hybridbear

Preparing for winter with a comprehensive strategy to improve MPGs including grille blocking & more

I have new grille covers now (Thanks Paul!). They're great and easy to install.

Here's a good chuckle. When I went to clean the grille before installing the covers, I forgot that it was 10*F outside. I wondered why the grille was getting dirtier the more I sprayed Windex on it. The Windex was freezing and building up. D'Oh.

I'll have more to report after I drive with the covers on for a bit.

Does anyone know how to remove the front license plate so that I can install a lower grille cover? I'd obviously put the front plate back on at that point.

As it stands, the front license plate is covering about 50% of the lower grille..

If its cold, the heater is on for me lol.

On another note tho I dont know if ive mentioned this before but the grill will not close itself unless you get upto speed. I think this is a mistake that the grill should stay closed untill we atleast get upto the temp where the heater can be on and the engine off. If not upto full operating temperature on days when the outside temp is below 50*.

On another note tho I dont know if ive mentioned this before but the grill will not close itself unless you get upto speed. I think this is a mistake that the grill should stay closed untill we atleast get upto the temp where the heater can be on and the engine off. If not upto full operating temperature on days when the outside temp is below 50*.

I am not familiar with the grill shutters that automatically close at highway speed (I don't yet own a FFH). But Eddie's comment is interesting - when these shutters are closed do they have the same/equal blocking effect as the grill covers and blocking foam have that forum members are using?

My lower grill is foam blocked, after messing with the first grill cover and those slots, I decided foam is a lot less of a hassle. BTW the SM saw the grill covers and foam and didn't say a word.

Just installed the foam insulation on my ride, Bought 1/2 " pipe insul at Lowes.

Slightly different install. I cut the foam down the middle. Used cut pieces in the grill tucking in the ends.

Left off the top row. Wanted to read more temp. before committing on the temp increase is OK.

If all goes well, I finish it this week.

This was a really good idea.

Kudo's to the brains of this operation.

Was north in Maine for New Years with the minivan. -15 to -22 was recorded each morning.

Got a Mr Coffee box smiling through the grille. It helped the warmups.

My 2012 FFH recently saw an approx. 5 mpg drop with recent cold weather here in Vancouver, WA. I decided to try grill blocking to see if I could improve my cold weather results. I've attached photos of how I did the blocking. Foam pipe insulation from Home Depot was used. I'm definitely seeing quicker times to EV mode from a cold start and getting better interior heating as well. Any ideas on how to monitor the ICE to determine when to take blocking out would be appreciated. For now I'll error on taking it off too soon. But as you can see, it is easy to take off and put back on.

You can cover it completely as long as the temps are below 50*, Take them out when it gets warmer to be safe. If you do a lot of 45+ MPH driving your on ICE all the time, unlike the 13+ models, so cooling is more important for your car than ours. You can get a scan gauge if you want to monitor it, or just keep an eye on the dash gauge. you should be fine when under 50*. I never blocked mine, didn't feel a need to, so cant comment on temp readings. It probably would have helped it get better MPG in the winter had I done so.

That is pretty much how they all work. The heater is in the water jacket, not the oil pan. The one on my F350 was the same. It did work very well! One day I made the mistake of parking it outside on a very cold night, next morning, no starty. Even with good GP, would not start. So plugged it in, threw the charger on the batteries, waited four hours, started right up and the ambient temp was no warmer than it was four hours prior. The goal is to warm the cylinders so it can ignite the fuel easier. Uses less fuel that way too.