Waiting for my car to arrive and reading through the heavy duty Sync manual. This isn't

entirely obvious, so somebody must know...

Can I burn a DVD (or CD) of just MP3 files in folders - a direct copy of what is on my home

PC and use that to play MP3s? This would be a hell of a lot of music stored that I can

keep in the car. If anything happens to the disc, who cares.

If this is so, is there some special format for the folders on the disc? I use a program to

update the meta data in all my music folders (MediaMonkey) and wonder if these will work

as is once burned to the DVD... this would be awesome if possible.

Reading the Sync manual hits at this, but no details.

Yes make sure your id3 tags are there. Version 2.3 if possible. I use an external USB powered hard drive with a 30gb partition for my Sync usb hookup. Had problems with music not cataloging and contacted someone through chat on the Sync website. He told me that the songs should have the Title, Genre, Track#, and Artist in the id3 tag at the very least. Not sure if it works the same with cd's or dvd's though.

If you burn a DVD full of MP3's the CD drive will read them (and the folder structure) but you cannot load the MP3's into the jukebox. You can only load audio CD's into the jukebox. The good news is that a DVD will hold many tracks. I use both methods, plus the satellite radio, and I am not much of a music buff!

I need to back up, the 501 has a CD reader the 502(A) has a DVD reader ?

What Tx-traveler said!! Yes---502A has a DVD reader and it does play MP3s from a burned DVD. A DVD will hold 1200ish mp3 files.

Ok, so I burnt an audio cd, but it does not display any of the song titles or artist names, it just sayd unknown title or unknown/untitled song. So it will not copy them to jukebox.

Will jukebox ONLY copy from store purchased cds? Or do I have to burn a cd in MP3 format? ( I notice in audio format, there are no files or folders to arrange on the burnt cd)

I need to back up, the 501 has a CD reader the 502(A) has a DVD reader ?

I am wondering the same thing. I do not have the Navigation system, just the 501 package. It reads a cd with mp3 files just fine. I would like to know if it will read a DVD full of mp3's.

No real definitive answer yet.

The Navi has a 1 disc DVD drive. The non-navi units have either 1 CD or a 6 CD changer. No DVD on those.

In MP3 Format, a CD will hold around 300 tracks.

My 2010 SE stock 6 disc changer will play cds with MP3s no matter if the music is from itunes or not just fine, you might get 300 songs, but they would all have to be really short songs. I usually get a 100 or so on mine. I think you would have to have the DVD player to play any type of DVD.

My 2010 SE stock 6 disc changer will play cds with MP3s no matter if the music is from itunes or not just fine, you might get 300 songs, but they would all have to be really short songs. I usually get a 100 or so on mine. I think you would have to have the DVD player to play any type of DVD.

I don't know how many they hold as I use my iPod, but I know they hold a helluva lot more than 15. I used to back up my Napster tunes (back in 1999 before Napster became Crapster and dialup was the norm) to CD and it would hold a BUNCH.

I don't know how many they hold as I use my iPod, but I know they hold a helluva lot more than 15. I used to back up my Napster tunes (back in 1999 before Napster became Crapster and dialup was the norm) to CD and it would hold a BUNCH.

I have a CD with 182 mp3's on it. Of course like everything it depends on the length of the songs.

I have a CD with 182 mp3's on it. Of course like everything it depends on the length of the songs.

Exactly. CD's will hold 700MB of data. The Track length and bitrate at which the track was recorded will dictate how many mp3 files will make up 700MB.

Most popular songs from CD's are 4-5 minutes.

At a bitrate of 128Kbps, these will be approximately 4-5 MB per song.

700MB = 170 files ~ 4MB each.

With a 6 Disc changer, that's around 1000 songs.

So the only way to load up the built in hard drive is to rip audio cd's one by one? No transfer from usb, bluetooth or anything? Is there any sluggishness/downside with just having all music on a thumb drive then?

Ok, I just wasted an hour of my life that I'd like back. I backed up some mp3's I still had on my desktop to a DVD-R and attempted to play it in my Fusion. It wouldn't read it. The 6-Disc player will not read a DVD. Case closed.

I have the single ( I think) cd player & it plays dvd movies when in park. So it can read them.

to recap the 6 disk system (in the 501A) only does CDs the single disk system (502A) reads DVDs

So the only way to load up the built in hard drive is to rip audio cd's one by one? No transfer from usb, bluetooth or anything? Is there any sluggishness/downside with just having all music on a thumb drive then?

Only way to load jukebox is with CDA - stupid attempt at DRM. I use a 16gb thumbdrive with all my mp3's on it. Haven't noticed any issues except cant get voice control to work. No biggie, it's usually on play-all radom anyways.

I use an 8gb usb drive, voice control works for me. I had mp3s on a DVD at first, but its unusable. Songs would sometimes take several seconds to switch and their metadata would not show up. USB with the same files works perfect.

1 yes to voice 1 no to voice... can anyone confirm it has to do with the size of the USB drive or could it just be user/car error? (no offense). I am planning to buy a 32GB flash drive for all of my MP3's