Icebreaka

What's your long term fuel economy

Okay so it does seem to vary a decent amount amongst us. I'm still very much on the low side though at 33.1 currently which is disturbing. I drive as cautiously as I am able to without annoying too many people stuck behind me. I have found that ever since I took it in for the issue with my sync taking too much of a battery draw it hasn't been able to go into EV mode as easily in the past. I have seen some times before the car warms up where I can be stopped at a stop light, foot on the brake, meanwhile the ICE starts up and drives my MPG rating into the dirt while I sit idle. After driving for 5 or 10 minutes I can get it to go into EV mode but even that seems to be harder to hold than it did in the past. I'm almost due for my first checkup at the dealership so I'm going to mention my concerns and see if I can learn anything new. I am going to try bumping my tires up to high 30s PSI. I heard someone say they did 41 PSI with good results but I'm scared of damaging the tires.

I think we all do agree that temperature does play a big factor no matter what but some people's cars seem to be sticking in EV mode a lot easier than others. I am almost wondering what would happen if I threw caution to the wind completley and drove like a normal car. I have to expect I'd get only high 20s for MPG which would be pretty lame for a car that is designed to really save on fuel. I'm still loving my Fusion but I'm eager to get the 40MPG range that others are seeing.

I got my Fusion back at the tail end of July, and was reliably getting 38-41 on every trip. The past month and a half that number has been more like 33-36. Temperature didn't occur to me as an explanation because in Northern California it doesn't get that cold, but apparently 50 is enough to cause the drops.

I also have the (apparent) disadvantage of a short commute, which I chose partly because it meant I had the option of biking in (which I have yet to do, lazy lazy...). This isn't always an issue, as I've had my trip mileage be as high as 50 before (seeing that number was awesome), but with something like 8 stop lights and 3 stop signs, I'm doing too much accelerating for my taste.

My natural temperament is pretty well-suited for mileage, it seems. I've had no problems with accelerating slowly and steadily, breaking slowly and steadily, driving at reasonable speeds, and coasting as often as possible. I only have trouble sticking with it when people are behind me and unable to pass, I know how much I hate being behind a slowpoke (which, driving like this, takes a real slowpoke), and I dislike inflicting that upon others.

One thing that I'm really interested in, and haven't been able to answer myself, is how best to use the EV. I've been tending to use it to accelerate, since seeing the instant MPG reader nose-dive kills me, but it seems that might not be the best. The physicist in me thinks it wouldn't make too much of a difference (energy is energy), but I doubt in the messy real world that's the case.

Hilariously I forgot to report my lifetime average, it's 34.6 right now.

Edited by stupac2

That is still roughly 10 mpg more than the typical gas mileage of an ICE only mid-sized car. This is the way I look at it.

Cold weather is definately taking a toll on my milage. The other day it was around 20F, I drove the back roads home about 8 miles. The electronics didn't get warm enough to go EV until about 5 miles and then is cooled off quick so EV mode was sporatic. I was around 41 mpg and have dropped to 38, and counting, in these cold months. However, all reports say the average is around 34 mpg so I count my blessings.

Most of us are going into the first winter with a hybrid. We forget that the car it replaced probably went from 19 mpg. in summer to 15 mpg. in winter. That's much worse. I think

Ford recommends that you don't try to accelerate in EV mode; go with the traffic flow. At 20-40mph speeds, "feather" the accelerator to pop into the EV mode until The ICE comes back on. Anticipate stop lights and signs as best you can if traffic permits and accelerate modestly and brake modestly and EARLY. Keep accelerator pressure as steady as possible as that lets the computer settle into the best economy. Don't pulse the peddle to keep close behind the vehicle in front of you. Yes, someone will often dart in ahead. Breaking hard at the end of the stop is the worst. These techniques work in any car. Punch the AC button off below 70 F. OAT unless you need it for defogging. The auto mode calls for it more often. Wet roads, headwinds and cold weather cannot be helped. The reason they have such big effects is that the fuel flows are so much lower at 40 mpg. The added energy required for these effects is the same in any vehicle, it just is more noticeable in a hybrid.

