hybridbear

Software Updates from Ford to improve MPGs

Is the traction battery being used more (among other things) ?

I just took my Fusion Hybrid in for its first 10K service and was informed of this PCM update. While waiting for the service to be completed, I googled for information about it and found this thread.

Three days a week I have a roundtrip commute of around 100mi. I've been setting my cruise control to 63mph as this was the maximum speed my car was willing to drive in EV mode. I'm very excited about being able to drive in EV mode at the speed limit. It is something I have been wishing for since I bought my Fusion. I'm also excited about the other tweaks this update includes.

Being able to drive at full highway speeds in EV mode is something that will make my Prius owning friends very jealous.

For the past 2,000 miles I've been averaging 50.4mpg. I can't wait to find out how much my fuel economy improves with these changes. Now if they'd just fix it so that I could actually put at least 11.5 gallons of gas in my 12.5 gallon tank because right now I only seem to have 10.5 gallons of usable tank. I'm dreaming of being able to get a 600 mile range on a tank of gas.

I'll be sure to report back how this software update improved things.

For those that have gotten the update, how long did the update take? Or perhaps more relevantly, how long was your car in service for?

At this moment, I'm at home waiting for the dealer to call me that my car is ready, but the dealer said the software update itself takes about 40 minutes.

Took 45 minutes for my update. No real changes noticed. It's 90 degrees, so the shutters are open. It did kick in EV mode at 72mph on a downhill stretch of highway on the way home. Taking a road trip tomorrow, will report my fuel mileage when I return. For the record, my car averages 38.3mpg.

My update shows due in ETIS but not on the Ford Canada site - was watching while the service tech brought up my VIN. I suspect that owners are notified in stages, as opposed to a mass emailing.

62 to 85mph??? really?? hard to believe..

The manual says that the cutoff for the EV mode on the Energi is 85 mpg so it's not unprecedented. Of course, the Energi also has a much larger battery than ours so perhaps it wouldn't make sense to push that speed increase onto the FFH.