Fynack

2013 Ford Fusion MPG Challenge

Not just driving styles, but where driven seems to matter most with this car. Short trips, under 10 miles, equates to poor MPG. The more city driving and fewer highway miles seems to be returning the highest miles. I know mine does very well when driven under 45, and can get regen in, but on the open road, not so good at all.

And as I type this an Avalon commercial plays......

You know, I am beginning to wonder if driving this like any other Hybrid is not how to drive it. Today driving above 60 MPH with a nearly full pack and staying out of EV I got my best MPG ever. I hit 44 MPG on the dash, and 41 on the SG over my 26 mile trip to the inlaws to pick up the kids. Not ruling out that something is still not right with the car, but its like night and day difference.

Thats how I drive my 2010 and always got good MPG. Driving the new one like that didnt return the same results. Now that I tried it at over 60 MPH, I can drive it like the 2010. I basically get it up to 55 MPH and just feather the gas to keep it at the speed, letting it speed up and slow down on the hills without adding or releasing pressure on the pedal. At 55 on the 13, I cant do that, but at 61+ I can. Tomorrow big snow storm so I know the MPG will suck and not even going to try to do well, but once the roads clear up and I can hold a steady speed I will confirm tonights results weren't a fluke.

Thanks, I picked it up at Autozone, cost $172 with tax. You might find it cheaper online, but have to figure in shipping too. I think its about $159. I have heard of them on sale for about $99 but I miss those every time. Prius owners swear by them and I found it very handy so far.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

The covers are helping with the temperature control, which is also helping with the fuel economy, as for aerodynamics, not ruling that out either. All I know is that as long as I keep it from using EV, the engine isn't working as hard and returning better fuel economy now.

However, its a band aid approach, and doesn't resolve the underlying issue, because this further enhances my claim that there is something not quite right. When Summer rolls around, and I have to take them off, we shall see if it resumes what it did in FL, or if it will actually start returning numbers the rest of you guys(and gals) see.