Lee

One thing that I'm really interested in, and haven't been able to answer myself, is how best to use the EV...

I've taken home my FFH three weeks or 1500 miles ago. My avg is about the same as yours, maybe a little higher. Here's what I've learned so far. I grew up on the autobahn where the measure of efficiency used to be like how fast you managed to get from A to B with that car. After moving to the US a long time ago, I would still occasionally use my car as it was designed, make use of it's capabilities and enjoy them without regret. You can actually do some of that with the FFH, as I did, but you're bound to regret it, since at some point you'll have to realize the US has a speed limit.

I never understood why Porsche and the like are selling any cars in the US, since you can't use them over here - use them as we used to use them.

However, about a week ago, I made a choice to change my driving habits yet again, and the impact on my AVG was dramatic - I now try to use the EV on level terrain or down hill as much as I can - with minimal acceleration as long as I can without annoying my fellow citizens.

Equilibrium, that's what you strive for. You do the best you can with what you have and that's good enough. What that really means is you don't use the car to it's full potential, you optimize it's use. Ford has manged to make that a whole lot of fun.

Edited by flavius

Cold weather will have its effects, but even those will be better in the FFH than in conventional automobiles, as someone else here has pointed out.

While the FFH will run in EV mode below 47 mph, that doesn't necessarily mean it should always be used alone to accelerate. I've gotten better results, and avoided ticking off those behind me, by accelerating slowly in ICE to cruising speed, then backing off on the throttle to get back into EV mode and use that as much as possible to increase mileage. It does work better on downhills and flat terrain, but for every uphill there will eventually be a downhill. When it comes, go into EV mode and use it to your and your wallet's benefit.

It would be of interest to many here to go to the Prius forum at: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/. It is very large and comprehensive. They are very good vehicles but also have their problems. Now Prius's generally get 10 mpg. over the FFH and their owners get unhappy over the same mileage hits. We all are early adapters, of a soon to be tidal wave of fossil fuel use reduction. Besides, it's a nice, quiet, comfortable car. Have you ever had a car that's so much fun to drive? (Maybe the ones we used to drag with long ago.)

Lee

I agree totally how much fun the FFH is to drive, especially because of the SmartGauge readouts. I traded in a 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG for the FFH and actually like driving the FFH more. It won't do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and it won't turn a 12.4 quarter mile, but the actual driving of it is more engaging and entertaining. The seats are better, as are the audio system and NAV. The E55 absolutely could not be used to its potential, but the FFH can be everyday. It's also quieter and nicer for long drives.

It's always a challenge to not to appear like you're jumping on a bandwagon about things. I've given a great deal of thought to this and I just wanted to clarify that in no way am I trying to sound like I am complaining about the car in any of my posts. It was a decision and a trade off in many respects and after looking at similar, available vehicles.......I made the decision. It has been stated that winter will take it's toll on mileage. That was a given in my book. Some of you are having lower long-term and even short-term numbers than others and those reasons have also been discussed. I agree with the majority of the reasons but I believe what it comes down to is re-examining our over-all driving styles.

There's one thing I did want to hit on though. It's the way we seem to be justifing..... by comparison.... with what we would get in a non hybrid. I think we all do it as I have done so as well. I have stated I traded in a 06 Honda Odyssey and well.....if it wasn't on the Hwy....the mileage really sucked by Hybrid standards. My point is...though....that to have a mileage drop by some of the numbers I've seen here in posts.......is something that the manufacturers need to address. I'm wanting to believe they are working toward a solution but then again there may not be one available unless they utilize some of the things I talked about in another post. The way I see it is sure......I have a hybrid but I could have bought a four-banger with a 5spd and turned the same numbers for half the price but.............I chose a hybrid.

Now...... I'm still pulling the same numbers I was in October so......I'm still on target with my goal. That was to and really is the whole idea behind the Hybrid......to save enough $$$$ at the pump (in my book) to justify or even help offset the higher price-tag.

