smr2112

FFH - Help on Warranty Coverage, Questions on ESP

While I wait for my car to magically appear out of thin air, I was wondering about

getting an extended warranty. Having a problem free Acura for the past 5 years,

I am generally not a fan of extended warranties. However, I think I may need it

for this car (not because of Ford, just complexity of tech

and car in general) - or is the car really less complex in some respects?

Has anybody seen this, prices seem very reasonable and worth it

http://www.myfordwarranty.com/

Question -

They hybrid portion of the warranty (8/100) - what does it cover exactly? I'd be

curious to see this in writing if anybody has a PDF. The Motorcraft

site has the manuals for the car, but the warranty under FFH says

"except hybrid" (a mistake).

This would determine what ESP I'd want/need (maybe).

I am in your same situation trying to get things settled before my car arrives. It seems that website has some of the best pricing but 2 questions: Can I set it up in advanced of my car arriving so my bank finances it all together? 2) will the dealer match that price so I can just do it all in one sit down session when I pick up the car.

I don't want to get in to a situation where I pick up the car and then call these people to find out the prices went up since I now have 1 miles on my car

Your selling dealership should match the price you get and roll it into your loan. If not, you have up to one year or 12,000 miles to buy the contract you want without a penalty. Any Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer can handle it for you, if they sell Ford ESP. After a year/12,000 miles there is a $100 surcharge on the contract to the dealership. They set the "retail" prices on the ESP contracts just like they do the vehicles they sell.

So if there's a 12mo/12,000mi period where you can buy it, there's really no rush. I asked my dealer about this and told him that since I put 3K miles per month on my car, it will have 100K miles even before it hits 3 years. With this in mind (and while I wait for the ordered car to arrive), they told me the 3yr/100K ESP price was retail $1,957 and $1,581 my cost since I'm such a valued customer (I would feel special but those "just for you" price knockdowns are gimmicks to make you think you're getting more value than you are). As of right now I am up in the air as to whether to purchase it, I am leaning toward "no" and able to change my mind in the first year if issues start to arise, but still have not made a final decision.

i did buy an extended warranty, 8 years 100K miles. I generally keep a car that long. I did have an extended warranty on my Acura, and I found that it improved my service experience at the dealer because they simply fixed things I did not know needed fixing. It eliminated the thought process of whether to fix something or wait. I liked that. I do not know if it paid for itself, but I liked the treatment. I paid $1255 for the warranty with a $50 deductible. I bought it from a dealer I found in Indiana (I live in Atlanta). I spoke to the salesperson there and negotiated the price. My own dealer wanted $1700 for the warranty with $100 deductible. Ford wanted to sell it from the GenuineService website for about $1600.00. Anyone looking to buy an ESP should shop it around.

My own dealer wanted $1700 for the warranty with $100 deductible. Ford wanted to sell it from the GenuineService website for about $1600.00. Anyone looking to buy an ESP should shop it around.

That is how it was when I bought the Prius, the finance guy at that dealership told me it was a $2,000 value that they would sell to me for $1,695, wow what a guy. I declined. After following a lead on a Prius forum I bought the same warranty from a dealer in Kansas for $775. Turns out it was only ever used to replace a transmission seal and that was just $240, but it's an insurance policy against the big-ticket breakdowns and I guess they made a little from me.

Hi rlawson4...would you mind providing the contact info? I was offered this same ESP for $2450...I declined.

http://warrickmotorco.dealerconnection.com/?lang=en

Ask for Michael Potts. Please tell him that Richard Lawson in Atlanta sent you. He was very helpful and will likely remember me.

I re-checked my paperwork and I paid $1255 for 8 years, 100K miles $50 deductible. I am sure he would do the same for you.

Richard Lawson

Here is the extended warranty form I am now in the process of reading.

I got this from myfordwarranty.com and have a question on if the pricing

shown applies to the FFH.

http://warrickmotorco.dealerconnection.com/?lang=en

Ask for Michael Potts. Please tell him that Richard Lawson in Atlanta sent you. He was very helpful and will likely remember me.

This link shows that he is the owner and GM of the dealership, certainly the guy in a position to approve the deals. I am going to send him a note and see what price I can get, thanks!

http://warrickmotorco.dealerconnection.com/ourTeam/

An e-mail from the dealer behind myfordwarranty.com tells me that the ESP pricing is

the same for standard Fusion and Hybrid fusion.

This link shows that he is the owner and GM of the dealership, certainly the guy in a position to approve the deals. I am going to send him a note and see what price I can get, thanks!

http://warrickmotorco.dealerconnection.com/ourTeam/

I noted that too. If you look at the size of the staff, it must be a pretty small dealership. That is why I dealt with him. I appreciated actually talking to an actual person. It worked well. They faxed out the paperwork to me right away and then mailed it to me as well. I have not received the package from Ford, but I did call Ford and it does show the warranty in the system.

Richard

An e-mail from the dealer behind myfordwarranty.com tells me that the ESP pricing is the same for standard Fusion and Hybrid fusion.

That seemed to make sense to me since the hybrid system is already covered for 100k under its own warranty, unknown why they have apparently split them out as they have, or at least it seems like they have. Otherwise I think I would have been able to purchase a warranty on the ford-esp site.

And Richard - I checked the location of that dealership and I have traveled that part of I-74 in western IN in the past, it's pretty rural and maybe the best place to go for a good price.

