Sign in to follow this  
neal702

First Oil Change

I am an old timer when it comes to oil changes and belive the first one should be done at

1000 miles. This post is just to inform everyone that the oil filter info in our owners manual is

incorrect. Our hybrids use a spin on filter , fl-910 , not the cartrage filter stated in the owner

manual ... like I said this is just a heads up

Neal

2010 Fusion Hybrid

I am an old timer when it comes to oil changes and belive the first one should be done at 1000 miles. This post is just to inform everyone that the oil filter info in our owners manual is incorrect. Our hybrids use a spin on filter , fl-910 , not the cartridge filter stated in the owner manual ... like I said this is just a heads up

I too am old-fashioned in this regard, I changed mine at 500 miles before I took an out-of-state trip, otherwise I would have done it at 1,000 miles as you did. Some choose to spend an extra $20 to order out for pizza, I'll skip one pizza and do the oil change and sleep better at night.

I use Fram oil filters, in that case the regular spin-on filter is PH9566, not the cartridge type like my wife's Escape Hybrid has.

Below are the details I got from advanceauto.com by searching on 2010 FFH:

Fram Oil Filter

Part No. PH9566

ExtraGuard

K&N Filter

Part No. HP-1002

Performance Gold

Purolator Oil Filter

Part No. L10241

Premium Plus

Purolator Oil Filter

Part No. PL10241

PureOne

For mikenmar: it's routine for each manufacturer to recommend their own brand of oil. I use a full synthetic and have used Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Valvoline in the past. As long as they are a name brand which meets the API specifications (they note that on the label), I consider it fine.

I am an old timer when it comes to oil changes and belive the first one should be done at

1000 miles. This post is just to inform everyone that the oil filter info in our owners manual is

incorrect. Our hybrids use a spin on filter , fl-910 , not the cartrage filter stated in the owner

manual ... like I said this is just a heads up

Neal

2010 Fusion Hybrid

Can you give part number with links and the source of information? The reason I ask is I know nothing about oil filters and I will getting my first oil change in a couple of weeks when I reach 5K miles. Thanks for the heads up.

Can you give part number with links and the source of information? The reason I ask is I know nothing about oil filters and I will getting my first oil change in a couple of weeks when I reach 5K miles. Thanks for the heads up.

What kind of oil should we be using (the manual solely recommends Ford's products)? Is synthetic OK?

Okay, now I freaked out. I was just going to the dealer and letting them do the oil change. Now, I am worried they will screw it up. What oil should I use? Is synthetic better if I do a change every 5K miles? What oil type? What filter? I want the information so I can make sure the dealer does not f..k it up.

I would use synthetic. Mobil 1 is solid stuff. But for the love of all that is holy please do not torture your FFH with FRAM Oil filters! Get a motorcraft, they are quality and the same price!

The manual says part number FL-2017-B for the filter and SAE 5W-20 oil So, how do we know what to do?

I don't believe synthetic is necessary for this vehicle, but that's just me. rlawson, if you're taking it to the dealer, they shouldn't screw it up since they're supposedly certified to perform maintenance on hybrids.

I appreciate the response. What about the filter issue raised above? Thanks.

If you use a Fram filter (I won't be) use a Double Guard *not* the orange ones - anyway a few weeks ago I was at the dealership & walked through the service dept and asked who did hybrid maintenance (no one in particular) anyway one mechanic who wasn't busy at the time looked up what fluids the FFH calls for - engine oil 5-30 synthetic (I've heard ((not there)) Mobil-1 is good cause its inexpensive (?) and easy to find.)

Spoke too soon...Page 298 of Owner's guide says Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US) or Motorcraft SAE 5W20 Super Premium Motor Oil (Canada).

Page 297 says Oil filter is Motorcraft FL-2017-B. If you take it to the dealer to do the change, they should be using these.

That is what I thought but this thread started by posting that the FL-2017-B filter was wrong.