Everyone has their own reasons this was just mine. Going out on a limb here.....it was all economical at the pump in relation to our new driving habits and it wasn't at all ecological for us. But I'm not trying to nor do I wish to get sucked into that debate....not here. JMOHO

I agree. I certainly didn't go to the FFH for ecological reasons. I did it for two reasons. First, I did want to save money on gasoline, but secondly I wanted an automobile that would be interesting to drive, had lots of features to keep me interested in the driving experience, and a car that drove and rode well. The minute I drove the FFH I was hooked. It rode as well as the car I was giving up, and it was SO much more entertaining and fun to drive. I look forward to every drive in the thing.

I noticed in the truck that I gave up for the FFH that my mileage would drop between 1.5 and 2 MPG in the Winter overall. Considering that I got 14.5 average in the Summer that would be a 13% drop. For the FFH a 13% drop would be 4.8MPG. So a nearly 5MPG drop in mileage would be what a normal engine would get. So far I'm seeing about that which makes the hybrid no worse than a normal car.

The problem is that 5MPG *sounds* like a lot but in terms of percentage it is the same.

Jon

I agree. I certainly didn't go to the FFH for ecological reasons. I did it for two reasons. First, I did want to save money on gasoline, but secondly I wanted an automobile that would be interesting to drive, had lots of features to keep me interested in the driving experience, and a car that drove and rode well. The minute I drove the FFH I was hooked. It rode as well as the car I was giving up, and it was SO much more entertaining and fun to drive. I look forward to every drive in the thing.

I noticed in the truck that I gave up for the FFH that my mileage would drop between 1.5 and 2 MPG in the Winter overall. Considering that I got 14.5 average in the Summer that would be a 13% drop. For the FFH a 13% drop would be 4.8MPG. So a nearly 5MPG drop in mileage would be what a normal engine would get. So far I'm seeing about that which makes the hybrid no worse than a normal car.

The problem is that 5MPG *sounds* like a lot but in terms of percentage it is the same.

Jon

That is definately a good way to look at it as I didn't really think of it like that. Like the rest of you guys, my mileage has also tanked as we have gotten into really cold weather. However, it is nice to realize that even though many of us have dropped into the mid and low 30's, that is still incredible when compared to what a standard vehicle would be doing. My performance SUV that I sold for my Hybrid ironically didn't see any fuel economy drop in the winter. That is likely because it was rather heavily modified and had a custom tune.

Another view: The fuel consumption difference between 14.5 mpg. and 12.5 mpg. is .011 gal/mile. The difference between 40 mpg and 34.5 mpg (the same percentage) is .004 gal/mile. You could say the increase in cold weather fuel consumption is almost three times (.011/.004= 2.75) worse in the lower mpg non hybrid.

Lee

It has been bitter cold here the past 4 days, and I mean cold. I wake up to -30C the past few days. I will let my car warm up via the remote car starter, and make sure the Block Heater timer is setup for 3 hours of warming before I head off to work. I'm averaging to work aout 11L/100KM.. huge difference, so basically I'm driving a V6 in these weather conditions, not a hybrid... which was to be expected.

Edited by Zacher

It has been bitter cold here the past 4 days, and I mean cold. I wake up to -30C the past few days. I will let my car warm up via the remote car starter, and make sure the Block Heater timer is setup for 3 hours of warming before I head off to work. I'm averaging to work aout 11L/100KM.. huge difference, so basically I'm driving a V6 in these weather conditions, not a hybrid... which was to be expected.

I like the inclusion of the litres/100km rating as that's what I typically have my car set to as a fellow Canadian. I have a long term right now of 7l/100km which when I switch the gauges gets me someting like 33.6 MPG. I feel somewhat relieved now to know that I'm really getting typically results for the colder weather at this time. In Vancouver its just hanging around freezing so I should be greatful I am thinking that its not minus 30 celcius.

Thanks for all the posts in this thread, I think its helped ease some of my fears that I had a defective car.

