AptosDriver

FFH deal benchmark?

Your FFH purchase -- a good deal?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think you got a good deal on your FFH?

• Yes, I got a good deal.
    • I could have done better.
  2. 2. How much did you pay over invoice?

• $100
    • $250
    • $500
    • $1,000
    • Don't ask!

I don't know... I think people see the word "profit" as a four-letter word these days. Everybody needs to make money.

No one needs anything other than food water and shelter. Beyond that it's want and I'd say most of us here are chronologically old enough where our needs and wants shouldn't hurt us. Especially since most of us grew up at a time when 5-15% was considered a great profit margin.

was taught in business that if you take care of your product and your people the profits will follow. The trouble is today we have so many companies doing things in the name of profit....more profits, create profits, drive sales and increase profits, you're fired because of profits, we are eliminating positions to shore up out bottom line (aka Profits) etc, etc, etc, etc, etc........! I went to buy a can of mushrooms for dinner the other day and found that a little 7oz can of Pennsylvania Dutch Mushrooms had to come all the way from China to Colonial Height Virginia and all in the name of profits. Trouble that wasn't the only thing I found. Made me sick! Sheesh!!!!! It's gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme. Makes everyone sound more like a 3 year old and that's all I get out of the scenario.

Because of this it's difficult at best for many to view profits as anything other than a four letter word especially when profits instead of product and people are the driving force. I and so very many of my friends have no opposition to a company or individual making a profit.....it's when you make profits the "one and only important thing" is where we have a problem. Some will argue the point and say that a business is only there for profits and at one time I would agree. Yet I have become a grown up in the last 30 years and come to the conclusion and understanding that profits are only one aspect of the equation. A business is there to provide a product and or service for the fair exchange of monies or property in return for that product or service. Note the word fair. Just because a few...meaning the upper 2% of everybody......feells that a 30-80% profit margin is fair doesn't make it so. Fair is an average of what all consider not just the upper 2%

Edited by oldschool1962

What options (or option package) did you get?

I thought I mentioned it already but 502A was the package and we added the 75,000 mile extended warranty.

side note to my last comment........ I was not China or any other country bashing. As a Chef I buy many imported items but I know what to expect. Unfortunately I'm the type of person that likes to see Pennsylvania Mushrooms come from Pennsylvania and my beef come from the midwest and not be labled "Product of Mexico Canada and USA." I figure I'm putting me in the car and the food in me?

I seriously doubt if that will ever happen because from an economic standpoint, that would require consumers to behave irrationally. As consumers, we want to get the best deals we can on everything we purchase. Determining what's the "best deal" involves consideration of both price and quality. Where quality is equal, price is foremost. That would apply to any kind of commodity, such as mushrooms (assuming the cheaper Chinese mushrooms aren't tainted with lead or benzine). Cars are not a commodity. When it comes to choosing between, say, a mid-size sedan from one company and a similar vehicle from another, quality will often trump price, especially for car buyers whose budgets aren't tight. When one vehicle is superior to another in both price and quality, the decision is a no-brainer. Back in the early '70s, when Japanese cars were starting to flood the American market, there was a big buy-American campaign. Didn't work. The Japanese cars were superior to Detroit's products both price-wise and quality-wise. Domestic models have only just recently begun to catch up. Ford especially seems to have improved its product. That's why I've been looking at the FFH.

That said, when it comes to actually buying a specific vehicle, price will become the primary object and economically rational buyers will try to get the lowest price they can. The dealer's profit is not their concern; it's the dealer's, and it's everyone for him/herself. Adam Smith would approve.

I disagree a bit. There are folks that buy on price only. With today's marketing it's difficult for a consumer to get a fair and correct product evaluation. For example, we're looking to get a new washer. For every unit that someone claims is great, I can find an equal number of ratings that state otherwise. I ended up using CR to be the deciding edge. But that is fraught with error since trying to find a model they test with is almost impossible.

I buy American made products unless I believe it's inferior. Finding American products is sometimes difficult. And while the "back in the 70's" argument is used a lot, lets not forget that the 70's were over 40 years ago. Things have radically changed. I remember in the 70's Honda's were rust buckets. They turned it around and today are a decent car. Unfortunately the domestic manufacturers don't seem to get the same consideration. But it is changing.

Dan

Who knows, just my take on the whole thing. To each his own. To summarize my point, I don't think anyone has a problem with dealers making a profit, it's just that they never can be sure just how much is profit and did they get a really fair deal or did the dealer LOL when they walked out after signing the paperwork? :headscratch: :shrug:

Totally agree. I did find a way around this for our last three vehicles. I financed them through the credit union. They offer a buying service to search for the best out the door price with out charge or obligation and regardless of whether you huy their car or another take 1/4% off the loan rate. The loan has a no penalty early payoff clause. So if you decide to pay it all off in one month, that's ok.

When I bought the FFH in May 2009 they had a price that was $500 less than sticker. During that time they were going for sticker or more. When the car came in and I went to pick it up I was there and out in less than 20 minutes. So with the test drive and the pickup I spent less that 60 minutes in the dealership.

Dan

Question: Was the cost of the extended warranty on top of your price, or part of it?

The cost of the warranty was on top of the price I mentioned. That falls under the category of what we decided to finance compared to what we paid. This car we financed a chunk because of the negative equity in the 06 Odyssey. I think the cost of the warranty was around 1200.00.

As far as the 2000.00 premium over the Camry, you can be the only one to answer that. I can give some thoughts though. We purchased a Prius for my Wife the month prior to buying the FFH. I looked heavily at the Camry and if Toyota would have offered us more than 14,000 for a 06 Odyssey EX RES-Nav we probably would have stuck with Toyota. I liked the new style of the FFH over the Toyota and the more we looked the more it made sense to go with it and we were glad our Dealership was a bit more reasonable with trade. Heck the Black Book was 21,000. on our van and there was no way we were going to settle for less than the 19,500 we did get. Anyhow, the way the FFH performs, or should I say out performs the Camry is worth the extra change in my book. Better gas mileage, better power, nice ride and comfort.......The Camry is nice but it's not the FFH. The only thing I wish is that head room wasn't lost with the roof. We have the sunroof and even though I'm not tall, I have some issues that make the lost space from the roof troublesome. The headliner at the door is like 60grit against my bald head. Doohhh!!! Hehehe

akirby, aptos, etc......I like your style and actually....... great comments from everyone on both the car and........... I guess I took a chance on the level of intellect here and wasn't disappointed. It's always nice when people can share ideologies and not get carried away with the "nah, nah, na, boo, boo" approach. Hobby site I once belonged to would fall that way. Anyhow....I wish good conversations would happen more often and I can probably count on one hand the number of "good conversations" I've had in the last 5 years.

Edited by oldschool1962