On a new engine release for any manufacturer (which the FFH is) I would never do anything but go to the dealer for the first few changes, and that includes doing it myself (which I do after a year or two). The reason is that there are often printing errors, cross-reference problems, and other issues which need to get worked out for the first year or so. IF your dealer does the changes you are covered. If you (or iffy-lube) do the change and use the wrong oil, procedure, or filter you are responsible for any damage as far as the manufacturer is concerned. Getting changes done at the dealer saved a good friend about $6,000.00 (new engine) when there were problems with a particular... shall we say Japanese... car when the mfgr could not get the oil recommendations right. They tried everything to get out of it but having it done at the dealer within the recommendations *in effect at the time* meant that he had no responsibility for the repairs. A number of others (including those with paperwork from other oil change places) ended up paying at least partial costs for the repairs. Most manufacturers will not accept "I did it on xx/xx/2009 myself" when it comes to a problem that they can possibly blame on bad maintenance.

The dealer also uses the service manual references rather than the owner's manual (or some database that iffy-lube may or may not have correct data in)

I consider it to be cheap insurance. I always get dealer coupons that end up costing me less than iffy-lube and not much more than it would cost me to do it myself. Plus if I get a real mechanic at the dealer doing the work I take the opportunity to pick his brain about the car as he is working :>

Jon

That is what I thought but this thread started by posting that the FL-2017-B filter was wrong.

Reply to Neal702:

Don't forget that, since this is a hybrid, that the oil, no matter what type, is not used as much as a conventional engine. Since the electric engine is entirely capable of moving the car by itself, the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) is used much, much less than a conventional ICE. That's why Ford's recommended oil change (for the Fusion Hybrid) intervals are at 10,000 miles instead of every 5,000, which is customary with most Ford products. And, more often than not, the electric motor (or engine) is providing locomotion to the car in total conjunction with the ICE, so even if the ICE is moving the car, the electric motor is more than just a helping hand. Hope this helps your decision about the oil changes. The old 3,000 mile oil change may have been advisable with my old Lincoln Town Car, or my Lincoln LS, but oil changes every 3,000 miles may be total overkill for the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Just a minor correction: Ford recently bumped their recommended oil change interval to 7,500 miles for all cars. I think they did this last year or possibly the year before. 5,000 was the standard for the previous 10 years. For example, my 1999 Towncar says 5,000 in the manual.

did I say (type) 5w-30, meant 5-20 ((ugh)) - agree use the dealer at first ! - here is what I do (& plan to do) let them do the oil change but rather than sit in the waiting room drinking coffee I walk around, 1st stop is the new car lot (not necessarily the showroom) where I can b.s. with sales about whats moving, kick tires etc, then make my way to the oil change area (presumably where my car is) if I get a chance will ask how it looks, when their all done with it and should just drive away I first get my trusty tire gauge out and check all 4 tires then check for oil leaks (the FFH has a big plastic removable thing under the engine (to improve aerodynamics but it also masks leaks so I may need to drill a few small holes in it ?)) anyway if the tires are okay & no visible leaks I then pop the hood and check the oil level / all fluid levels (I'm not trying to block their drive but if they missed something this is a good time to spot it) , takes a little extra time and your gonna get a little dirty doing it but I look at it like getting the best of both worlds ...

Drill holes????????????????????????????????? Don't need to start hacking up the car that way. The plastic thing pops off. Be gentle to her.... ;>)

Just a minor correction: Ford recently bumped their recommended oil change interval to 7,500 miles for all cars. I think they did this last year or possibly the year before. 5,000 was the standard for the previous 10 years. For example, my 1999 Towncar says 5,000 in the manual.

I did purchase the prepaid maintenance with this car. I do not have the time to chase around for disposal of filters and used oil. The interval that I was told based on this plan was 10K miles. I will follow up on that to be sure. :stop:

A member of the Volvo V70R website did an interesting test of various oil filters. You can access by searching on www.v70r.com for "oil filter".