I don't think that your 33.6 mpg is indicative of a "defective car". There is no question that colder temperatures will have some effect, and when you get down to the temperatures you have described that effect can and probably should be considerable. Under the conditions you have described, 33.6 mpg is probably pretty good. Two other considerations:

First, I'm guessing that colder temperature effects will be worse on shorter trips. I'm thinking that on longer cruises the engine will be able to maintain a proper operating temperature and reward you with better mpg. I'm just guessing about that but will put it to the test when I take a long drive this Friday.

Secondly, you will probably find that the preponderance of mileage reports in this thread will come from people who are both working at getting high mileage and are proud of their achievement. There will be a few from those who are concerned about what they feel might be mileage that is too low. Many who don't get good mileage, or who either don't work at it or don't care about it, just won't be posting here. If that is true, it means that the mileage figures we find here are skewed toward the high end of the spectrum.

For my part, I've averaged 39.4 over 900 miles. But every one of those miles was driven with the intent of getting the best mpg I could. That meant planning better routes for higher mileage, thinking ahead about hills and upcoming terrain, using the EV mode as much as possible, and applying a lighter foot to the accelerator pedal than I ever have in the past. If I hadn't done that, I would probably be in the 34 mpg range and probably happy about it. I think your mpg, under your conditions, is probably to be expected and not at all a problem.

I don't think that your 33.6 mpg is indicative of a "defective car". There is no question that colder temperatures will have some effect, and when you get down to the temperatures you have described that effect can and probably should be considerable. Under the conditions you have described, 33.6 mpg is probably pretty good. Two other considerations:

First, I'm guessing that colder temperature effects will be worse on shorter trips. I'm thinking that on longer cruises the engine will be able to maintain a proper operating temperature and reward you with better mpg. I'm just guessing about that but will put it to the test when I take a long drive this Friday.

Secondly, you will probably find that the preponderance of mileage reports in this thread will come from people who are both working at getting high mileage and are proud of their achievement. There will be a few from those who are concerned about what they feel might be mileage that is too low. Many who don't get good mileage, or who either don't work at it or don't care about it, just won't be posting here. If that is true, it means that the mileage figures we find here are skewed toward the high end of the spectrum.

For my part, I've averaged 39.4 over 900 miles. But every one of those miles was driven with the intent of getting the best mpg I could. That meant planning better routes for higher mileage, thinking ahead about hills and upcoming terrain, using the EV mode as much as possible, and applying a lighter foot to the accelerator pedal than I ever have in the past. If I hadn't done that, I would probably be in the 34 mpg range and probably happy about it. I think your mpg, under your conditions, is probably to be expected and not at all a problem.

I took delivery about a month ago, and have around 1500 miles on the FFH. The long term average MPG is around 34MPG, with about 700 miles+ accured during an extended trip from N. California to LA over the Thanksgiving holidays. I was getting a long term 35MPG just after that trip, but we were driving at 70MPH+ on the I5 at times. I calculated around 33MPG by using actual fill-up data for the 2 times I've filled the tank. I've tried to be in EV mode as much as possible around town, w/o being too slow to aggravate other drivers. I must admit I don't know enough about the techniques to achieve optimal mileage, so was just using the gauges and some common sense, along with reading about what others are doing to get a balance of high mileage and reasonable driver etique.

I have experienced some short trips which can exceed 60MPG+, primarily in town with little traffic so I can maximize the EV mode. I hear the mileage will get better after 5K miles, and I'm sure I'll learn some techniques to help achieve better mileage in the next few months. In the mean time, its been a lot of fun driving this new video game on wheels.

Edited by Cary28

Hey IceBreaka,

Just to clarify, yes my long term is 7.8L/100Km... (an increase from 6.4L/100km in Sept) my avg drive to work is higher due to the car not able to warm up to the recommended temp. before I park it.

Everyone in the cold zones should check their tire(or tyre) pressures also.

