Brakes Squeak  

48 members have voted

1. 1. My brakes squeak

• Not at all
    • A little when I brake lightly at low speed
    • Only when it's wet
    • Only when it's cold and for the first few miles
    • All the time

Hi guys . I've noticed now the cold weather is here that my brakes are speaking at low speed when I brake. Seems to have started with the cold weather. Gets better after I drive for a while. They feel fine otherwise.

Anyone else having problems ... Car has 14,000 kms.

mine are quiet - could be moisture and or rust that gets scraped off after being used a few times (see above link)

When the weather gets really cold (below freezing), my brakes squeek, but only at low speeds, like right before I'm coming to a stop. This is a pretty common issue. I've never had the time to take them into the dealer for an adjustment, because it's kind of hard to recreate the conditions.

Mine squeaks too. It s driving me crazy. Most of the time its in morning. But it only happens when i,m going really slow.

That's probably because its coldest in the morning.

My other cold weather nuisance is that, when I run the heater at low speeds, one of the fan bearings makes a soft chirping noise (sounds exactly like a cricket). Again, tough to re-create this issue, but I'll be taking her in for service at some point before the warranty expires.

Edited by mirak

When the weather gets really cold (below freezing), my brakes squeek, but only at low speeds, like right before I'm coming to a stop. This is a pretty common issue. I've never had the time to take them into the dealer for an adjustment, because it's kind of hard to recreate the conditions.

That's probably because its coldest in the morning.

My other cold weather nuisance is that, when I run the heater at low speeds, one of the fan bearings makes a soft chirping noise (sounds exactly like a cricket). Again, tough to re-create this issue, but I'll be taking her in for service at some point before the warranty expires.

The squeaking fan has been mentioned here before. These brake pads are used so little when you do light to moderate regenerative braking that a little squeal at low speeds (below 5 mph) is very common. The dealer can do very little. All cars are having this problem to one degree or another since the demise of asbestos pads. A heavy application of brakes at moderate speed that causes the mechanical brakes to be applied may alleviate the problem.

:drop:

That's no good for a 40k+ luxury car. Did you buy it off a dealer lot, or special order it? Perhaps sitting on the dealer lots the rotors got rusty. But then again, they would have squeeked from Day 1 if that was the case I'd imagine. I've always special ordered every vehicle I've bought, so I've never encountered any issues with any of the trucks I've ever owned. Hopefully the same will be the case if I order an MKZH in late March/early April.

Brake squeal is a very common complaint and it cuts across all price ranges of cars. See my post here

For the record, I haven't heard a peep from my MKZ's brakes. 15,600 miles.