acdii

This is something new

It's another cool foggy morning, so this time I left the house with Max Defrost on and drove with it on for quite a while. ICE never shut off with it on, even with blower at low speed.

However, not complaining because the battery was fully charged and the instant was hovering around 44 MPG.

Now this leads me to thinking, what if the car could be switched to not use EV over 45 MPH, but not change anything else, just the threshold. If I am seeing a true 44+ MPG on ICE with a full charge, heat and AC on for defrost @ 60 MPH, why need EV at that speed?

IOW this morning the car was acting just like the old 2010 FFH did. Has me wondering.

BTW past week has been a consistent 45 MPG with temps around 45-55*, which is 2 MPG lower then when it is at 70*. So about a 1 MPG for every 10* drop so far. I'll take it. :)

I have seen my 2010 HVAC go to defog/defrost automatically in AUTO. It knew the humidity was high. In the 2013, it was probably running the ICE because the defroster was calling for heat and it may want more in that Max mode. When you have another morning like that, just put it in Auto and see what happens.

Seems like whenever my car is in ICE mode I get 20mpg and on EV 60, so my avg is 41, almost exactly half way.

Is that normal?

Yes

Mine very rarely does the combo of ICE+EV unless it's either first started and the ICE is cold or it needs extra power going up a hill.

What you're experiencing now is what I assumed was normal operation?

I believe what he is seeing is the lack of the blue EV threshold bar in the Empower screen. When cruising and the battery is at or above 50%, it will show up at half what your current KW ICE is if you are running at 2K. As you back off the throttle this blue bar will rise until it equals or passes the ICE and then go to full EV. Sounds like he is no longer seeing this.

Your mpg will drop with colder temps. If the EV mode is cycling on and off, it's normal for the instantaneous MPG to read 20-30 when the ICE is on.

Hybridbear,

When I run on ICE my instant MPG readout never goes above 20. I'll run on ICE up to 45 to 60 or more MPH and the instant MPG readout barely creeps above 20. It's not operating efficiently. I do get more pure EV time which compensates somewhat for the poor ICE MPG. The key indicator to me that something's amiss is that between April when I got the car, and early September (a few weeks after the "recalibration" software update) I regularly saw combined ICE/EV operations with instant MPG readouts in the upper 30s and 40s. Which yielded some high individual MPG trips---59, for example. And in the low 40s or even 50s on very short hops to the grocery store. But now, since mid September, those trips give me 19 MPG or low 20s. The instant MPG readouts are at either in the 20 range in ICE or 60+ in EV. Nothing in-between.

Stay out of EV until your pack is above 80% and see if the instant goes up to 40. At this point the car will use both EV and ICE to cruise. It sounds like your battery is out of condition, and a full recharge might help. you can also let the ICE run in park with the heater on until the SOC reaches 80%. When it does, you might want to consider doing a hard reset by disconnecting both the HVB and LVB.