Lee

Edited by lolder

I've had my FFH for about 3 weeks now and have noticed my overall average dropping some. Of course it wasn't that high to begin, still unlearning all my bad driving habits. Right now it's at 36.4 with 1200 miles on the car.

We also own a Escape hybrid and have noticed that the mileage has also dropped in it with the cold weather hitting us here in Ohio.

I did a little test drive around my small town tonight, circuit was 8.5 miles, temperature about 70 deg., 7 traffic lights, 3 stop signs, 30 and 35 mph speed limits, no traffic. The first circuit after warm up, I pulsed with ICE 5 mph above limit, glided in N with ICE off to 5 mph under limit, shifted to D, pulsed with ICE, etc. This is called Pulse and Glide (P&G). The mpg was 62.8. I did another run in D all the way with cruise control set at speed limit and car cycling normally between ICE and EV mode. The mpg was 60.3. Now that's a very small difference in fuel and the stops may not have been exactly equal but they were very gently done in both runs. The lower mpg run in D, however, is indicative of the increased EV mode losses. The Pulse and Glide method used no EV mode as I was careful to keep the Charge/discharge arrows off. In this case, the ICE is loaded up by acceleration demands to create kinetic energy (which has no intrinsic losses) that is recouped as you coast. The only difference is the energy storage mode. In P & G it is kinetic and in D it is chemical (in the battery). It certainly is not usually worth it to P & G unless you have OCD (which properly should be CDO, arranged alphabetically). My wife thinks I'm nuts! driving around at midnight. She called me on the Sync phone and it startled me out of my wits.

Lee

Interesting information, although everyone else I've read seems to feel that the system as a whole functions better when kept out of neutral.

Regarding OCD, you have additional options. While CDO is more alphabetical, there is always DOC for the paperwork and computer minded and COD for the vegetarians out there and lovers of things fishy. There are additional options as well, using other permutations and even distinct formats, but it's not like I'm obsessed with this stuff or anything. I don't feel compelled to get into this stuff at all actually. I think I'll just take the FFH out, run through town a couple circuits, and see what I can do in terms of mileage. I think I'd better take my meds first.

Most of us are going into the first winter with a hybrid. We forget that the car it replaced probably went from 19 mpg. in summer to 15 mpg. in winter. That's much worse. I think

Ford recommends that you don't try to accelerate in EV mode; go with the traffic flow. At 20-40mph speeds, "feather" the accelerator to pop into the EV mode until The ICE comes back on. Anticipate stop lights and signs as best you can if traffic permits and accelerate modestly and brake modestly and EARLY. Keep accelerator pressure as steady as possible as that lets the computer settle into the best economy. Don't pulse the peddle to keep close behind the vehicle in front of you. Yes, someone will often dart in ahead. Breaking hard at the end of the stop is the worst. These techniques work in any car. Punch the AC button off below 70 F. OAT unless you need it for defogging. The auto mode calls for it more often. Wet roads, headwinds and cold weather cannot be helped. The reason they have such big effects is that the fuel flows are so much lower at 40 mpg. The added energy required for these effects is the same in any vehicle, it just is more noticeable in a hybrid.

Lee

These are very good comments regarding getting the best out of it you can given the conditions. It has turned cold in many places and I find the winds are now a far greater factor than in summer. It seems in my commute now I fight headwinds both directions!! However when the winds are with you it sure does make a big difference. My mileage is dropping just like everyone predicted to about 39 now from a high of 42 in the summer. These are the computer's number but I think it still reflects the decline which will likely continue as the weather turns consistenly colder. Some have said MPG improves with miles on car but I have about 3800 now and anything like that has probably happened already in my case.

I find myself leaving the heat off when bearable which in some cases keeps the engine from running as much to get it warm. It's interesting to show people how I can simply hit the Auto HVAC button and make the engine start! It has been quite obvious lately with sleet and rain coming down putting extra slush on the road that invariably mileage tanks. Combine that with this recent storm winds and my mileage has dropped even more rapidly.

I read many people doing the standard math after fillup to calculate mileage so I think I might start that and see for myself any delta to the vehicle's calculation.