input.

I always wondered if the Rain-X type products do more damage to the wipers than they do

to the windshield. Anybody else try any other wipers blade types? I think good blades

are much more benefit than the window treatments (on the front anyway) - the other windows

it's a big help, otherwise you just get "smear" in light rain.

I am about to buy these:

http://www.valeowipersusa.com/index.asp?pgid=19

I like the blades that have a plastic cap over the hook like Valeo and Bosch Icon (any others?)

The Rain-X blades work great, but fit poorly and look terrible. Consumer Reports had a test/review

of many and Rain-X got the top honor. I have used them on a past car, but won't on the FFH.

Amazon sells most of the major blades at a good price.

The 2010 FFH wiper sizes are 24" driver and 19" passenger.

I always wondered if the Rain-X type products do more damage to the wipers than they do

to the windshield. Anybody else try any other wipers blade types? I think good blades

are much more benefit than the window treatments (on the front anyway) - the other windows

I am about to buy these:

I like the blades that have a plastic cap over the hook like Valeo and Bosch Icon (any others?)

The Rain-X blades work great, but fit poorly and look terrible. Consumer Reports had a test/review

of many and Rain-X got the top honor. I have used them on a past car, but won't on the FFH.

I've used Rain X on my motorhome since new 8 years ago as it is a big help to those massive pieces of glass on a class A motorhome. Last spring, year 7 I replaced the blades so I see where the Rain X did no harm and the Rain X was more help than the $15 per blade I had to pay for new ones. As a matter of fact my replacement blades from Wally World are Rain X Blades.

Had the same problem with bounce.I spoke with a auto detailer I trust. Asked him if I could use body clay along with soapy water. Said sure.

Use a clean piece of the clay. It took all the grime, rain x, bugs etc. worked great

Interesting! I've used Rain-X for over 20 years on everything from Corvettes to my Suburban and have never experienced wiper bounce. I'm not saying it can't happen or that Rain-X can't be the cause of it, just that I've never seen it. I put Rain-X on my FFH in three coats the minute I got it home. I've got 1200 miles on it so far and have yet to use the wipers at all. I have almost 100,000 miles on my Suburban and have yet to replace the wipers, mainly because I have just about no need for them. If I do use them and get wiper bounce, I'll try backing off on the wiper speed. I can see where the Rain-X might allow for faster wiper speeds, but if that is the case I can just back the speed down. If I run into problems with Rain-X, I will announce it here, but, for now, I'm still a Rain-X fan.

I am about to buy these:

The 24 and 19" blades are the same ones on the 06 Fusions. I use the Rain-X Latitudes to knock the snow off, and use Rain-X on my windshield religiously. Mine don't skip or chatter except with factory blades.

I've noticed that mine will bounce if there's not enough water on the windshield...like running them on too high a setting when it's sprinkling. I put rain-x on the windshield, and hardly use them now. I also use the invisible glass...good stuff

My factory blade bounces too on the return stroke (sometimes) on the passenger side only. It is also due to not enough water on the windshield. I don't use Rain-X on it because I seem to remember it would leave very small beaded water droplets (almost like a haze) after the wipers stroke. Very difficult to see through at night with on-coming headlights.

I use Rain-X on the other windows though.

I'm putting my vote in for being a rain-x guy. I'm not religious about it (too lazy I guess - I generally wish I used it more often than I do). With rain-x one, I use the wipers at intermittent speed at best until it's really starting to come down.

One thing to try that almost always helps with wiper issues is to wipe the blades with a cotton ball (or something) and rubbing alcohol. Cleaning the dirt/grease/rain-x(?) off the blades always seems to help.

Let me (us) know if it helps you.

Passenger side bounces on the return stroke. These are the factory blades. This is very annoying. If I do a very careful cleaning of the windshield with Windex the bounce will go away for about 1 week.

I have to wonder whether the bounce is in fact the result of "running them on too high a setting when it's sprinkling". If the Rain-X makes the windshield less resistant to the friction of the wiper blade, this could account for the bounce.

I wonder also why someone is using Rain-X and using their wiper blades at a high or even moderate speed. I thought the point of Rain-X usage was to minimize and, for me anyway, eliminate wiper usage. If I ever do use the wipers, it is only for a single swipe and that eliminates any chance of bounce.

If you put on multiple coats of Rain-X, you can pretty much do without your wipers. As for seeing the little spots of rain on the glass, even that is better than the smears you get without Rain-X, and we're supposed to be focusing on the road, not the windshield, anyway. It's like looking outside through a screen door. It's just a matter of focus.

Edited by ace43

My factory blade bounces too on the return stroke (sometimes) on the passenger side only. It is also due to not enough water on the windshield. I don't use Rain-X on it because I seem to remember it would leave very small beaded water droplets (almost like a haze) after the wipers stroke. Very difficult to see through at night with on-coming headlights.

I use Rain-X on the other windows though.

Aggravating downstroke bounce on passenger side for me also. Only if it's a heavy rain does it not bounce. Light rain, mist etc... always bounces. Waiting for a sale on a reasonable pair to replace them both. Got it on my list to complain to dealer about because its done it almost since day 1. Nothing they will likely do but at least it's logged.

I have to wonder whether the bounce is in fact the result of "running them on too high a setting when it's sprinkling". If the Rain-X makes the windshield less resistant to the friction of the wiper blade, this could account for the bounce.

I wonder also why someone is using Rain-X and using their wiper blades at a high or even moderate speed. I thought the point of Rain-X usage was to minimize and, for me anyway, eliminate wiper usage. If I ever do use the wipers, it is only for a single swipe and that eliminates any chance of bounce.

If you put on multiple coats of Rain-X, you can pretty much do without your wipers. As for seeing the little spots of rain on the glass, even that is better than the smears you get without Rain-X, and we're supposed to be focusing on the road, not the windshield, anyway. It's like looking outside through a screen door. It's just a matter of focus.

Yes, the rain-x itself works great on rain and I don't even use the wipers. But when it's done snowing, and beginning to melt, the rain-x does nothing for all the dirt-filled splash-back from the cars in front of you, let alone the crap thrown by the big rigs. And no, you're not going to back off far enough to get out of it as someone else will swoop right in the spot you leave open in Colorado.