jeff_h

Oil Change Info for 2013+ Hybrid/Energi

If the oil came out clear I would be worried, as it isnt trapping and containing the carbon byproducts of combustion. Keep in mind too, these engines aren't driven nearly as hard as regular car engines that rev up to 4000+ during shifts, but at a constant speed and load condition, add in the part about EV, so the oil will actually last longer. Oil color has nothing to do with its ability to lube and protect the engine. The only way to know 100% is with an oil sample analysis. Since I have been dealing with cars for over 30 years, and ran all different engines and oils, had analysis done on several, I have a pretty good feel for when oil must be changed, and on these Hybrids, 10K is at the low end. You could easily go 15K on these with Semi-Synthetic oil, or longer with full Syn, which gives me that cushion I need between changes.

Changing before 10K is purely up to you, but not really needed. Oil lasts a LOT longer these days.

Absolutely! Since I put 30K on a year between 2 cars, its easy for me to rack up 15K in no time, but for those who dont put as many miles on, especially those who do short trips and dont heat up the ICE enough to dry it out in cool damp weather, changing it more frequently is ideal. Not only do short trips accumulate moisture, over time acid builds up in the oil and that is bad for bearings.

Just to clarify, 15K on a Full synthetic, like Mobil 1 or Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. I would not do that on the Semi Synthetics. I would also do an oil analysis at 8K miles, to see if the oil can sustain another 7K. It's what I did in my F350 Diesel, but then again, an oil change in that cost 4 times what one in the car does. This is only for those of us who do put a lot of miles on and don't really have the time to drop a car off every other month for an oil change. If you do run the regular Semi Syn, 10k is the max I would go between changes. Thats about 4 months for me.

I changed a couple things in the first post. Hope you don't mind Jeff! I added a note about 0W-20 oil and about the plastic clips that have to be loosened before you can take the aerodynamic cover off.

Meddler! That's why I titled the thread Oil Change Info for '2013' Hybrid as I figured small changes could occur from year to year...such as the 0W20 vs 5W20 thing, as I think the 2013 specs were 5W20 from the start and stayed there (except watch that bubble up again).... as for the plastic clips, I busted one of those with screwdriver right off the bat and it popped out, and I was trying to be more cautious than I bet most of the guys at the dealer or Jiffy Lube would be - so for those that get someone else to change their oil I wouldn't be surprised it those are gone.

I changed the oil once in my F150. Never again. Let the dealer futz with all those panels.

If I did my own changes it would be Mobil 1. I considered Royal Purple for the Ecoboost, but heard that it isn't as good as M1 for longevity.

I just did 11K. :) I should have done an analysis.

and it was still driving just fine. ;)

And now that I have had it serviced that thump I showed you is gone. Was the rear rotors.