Also note - I am checking out that myfordwarranty.com site, and reviewing the plan levels. I saw that the premium level is the only one that covers audio, and I also did a search on "nav" and "sync" in the plan details for items covered and did not find any matches. ???

and I also did a search on "nav" and "sync" in the plan details for items covered and did not find any matches. ???

I have been looking for the same thing. Please post if you find any information about its coverage on the nav/sync system.

I have been looking for the same thing. Please post if you find any information about its coverage on the nav/sync system.

And another e-mail from those guys claim:

> Sync/Navigation is covered under PremiumCare.

I'd certainly hope/expect this to be the case, but being how expensive that thing

will be to replace if it goes, I'd call Ford to confirm. Reading the contract, all it

says is "audio" - and SYNC is audio, but alot more too.

And you know if anything breaks, it's going to be something made by Microsoft ;)

And you know if anything breaks, it's going to be something made by Microsoft ;)

Having that Microsoft bump logo on my console is a bit unsettling......... ;(

And another e-mail from those guys claim:

> Sync/Navigation is covered under PremiumCare.

I would definitely want that written in on the contract or something because you know when it comes time for a $1000.00 fix they will say "the contract does not specifically state that the navigation system is covered"

*edit* on genuineservice.com under "high tech" in dash nav system (factory installed) is covered under the premium plan

oh and ps... proud user of MS products here :)

I got an email back from the myfordwarranty.com site, which appears to be a dealer in Rhode Island, they say that yes the nav and sync is covered in the Premium coverage.

I also got an email back from the dealer in Indiana, for a high-mile driver like me, 4yr/100k with $100 deductible would be $945 which I think is the same price that was on the myfordwarranty site.

I got an email back from the myfordwarranty.com site, which appears to be a dealer in Rhode Island, they say that yes the nav and sync is covered in the Premium coverage.

I also got an email back from the dealer in Indiana, for a high-mile driver like me, 4yr/100k with $100 deductible would be $945 which I think is the same price that was on the myfordwarranty site.

I think that price is likely better than from Ford direct or your local dealer.

Richard

Just for kicks...

Has anyone purchased a warranty on a car and actually used it enough to exceed the amt paid for the warranty?

I am on the fence whether or not to get one once my car arrives. I like the peace of mind but then again if I lived on the top of a mountain and someone offered flood insurance, peace of mind does not really matter. (horrible example but you get my point :) )

Has anyone purchased a warranty on a car and actually used it enough to exceed the amt paid for the warranty?

I think there are certainly some who were glad they got it, my brother-in-law bought a used pickup and had the 100k extended warranty put into the deal, 4 months later his engine needed to be replaced and was almost $4k, so for some it is worth it.

But I am like you, recognizing that it is just an insurance policy. I used to never get them, and was on the fence for this one and I think my tipping point was $1,000. When my local dealer said $1,581 I was going to decline, but now with this other dealer at $945 I will get it.

My wife has an Escape hybrid and the only thing that has ever gone wrong was some fan in the back that cools the HV battery. The wrench light went on, we took it to the dealer and they said sorry this is not covered under the hybrid warranty. I guess the fact that this component would not exist if it were not a hybrid and thus declining it under hybrid system coverage seem ludicrous, well don't pay attention to that part. That repair was I think $130 and another $100 for some firmware update stuff, if I had the extended warranty there it would probably have been covered. But I guess it would take several of these small repairs or one big one to make it worth the price. The price I was quoted for her coverage at purchase was $3,000 so we said NO and have not asked about it again.

Thanks Richard for the info. I'll shop around like you suggested. I think another poster suggested myfordwarranty.com and that seem to have good prices also. You also answered my next question - verification that Ford acknowledges your warranty.

You mentioned 8 year/100k...did you mean 7 year/100k?

THANKS!

I confused myself. It was 7 years 100K (84 months). I think that is where I got the "8" That time period works pretty well for me. I keep my cars about 6-7 years. I drive 15K miles per year. My reasoning for the warranty was mainly because the car is in its first model year and I wanted the full warranty to match the Hybrid parts. I also think (from experience) that dealerships are more likely to find little things wrong with the car when you have the warranty. That was my experience with Acura. They seemed to fix things I had no idea were even broken.

That is how it was when I bought the Prius, the finance guy at that dealership told me it was a $2,000 value that they would sell to me for $1,695, wow what a guy. I declined. After following a lead on a Prius forum I bought the same warranty from a dealer in Kansas for $775. Turns out it was only ever used to replace a transmission seal and that was just $240, but it's an insurance policy against the big-ticket breakdowns and I guess they made a little from me.

While new to this forum, I've had my FFH since May 09 and simply love it. I too, like most who have commented here, was looking for an extended warranty. My dealer offered me a ridiculous price ($1800 for $100 deductible 72month) and my credit union offered an after market company that we used for our 05 Escape who just is terrible. So i went looking. I contacted Ford directly and got their price, then I found: http://www.fordwarrantys.com/

Decent price. I contacted them and we chatted a bit, seems they are the EW Depot of the interent and can offer up excellent prices because they deal in volume and are not greedy. When I verified from Ford that any dealer can sell them, I bought one. Ended up with a 100.000mile/84 month $50 deductible for $1295. The best deal I could find.