jeff_h

Oil Change Info for 2013+ Hybrid/Energi

Interesting I too changed oil at those intervals. I still have a couple bottles in a shelf, I should send a sample in for both cars and compare them.

Is anyone changing their oil based on engine hours? I was thinking of monitoring the trip display time and changing my oil at 200 hours or the recommended mileage and time, whichever comes first.

From what I have seen so far by watching the temperature gauge, the engine seems to cool down quickly in the winter when the heater is on and the system going into ev mode.

And from past experience, cold engines build up more contaminants and sludge than engines that stay hot. That's my reason to also monitor hours, along with mileage and time.

cold engines build up more contaminants and sludge than engines that stay hot.

Thats a very good point, something I never considered, and I have been working with engines since I was 16 ripping apart my first engine, a Chevy 292 straight 6 and rebuilding it, while it was still in the truck. I never had to worry about it in the the 2010 since it ran most of the time while I drove, but this one doesn't run as much(though lately with -26 like this morning, it doesnt shut off until I reach CL). Have to check it every so often now to see if it is building condensate inside. Checking the oil cap is a good indicator if sludge will build up, any moisture on the cap and you can bet there will be sludge at some point.

The latest documents seem to be the:

2013 OM 3rd printing that is dated Feb 2013. 5W-20

2014 OM 2nd printing that is dated Nov 2013. 0W-20

The 2014 engine oil cap says 5W-20 but was built at least prior to Nov 2013 (the build date of my vehicle).

The Ford Oil Chart is dated Dec 2013 and suggests 0W-20

I'm thinking Ford is suggesting for us to use 0W-20, unless the oil chart is in error. I sure would like a concrete answer from Ford or another rev of the OM that states 0W-20. Is there anyone from Ford on this site that can clarify this? Or is there a TSB or the like that could clarify this?

To be honest, if Ford wants us to use 0W-20 then I'd like the engine oil cap to say 0W-20. That would only make sense.

scn101,

The info you posted from the owner's manuals is correct. I sent you a PM about your oil cap.

Ashley

Which owner's manual is correct. There are two posted.

hermans,

This info is correct:

The latest documents seem to be the:

2013 OM 3rd printing that is dated Feb 2013. 5W-20

2014 OM 2nd printing that is dated Nov 2013. 0W-20

Ashley

My 2014 vehicle was built December 2, 2013 and in checking the manual it states 5W-20.

So do I follow the manual with 5W-20 or do I follow the 2014 specs of 0W-20? ;(

I wouldnt worry over it. The engine will run perfectly fine on 5w20, and wear just the same as with 0w20. Only thing that "could" be affected is fuel economy, but it would be so minor that you probably wouldn't notice.