hybridbear

Preparing for winter with a comprehensive strategy to improve MPGs including grille blocking & more

HB, please explain how you "foamed the grille."

I'm sure it's explained in other threads, but did you determine that a car getting 45 mpg after 43 fuel-ups was a "lemon???"

You take 1/2" or 3/4" pipe insulation foam, that has a split down the middle and stick it to the grill by spreading the foam and sliding it over each grill rib. It completely blocks the openings. I have a bag at home and plan to do the same to see if I notice any improvement. The ones I made do help but I fell more air is slipping around than should and not allowing for peak heating.

His other car wasn't a lemon, he was just fed up with Job1 poor fit and finish and wanted more options. You know what they say( at least what I say) If you are going to be paying for it, at least get something good to pay for.

The foam is a lot less expensive and easier to use, but can also fall out without you knowing it. I might pull my cover put the foam in and put the cover back on, could be the padding that I am looking for too.

It sounds like using a grille cover is a great idea. Any consensus on covering just the top... or should we cover both top and bottom?

I saw no noticeable difference with both covered, but then it has been so cold lately that even my Flex is having a hard time staying warm. I have both covered now, but the temps have stayed the same as when I just had the top covered.